The Happy Squirrel card

Alta

I am pretty sure that the Happy Squirrel is just available for downloading and printing for the VR. I bought the VR near when it first came out and it didn't have a Happy Squirrel card. I think the Simpson's episode came first.

OakDragon

I figured that might be the case, but the way it's presented on the author's website is as if it's any other Major Arcana card. There's no note to say that it's not included in the deck, at least from what I can tell. You simply click on "view cards" or whatever and it's in the Major Arcana section at the end, after the World.

Alta

Ah. I haven't looked at the site for a while. When I downloaded it (I have it somewhere) it was clearly a joke add-on. I'll go back and look.
If any ATF'ers actually got it as a full laminated card, I would be interested to know.. I would write and ask for a copy!

Maelin

Well, I had to think of the happy squirrel card this morning as I read in our ( Canadian) National paper about the government trying to deport a flying sqirrel back to the US - apparently we have a fairly new and obscure law prohibitting the importation of rodents, and, althogh flying squirrels are native to canada, there are laws against catching them, so the offending owner - a naturalist - paid the money and imported Sabrina Ratkateers in Indiana, declared her at the border - the whole responsible pet owner thing. Now, the government is spending large sums in a legal battle to deport her. Canada's top legal eagle, Clay Ruby, who ususally takes high profile criminal and huan rights cases , is taking on the case on Sabrina's behalf. He has won the first round in the Federal Court. First round goes to the Squirrel.

No less esteemed a publication than Canada's national paper: The Globe and Mail sports the headline " Squirrel 1, Canada 0: Lawyers, politicians and bureaucrats squabble over Sabrina the refugee rodent"

I realized, with a shock, at how Tarot moves onto the world stage, and that this may well be the archetypical "Happy Squirrel" Innocent of itself, yet causing havoc across the country, nay even across the border with our American neighbours - or neighbors!!

Like the Tower, but with no promise of a new beginning once the destruction is through, the Happy Squirrel proves to be truly the most frightening card in the deck!!

xviiirkna

OakDragon said:
I figured that might be the case, but the way it's presented on the author's website is as if it's any other Major Arcana card. There's no note to say that it's not included in the deck, at least from what I can tell.

Hi OakDragon,

I did a search in Sarah's blog for "happy squirrel", here's an explanation of why it's not included in her deck:

http://www.ovenall.com/diary/archives/000074.php

I laminated my copy of the VR Happy Squirrel card and it now leads a charmed life as bookmark for the companion book.

Blessings,
Sally Anne

Alissa

Maelin said:
Like the Tower, but with no promise of a new beginning once the destruction is through, the Happy Squirrel proves to be truly the most frightening card in the deck!!
I think this definition most fits both the squirrel's innate tendencies for mischief making, as well as the idea of a terrifying subcurrent that runs parallel to this card's intended meaning.

This is just brilliant. If there were a book on the Happy Squirrel card, I'd want this sentence in the definition!

Umbrae

One fact remains:

There is only ONE deck that has this truly frightening 79th card…The International Icon Tarot.

Which incidentally has become on of my fav reading decks…check out the review over in Tarot Passages to find out why…

Alta

hahaha, right I forgot, I have International Icon and noticed this card, which is totally ignored in the LWB.

*hangs head* um, er, I like the card but removed it from my deck. (it's safe) I also removed the Hermes card from BBCats, the Master card from Osho Zen, and the second Death card and the Prudence card from Tarot of Prague (1st and 2nd editions). Call me irrational, I can't read tarot when there is even a possibility that a non-tarot card could turn up. But, I can read oracles, go figure. :)

Umbrae

Marion said:
Call me irrational, I ***'* read tarot when there is even a possibility that a non-tarot card could turn up. But, I can read oracles, go figure. :)
On my trip to St. Louis last weekend, I did a reading where…the Happy Squirrel stepped into the outcome position.

And in context with the reading, and with the sitters situation…it was scarily perfect.

Marion…ya gotta read with it!

Okay…perhaps not…but…

Sillanza

This is awesome

I'm late to this thread, but it was worth the read!

First, I love both the Simpson's episodes mentioned (I have the gypsy one on DVD ... sad, I know). And, YES, I have some thoughts on what the Happy Squirrel may mean:

Happy Squirrel (upright): Negative energy veiled in a fuzzy suit. Bad juju where you least expect it. That which should seem tamable, but isn't. You can try to outsmart it, but it confronts you unafraid with bold consternation. All it really needs is a tiny pitchfork.

Happy Squirrel (reversed): Quit posturing -- you're not all that. Knock it off before your chattering gets you caught in an inescapable trap. That terrier you think you've got outsmarted? His day is coming my friend. Might be best to hibernate a while.