Bohemian Cat Tarot

Bhavana

Barnes n Noble is taking preorders on this one....

Why is it that everyone loves this deck so much? is it because they like the decks by this publisher, or is it because this publisher's decks quickly go up in value? Or could it be they get a twisted thrill seeing the dignified cat being forced to dress up in silly costumes? Maybe a combination of all three? I can't get a grasp on it. And I even love cats. Hmm.

GryffinSong

Why is it that everyone loves this deck so much? is it because they like the decks by this publisher, or is it because this publisher's decks quickly go up in value? Or could it be they get a twisted thrill seeing the dignified cat being forced to dress up in silly costumes? Maybe a combination of all three? I can't get a grasp on it. And I even love cats. Hmm.

I used to feel exactly as you do. And then one day I looked at them again and somehow found them cute. I have NO clue what happened to change my mind. I love medieval recreation, so the costuming interests me. And I love cats. Combining the two I thought was, to be frank, stupid. But then my mind simply changed. It's like a bit flipped in there and all of a sudden I liked it. I still don't understand it, but I love them. It's inexplicable.

Bhavana

I used to feel exactly as you do. And then one day I looked at them again and somehow found them cute. I have NO clue what happened to change my mind. I love medieval recreation, so the costuming interests me. And I love cats. Combining the two I thought was, to be frank, stupid. But then my mind simply changed. It's like a bit flipped in there and all of a sudden I liked it. I still don't understand it, but I love them. It's inexplicable.

I had read someplace that the decks themselves are such high quality - so I did finally just broke down and got a Bohemian Gothic deck to see what all the hoopla was about...decent cardstock, great quality of printing, interesting images - but as a whole, not a deck to fall down and wet your pants about..(and certainly not worth what some are priced at) So it can't be that, it must be the cats in costume thing. I'll have to take a closer look at the cards, see if maybe I am missing something.

GryffinSong

I had read someplace that the decks themselves are such high quality - so I did finally just broke down and got a Bohemian Gothic deck to see what all the hoopla was about...decent cardstock, great quality of printing, interesting images - but as a whole, not a deck to fall down and wet your pants about..(and certainly not worth what some are priced at) So it can't be that, it must be the cats in costume thing. I'll have to take a closer look at the cards, see if maybe I am missing something.

I don't know about the Bohemian Gothic, but I actually don't care for the cardstock on the BBC. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to riffle shuffle. I don't know if the second edition was easier. I'm holding my breath hoping I like the third edition and mini better than the first. I think I'm in the minority, but seriously, I don't care for it.

When you look at the cats, check out the king of pentacles. He's my favorite. The very first reading I did I got SO much from him. It's like we were having a conversation in his living room. Very warm and cozy and helpful. I tell ya, those cats can really talk, and its almost always useful. Maybe that's their charm. I'm drawn into their world, as ridiculous as the concept is. It's like my imagination just takes off with them, giving me all kinds of wonderful advice and support.

MoonGypsy

i just simply wish to go on record saying:

i'm not biased--All MRP Cardstock-- is my favorite...:p i still love you Bhavana and Gryffinsong, my good buddies! :laugh: i tend to go into an ecstatic stupor just sniffing it.:joke:

Hugs and Blessings,
MG...aka MRP addict

vee

I want this deck, not because of the publisher, but because it makes me smile to look at the images. It's not cute or natural--it's absurd, but not in a dark or surreal way. It's just very unique and it speaks to me.

MoonGypsy

They actually don't put the costumes ON the kitties--it's MAGIC! :D i used to feel the same way...hard to believe it. i love cats beyond expression, as i am a dedicated Cat Mommie...no human children.
If the cats HAD been forced to tolerate the indignities of being dressed up in those incredibly gorgeous hand made costumes, i would feel much differently...

Somewhere Karen went into detail about the process; i can't remember where, as it was so long ago..

P.S. And when a lot of us bought our first MRB/Baba Studio decks, we had <no idea >they would go up in value like they have! :eek:.And...no one was more surprised than Karen and Alex! :D

emmsma

I placed an order for just the mini.

I tried to like the Cats in the previous editions. I did love the images, but for me the cards were too big and the cardstock was such that I was afraid to riffle.

I won't care if I can't shuffle these. They are minis, and cats. I can't wait to hold them.

Cocobird55

I ordered the set, the same day the email came out. It would nice to get them in December, but I can wait until January.

I'm planning to use the deck exclusively for a while. I have the first edition, but never did like the borders. This one will be better for me.