Mexican Loteria Card Riddles

DragonFae

Some people have asked about the readings with the Mexican Loteria cards and how they can be used as an oracle. I became interested when someone here on the boards posted about them and after getting a deck I did a tiny bit of research online and came up with the riddles associated with each card. I find the cards to be very easy to read intuitively....I use the riddles plus my thoughts about possible meanings...usually there are three or four per card which doesn't seem that unusal since regular oracle decks seem to have more than one....during the reading I just choose the one that comes to me or alter it if something pops into my head...(well thats the whole idea behind intuitive)...So here are the riddles and translations...along with my intuitive interpretations of them....I will divide the post into several as there are quite a few cards...perhaps you will find it useful or at least give an idea of where you might start...

47. La Corona: El sonbrero de los reyes: The Crown: The hat of kings

Interpretations: You are on top of the world, in charge OR Someone in the issue thinks they are king, OR Remember a crown does not a king make so be humble in your accomplishments

7. La Escalera: Subeme paso apasito. Ho quieras pegar brinquitos: The Ladder Climb me step by step. You don't want to hop up.

Interpretations: Take it slow and steady, don't go to fast OR You are moving forward in the issue, keep going.

5. El Paraguas: Para el sol y para el agua: The Umbrella: For the sun and the rain

Interpretations: Someone or something is protecting you in good or bad times OR Be prepared for the good and the bad in any situation OR Always look at both sides of the situation (at least you have an umbrella)

10. El Arbol: El que a buen arbol se arrima buena sombra le cobija: The Tree: He that seeks the shelter of a good tree, good shade covers him.

Interpretations: Good friends are like a good tree, they offer you shade OR Make good choices and you will be fine OR See the good in life and you will always be ok OR Make sure you are a person of character and you will be protected OR If you ask for help from a good person, you shall receive it.

23. La Luna: El farol de enamorados: The Moon: The lantern of lovers

Interpretations: Love or romance is present OR Be careful that strong emotion is not influencing the situation OR Put a brighter light on the situation, something is clouding your vision.

18. El Violoncello: Creciendo se fue hasta el Cielo y como no fue violon.Tuvo que ser violocello: The Cello: Growing he went up to heaven and because he wasn't a violin, he had to be a cello.

Interpretations: Grow up and recognize the harsh realities of life OR When something blocks your way, go another direction OR Even if you can't have what you want, you can enjoy what you have.

46. El Sol: La cobija de los pobres: The Sun: The roof of the poor.

Interpretations: No matter the circumstances, there is always something to rejoice in OR Remember to appreciate what you have OR There are natural forces that surround us, don't forget the power they have in everyone's life OR No matter life circumstances we all have something in common.

4. El Catrin: Don ferruco en las almeda su baston queria tirar: The Dandy: Don Ferruco in the Alamda, he wanted to toss away his cane and polish his steps.

Interpretations: Let go of what you are holding onto and reach a new level OR Always strive for self improvement OR When something isn't working, try a new approach OR Be carefree, trust your instincts.

AJ

I love the skeleton one you posted yesterday, skinny death I think it was :)

I stopped at a bodega yesterday and they had two sizes of the bingo-type game, the card deck was the same size in both. The set I bought was $1.67. Can't beat that for fun.

Thank you for sharing your riddles!

Since it doesn't come with a box this is a perfect opportunity for making a bag with the loteria fabric now available. :)
http://images.google.com/images?hl=...=0&q=loteria fabric&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

DragonFae

Yep...they are cheap enough...LOL...too bad I don't sew...I'd love a Loteria oracle bag...I did cut some cards apart and decopage a box with them though.

NEXT CARDS:

3. La Dama: La dama puliendo el paso, por todo la calle real: The Lady: The lady taking an elegant walk along main street.

Interpretations: Handle this issue with grace and elegance OR Keep your manners about you OR This is all for show. Someone is showing off or pretending.

1. El Gallo: El que le canto a San Pdero no le volvera a cantar: The Rooster: He that sang for St. Peter will not return to sing again.

Interpretations: Beware of betrayal OR Someone who has betrayed you will not do it again OR The person who is trying to warn/advise you is going to give up.

45. El Venado: El venado no ve nada: The Deer: The deer doesn't see anything.

Interpretations: Someone is blinded to everything OR Something is going on that someone is ignoring OR Someone doesn't know the answer you are seeking.

43. La Campana: La campana y tu debajo. The Bell: The bell and you underneath.

Interpretations: The bell is ringing you are right under it..are you listening? OR There is something hanging over your head..deal with it.

20. El Pajaro: Tu me traces a puros brincos como pajaro en la rama: The Bird: You've got me jumping to it like a bird on a branch.

Interpretations: Someone/something is pulling your chain or making you jumpy. OR Don't just pretend to take action and flutter around...actually DO something about this issue. OR a certain level of nervousness is present.

26. El Negrito: El que se comio el azucar: The Negro: He who ate the sugar.

Interpretations: Someone is experiencing difficulty but is still seeing the sweetness of life OR We do what we need to do to get through life.

2. El Diablito: Portate bien cuatito si note lleva el coloradito: The Little Devil: Behave yourself so that the little red one doesn't carry you off.

Interpretations: Make sure you are behaving yourself OR A little mischief is in the making OR someone is causing a bit of trouble in this situation.

(NOTE: I don't take this card as any real evil...just someone stirring up trouble)

11. El Melon: Me lo das me lo quitas: The Melon: I can take it or leave it.

Interpretations: Simply take it or leave it, you decide OR It is time to make a decision OR Which ever choice you make won't have a big impact.

OKAY...back later with the next 8

AJ

I'm just home from work on a HOT HOT day, and am glad I saved my new packet for a treat tonight.

Some special fun...these have been published since 1887, predating the pedigree of many decks and styles

The back of my packet title page is a cheat sheet! Did yours have this?
I can't hardly read it, small print on dark brown paper, but I'm going to get my magnifier out and translate to see if I can enlarge on your good work.

My draw of the day was 6 of swords, if you look at my blog (link in profile) you'll understand when I say thank you, and now we have a bond.

DragonFae

You know...now that i think about it...I think I did have some small print sheet in with mine...all in Spanish...I'll have to look for it or see if I threw it away. I bet it was the riddles but I google everything so I find them online too. LOL

Love the blog....and it is soooo true....our journey through life...simple but complex.

I'll add more riddles and such tomorrow...other things on my mind this evening...I'll be interested to hear your thoughts and ideas too...

DragonFae

NEXT 8 Cards:

22. La Bota: Una bota es igual Porte: The Boot: One boot is the same as the other.

Interpretations: Of two choices, one is as good as the other OR Nothing has changed OR You might "see" things differently but you are more alike than you think.

8. La Bottella: La hermienta del borracho. The Bottle: The tool of the drunk

Interpretations: Caution, there is an obsession or addiction here OR drinking is involved in this issue OR Someone is trying to forget their sorrow.

27. El Corazon: No me extranes corazon que regresso en el camion: The Heart: Don't miss me, heart, because I will retun in a truck.

Interpretations: Don't give up OR This love is true OR A longing for someone or something.

16. La Bandera: Verde blanco y colorado, ta badnera del soldado: The Flag: Green, white, and red, the flag of the soldier

Interpretations: Stand behind what you believe in OR There are strong beliefs in this situation and people will defend their position.

52. La Maceta: El que nace pa maceta no sale del corredor: The Flowerpot: He who is born to be a flowerpot will never leave the corridor.

Interpretations: The person/issue is not going to change OR Some things are just meant to be.

51. La Palma: Palmera sube a la palma y bajame un coco real: The Palm Tree: Keeper of the palms, climb the palm tree and bring down a magnificent coconut.

Interpretations: Take care of business OR Sometimes we have to go to great lengths to get what we want

13. El Gorrito: Ponle su gorrito al nene no se nos vaya a resfriar: The Little Bonnet: Put the baby's little cap on, let's don't cause him to catch cold.

Interpretations: Someone needs protected or shielded in this issue OR Take care of those you care about

21. La Mano: La nam de un criminal: The Hand: The hand of a criminal

Interpretations: Someone in the issue is being dishonest OR People do not change their true nature.

COMING UP IN A BIT....the next 8....LOL....I just realized that I am writing this based on an unnumbered list...Each of the cards actually have a number....AND I'm NOT listing them in numerical order...YIKES.......I'm going to go back and add the card numbers but the list so far is NOT in the right numerical order....However if one copies and pastes the final list in a word document they can switch the cards around and get them in the right order. SORRY...but I was just going from my typed list...POOH!!!

DragonFae

OKAY.....it was simply driving me batty that these were not in order...so I am going through and putting them in order and adding the ones that I have not done already....a little at a time of course.....YES I am a bit wacky about stuff like that...order I mean!! LOL

1. El Gallo: El que le canto a San Pdero no le volvera a cantar: The Rooster: He that sang for St. Peter will not return to sing again.

Interpretations: Beware of betrayal OR Someone who has betrayed you will not do it again OR The person who is trying to warn/advise you is going to give up.

2. El Diablito: Portate bien cuatito si note lleva el coloradito: The Little Devil: Behave yourself so that the little red one doesn't carry you off.

Interpretations: Make sure you are behaving yourself OR A little mischief is in the making OR someone is causing a bit of trouble in this situation.

3. La Dama: La dama puliendo el paso, por todo la calle real: The Lady: The lady taking an elegant walk along main street.

Interpretations: Handle this issue with grace and elegance OR Keep your manners about you OR This is all for show. Someone is showing off or pretending.

4. El Catrin: Don ferruco en las almeda su baston queria tirar: The Dandy: Don Ferruco in the Alamda, he wanted to toss away his cane and polish his steps.

Interpretations: Let go of what you are holding onto and reach a new level OR Always strive for self improvement OR When something isn't working, try a new approach OR Be carefree, trust your instincts.

5. El Paraguas: Para el sol y para el agua: The Umbrella: For the sun and the rain

Interpretations: Someone or something is protecting you in good or bad times OR Be prepared for the good and the bad in any situation OR Always look at both sides of the situation (at least you have an umbrella)

6. La Sirena: Con los cantos de sirena no te vayas marear: The Mermaid: Don't get dizzy with the songs of the mernmaid.

Interpretations: Don't get carried away with emotion. OR Keep a clear head OR Look at the factors that are influencing you closely.

7. La Escalera: Subeme paso apasito. Ho quieras pegar brinquitos: The Ladder Climb me step by step. You don't want to hop up.

Interpretations: Take it slow and steady, don't go to fast OR You are moving forward in the issue, keep going.

8. La Bottella: La hermienta del borracho. The Bottle: The tool of the drunk

Interpretations: Caution, there is an obsession or addiction here OR drinking is involved in this issue OR Someone is trying to forget their sorrow.

9. El Barril: Tanto bebio el albanil que quedo commo barril. The Barrel: The bricklayer drank so much that he ended up like a barrel.

Interpretations: Beware of alcohol involved in this situation OR Do not over indulge in anything. OR There are always consequences for our actions. Examine what they might be. OR Too much of anything is not a good thing.

10. El Arbol: El que a buen arbol se arrima buena sombra le cobija: The Tree: He that seeks the shelter of a good tree, good shade covers him.

Interpretations: Good friends are like a good tree, they offer you shade OR Make good choices and you will be fine OR See the good in life and you will always be ok OR Make sure you are a person of character and you will be protected OR If you ask for help from a good person, you shall receive it.

AJ

Thank you dragonfae. I had my cards and my magnifier at a resturant last week, working on them. There was a spanish speaking waitress working the other side of the resturant, I was sure tempted to get her to translate for me :)

.traveller.

AJ, is there anyway I could get you to pick up a set for me? I'll pay for the cards and shipping and all, but I can't seem to find these dratted cards anywhere. You'd think being in Western Colorado it would be easy, but I am obviously looking in the wrong shops. If it's too much trouble, no worries :)

AJ

I'd be more than happy to, PM me your address.