Others touching my cards

owen glendower

others

I must have a different background than many of you. I was taught that is was important for the querant to handle the cards.otherwise there would be none of the querants essential energy for the cards to draw upon. I must confess that I find this most helpful when doing readings. I do enjoy hearing others views on this,and hope to find more followers of the please touch my cards camp.

lunar_rabbit

This thread has been very informative. Just goes to show you that there really are no RULES.

I do believe that the decks absorb energy -- yours primarily because of your intent to do so, but also the querents and anyone else who is around them.

I keep mine in my "magic box" which happens to be my coffee table. So I feel that they absorb the energy of my household in general, which to me is a good thing. They are connecting with me on a daily basis.

I let people shuffle them if I'm doing a reading, and the decks do get altered a little bit after they do so. Which is good, because the reading needs to be connected to them. But I think it's pretty easy to just infuse my own energy back into them afterwards.

What I do is hold them in my hands, and feel my energy go through them from one hand to the other. Then I shuffle them 3 times to cleanse them of any foreign energy. Maybe it's superstitious, but it works for me.

But.. I did loan out 2 decks and my standard cleansing doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I think I'll post a question to everyone about that, come to think of it!

Lion-O

Re: others

owen glendower said:
I must have a different background than many of you. I was taught that is was important for the querant to handle the cards.otherwise there would be none of the querants essential energy for the cards to draw upon.
Well, I guess the problem also lies in all the different ways to use a Tarot deck. Your solution sounds very logical to me. Although I'm not reading for others I do wonder how to 'make the link'. Anyway, if I ever were to read for others I guess I'd be using a second deck which would only be used for "external" readings.

Artemis Sans

I really like the idea of many numerous energies in my cards. The Spirit connects all our souls, and thus, with each soul my cards touch, the deeper the connection to The Spirit. Sometimes I don't even use a reading cloth. But my cards will always be loyal to me, so I don't think anyone touching them will affect them. My only real taboo is people reading with my cards. It's a primal possesive/territorial thing. In readings, I let the Q shuffle, then cut the deck with either hand. I then spread the cards into a fan, one end being the ultra-positive energy, the other being the negative. This adds a little psychological edge to the reading, and gives insight into the Q's feeligns on the subject. They choose and pick the cards and lay them in the appropiate position. Hey, I haven't been wrong yet, so I guess the method works.

Smiles,
Artemis

Trogon

Another fun thread I missed...

It's a little ironic that Artemis Sans should resurrect this old thread just about now. A couple of days ago I was sitting in my favorite coffee house, studying my Tarot of the Cat People. A guy came over and engaged me in conversation about the Tarot. He asked me about the decks I had out on the table (when I study any new deck anymore, I usually have my RWS and my Röhrig out for comparison). He seemed interested in the Röhrig and had never seen it before, so I picked it up and handed it to him and said, "here - take a look through it." I think he was a bit shocked... he asked me "you don't mind other people touching your cards??" Basically, it's never been a real issue for me.

Naturally, I've read the books and heard it said that you shouldn't let others touch your Tarot deck. Usually at about the same time they're telling me that I shouldn't buy a deck for myself... it has to be given to me. And for a while, I did try to keep people from touching my Tarot deck (I only had the one for quite a while). But then I noticed that one of the same books which says "don't let other people touch your cards" also says "have the querrent cut the deck...". Do what??? How can they cut the deck without touching it? :D So... essentially, I began to "Question Authority" on this issue and decided for myself. If someone looks through my deck, 'tis fine... unless they're abusing them in some way.

As for doing a reading? I generally do the shuffling because I can shuffle even the larger decks easily and without damage. I'll have the querrent cut the cards, then I deal. Though this is subject to change...

moonsinger

others touching my cards

I've been reading for almost 15 years, and generally only let others cut the deck once before laying them out. I occaisionally let those very close to me use them for readings.

samreid26

I don't really let anyone touch my cards either. But then again, I don't really read for other people. But with what I hear, if you do read for other people you should let them shuffle. I'm not posotive, but that's what I hear!

Logiatrix

In readings, I let the querent cut the cards while focusing on the question or issue, or if there is no particular issue, I ask them to focus on themselves. I want them to touch the cards at that point. There is one friend I read for quite regularly, for whom I will mix the cards and then let him shuffle as well, but he is the only one who shuffles for himself with my cards.
I let people look at my cards if I like them, just like anything else I value.

Scarletpeaches

Interesting that others have mentioned the number seven. I deal the 78 cards out in 7 separate piles to 'mix them up properly', put them back together and shuffle 7 times...Bit of a time consuming ritual I know - or maybe I'm just an obsessive compulsive?

Elle

Messy Pile

My sister has a habit of shuffling, spreading the cards out in a fan, and then mixing them up in a great big messy pile. She then hands them to me one by one and I lay them out and read...She's the only one I know who does this, and since she is my older sibling, I let her!

Warmest,

Elle