Corrine Kenner's Christmas Tarot

missy

tarotmama said:
if I were going to make a tarot out of them, I'd have to change the artwork somehow or do some collage, otherwise it'd feel like cheating.

Since the images are copyright-free postcards, which she freely states on her site, I don't know how this can be considered "cheating."

Now, it may not be creative enough for your taste, but I don't see it as "cheating." She didn't steal anyone's artwork. These are copyright-free images.

I can understand if someone doesn't like what she has done with the images or if someone wants to do their own deck, but the word "cheating" implies that she has done something immoral, which she has not.

Sheri said:
I think that is why when there is a collaborative deck done here on AT, no one is allowed to use an image "as found."

If I personally had photographed an image, I would hope I would be able to use my own photography it in a collaborative deck, since I took it with my camera. That is a different animal altogether and not what I think we are discussing here. In fact, I have looked through the collaborative decks and in at least one oracle I saw a member who used a photograph they had taken.

Bernice

Hello missy,

I think you're confusing a 'found' image with one that has been specifically (digitally) created by an artist.

If I were to take photographs and use them for a card deck, the images are mine. I 'created them', as you say.

If I were to post them on the net for friends and public to see and download, any person could claim that they are 'as found' and use them to create whatever they want.

Bee :)

tarotmama

missy said:
Now, it may not be creative enough for your taste, but I don't see it as "cheating." She didn't steal anyone's artwork. These are copyright-free images.

I can understand if someone doesn't like what she has done with the images or if someone wants to do their own deck, but the word "cheating" implies that she has done something immoral, which she has not.

Obviously they are public domain images. No one is even suggesting that she *stole* the images.

It's sort of like baking cookies for a bake sale. One person uses the recipe on the back of the bag of chocolate chips and makes cookies. Another takes similar ingredients, maybe extras, maybe adds their own twist, etc., and makes cookies.

The first person is like what Ms. Kenner did. The second is what collage artists like Sarah Ovenall, Kat Black, Baba Prague, etc. do that use vintage images to create tarots.

And really, all the more power to Ms. Kenner if people are actually paying for this! I really wish I would have thought of it first.

rif

There is a big difference between what Ms. Kenner has done and what dedicated artists like Kat Black and Baba Prague do.

I have no vested interest in Ms. Kenner's work, but this thread makes me wonder why so many are eager to criticize Ms. Kenner.

Ms. Kenner did a simple one-off project -- which apparently includes a book -- and offers it at $2. If someone likes it, it's cheap. If someone thinks they could do better themselves, and has the time, then let them make their own.

Baba Prague, in contrast, produces mass-marketed decks (that is, decks in quantity for a large tarot audience). They aren't quickie projects; they are commercial ventures that require time and effort, and cost more than $2. If someone likes these decks, the price is fair. And again: if someone thinks they could do better themselves, and has the time, then let them make their own.

Really, I don't understand the criticism. We're talking about a $2 item that nobody is required to buy. Those of you who have the time to make your own decks, I'm envious. I work a full-time job, and have plenty of holiday preparations to do, so I barely have time to read cards let alone create them.

This thread feels like a cult of personality to me. I know that Ms. Kenner's work has generated negative posts in the past. I suspect if Baba Prague or Kat Black were offering a comparable project the reaction would be quite different.

Meanwhile, I do have hopes that someone will publish a mass-market Christmas deck. (Or maybe a holiday Lenormand? I won't be picky!) Preferably with a lot of snowmen, because I like holiday snowmen. :D

We now return to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

LadyMarian

In response to the original poster:

I am one who bought the $2.00 download from Corinne. I have been searching for such a deck. I took her copyright letter to my photo printer and had 4X6 prints and backs for cards made and then I took the time to glue them together with photo glue. I trimmed them and curved the corners.

I now own a high gloss Christmas deck for my holiday readings with the major arcana. The jpegs that I bought were in high resolution and the colors and images came out clear and vibrant.

If Corinne reads this I am one who says: "Thank you for taking the time to do this during this busy holiday season." I think about opportunity costs from an economic viewpoint. The time it took her to resize and border these images and offer them for an amazing price of $2.00 was too hard to pass by. My time is limited and valuable and I could not have done such a great job if I had tried to do it myself.

Blessed be,
Lady Marian

suedally

These are really special.

AJ

Come on my friends, this is a beautiful idea and deck.
It is 'that special time of year', please, let's enjoy it, each other,
and the tarot fruits that drop from the trees.

And let the hows and whys go.
Seasons best to you and yours and Ms. Kenner.

Sheri

missy said:
If I personally had photographed an image, I would hope I would be able to use my own photography it in a collaborative deck, since I took it with my camera. That is a different animal altogether and not what I think we are discussing here. In fact, I have looked through the collaborative decks and in at least one oracle I saw a member who used a photograph they had taken.

Sorry to confuse you... "as found" implies that the work found was not the finder's own work (I don't think I would have to find my own creations :D).

You could not use someone else's or a copyright free or public domain work and use it as is. It would have to be altered in some way.

:love: Sheri

karenquilter

Well, I paid the $2.09 to download the deck & other stuff, & I'm not unhappy. Seems a pretty reasonable price for her work, & it is work, compiling it & all. I'll be taking the computer file to a photo finisher soon.
K

Sheri

rif said:
I suspect if Baba Prague or Kat Black were offering a comparable project the reaction would be quite different.

Meanwhile, I do have hopes that someone will publish a mass-market Christmas deck. (Or maybe a holiday Lenormand? I won't be picky!) Preferably with a lot of snowmen, because I like holiday snowmen. :D

We now return to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

Baba Prague or Kat Black would not do this.

Janet Boyer is working on a 78-card Christmas Tarot that incorporates original artwork done by her husband. I've seen the Moon card and it is going to be a stunning deck. As such though, it's not something that can be whipped up spending a few hours with a CD of images.

Again, I want to emphasize that I am dissing anyone who wants to buy this deck...nor Corrine Kenner for offering it. If people want to buy it, they should and do so happily and not care what anyone else thinks.

I'm just saying that this wasn't an original idea (the $800 deck was first), the images aren't original (same as the $800 deck) and as such, anyone could do the same thing if they wanted to and get past the copyright constraints if you wanted to make, say, Christmas cards to send to people, coasters, etc.

It is a good lesson in how you can take existing images and make personal decks though. In one of the Llewellyn Readers (one of the Annuals they used to put out) Mark McElroy talks about making a personal Tarot out of photographs. Same thing with different images. A deck can be made from anything.

:love: Sheri