Deck of 1000 Spreads—New Spreadcrafting Tool

schmedrake

Thanks, Rodney.

The name came down to the fact that I liked the sound of "Deck of 1000 Spreads." I liked the meter and length of it. (I'm weird that way.) It rolls easily off the tongue and allowed me to create a short URL like 1000spreads.com. So the title is all my fault. I know the actual number of combinations is probably near, if not over, a million. But a million is a big number to wrap your head around and, for many people, not believable (not to mention an overwhelming thought for beginners...while this deck was created for tarotists of all levels, the color coding and "system" was largely created to facilitate learning the craft.) Besides, people rarely complain about getting more than what's indicated on the package of something...haha. But you're right. The number of combinations is considerably higher. But that was my thinking behind naming it, and the thinking had a strong marketing slant to it...catchy, easy to remember, rolls off tongue, short URL...because I'm marketing writer by trade. :)

I may be speaking out of turn, but I think that the packaging is because of the dies and the tooling of the printing presses. It's not economically advantageous to do a new box and kit for every product, because that requires new dies and retooling. You'll notice that, with the exception of my cards, all Llewellyn cards are the same size. This standardization is conservative from a business standpoint, yet the box size allows flexibility for expanded use.

And you'll read about this in the book, but the deck is oversized so that the position name peeks out above your card. So it's as wide as a "normal" tarot card, but longer so you can line your cards up all pretty on it. This obviously doesn't work for every deck (apologies to my Rohrig), but as I was creating the prototype, I tested it against a large selection of cards and this seemed to be the best size for *most* decks...those of Lo Scarabeo, Llewellyn, Schiffer and US Games standard sizes.

I'm glad you got it and hope you'll have fun playing with it! And if you come up with interesting ways to use it, you can email me from the deck's site (www.1000spreads.com) and send me a pic and description of how you're using it. I already have a couple of ideas up there that don't appear in the book but that people thought of right out of the box. I didn't have that URL built at the time of printing (last Fall) so it will hopefully make it into the book in any second edition that may be printed. However people can get to that site from the URL that WAS printed in the book, so all is well. :)

rwcarter

Yes, I saw in the book that the tarot card is supposed to be laid on top of the spread position card so that the position title shows above the card.

The outer box looks the same size as the Steampunk, Dugan's Witches, etc. I have a greater issue with the well in which the cards sit. There is no adhesive anywhere to stabilize that shape, just a couple of notches on either side, which don't do the job. (Well, at least there wasn't until I applied double-sided tape. Now it's quite stabilized.)

1000 vs thousands in terms of underselling and over delivering? I ain't mad at you. :)

Will definitely let you know if I come up with any interesting ways to use the deck.

schmedrake

Thanks.

I get what you mean about the adhesive...even on normal sized decks. I know you're a collector, as am I. I flatten all of that for storage and get bags for the decks I like...haha. I kind dig those Lo Scarabeo boxes with the magnets, though...like on the Book of Shadows tarot. I like keeping decks in those. And I like the way they left a space for the So Below deck in that package. I'm curious to see if that's offered as a deck with no box or what.

FYI, if you're looking for a bag for your Deck of 1000 Spreads, these are the perfect size. I put the link in the "tips" section on my site, too. She's not connected to me in any way. I just like her bags. :)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/threadsofmagique

Carla

Would it be possible to see a list of all the card titles?

ETA: I wish we could get them as cheap over here as they are in the US. £25 here (US $37.99) vs US $17 on amazon there! It's so demoralising, and frankly, puts me off buying the deck. I will just have to wait and see if it ever gets any cheaper.

schmedrake

I don't feel comfortable putting up all the card names, since it's a large part of the product. However, I'm sure someone will be doing that eventually. If you go to my blog at tierneysadler.com, you can scroll through dozens of posts I've made using them over the past few weeks. And you can see more at 1000Spreads.com and on the deck's Facebook page. I've been showing the deck off quite regularly since December.

And they're $23/17 euros at Book Depository and I think they ship free.

schmedrake

Hooray!

Someone told me it's not available in Germany yet, so they bought a copy from me. But that's the only availability issue I've heard. Llewellyn does a good job at distribution. I suggested Book Depository to the German lady, too, but she said mailing within Europe was unreliable. It surprised me because everything I order from them comes quickly and reliably.

I have another product for Lenormand reading and have been shipping things all over the world and am shocked at how quickly people get things from the US and visa versa. I've sent to and ordered from a woman in Australia a couple of times and it seems to take just about two weeks. I think that's pretty impressive.

Carla

I have another product for Lenormand reading and have been shipping things all over the world and am shocked at how quickly people get things from the US and visa versa. I've sent to and ordered from a woman in Australia a couple of times and it seems to take just about two weeks. I think that's pretty impressive.

I saw your Lenormand product on your website. Is there a thread over in Oracles where we can talk about it?

schmedrake

No, I never made one. If you just have a question, you can PM me. I never thought to make one. I haven't ever been in that forum...haha.

schmedrake

OK, Carla. I just made one. :)