When the nine of cups represents a person?

Teheuti

Could be a Master of Ceremonies or talk-show host. The self-satisfied aspect is not necessarily bad; it just contains its own dangers, which I think we sometimes over-emphasize.

There's also the possibility that this person has something to hide (the curtain/tablecloth behind him/her) or tends to sweep things under the carpet and put on a good front.

The emphasis on money and power, IMHO, is probably because the person looks like a wealthy merchant who can afford a fancy dinner party (even if he forgets to invite the guests!).

Mary

Mellifluous

MagikDude said:
thanks GoldenMoon 8)
now Mellifluous, you say youve been getting it for someone in a negative way, you mean, the card comes out reversed? or its just because the meaning fits better in a negative point of view?

It's very rare for me to use reversals, so I suppose I mean 'in the negative sense'. Though I don't see what the difference is - for someone who does use reversals, it's (more often than not) the same thing.

MagikDude

thanks everyone for your help

All you different answers and meanings have really help me understand better the card. Reading all your posts I also realized it's not really what a book says a card means, it's more what it means and looks to the person doing the reading. Probably like the meaning of dreams. Anyway I have lots to learn from the tarot still 8)

WalesWoman

I would think 9 Cups as a person who wants to share their good fortune with others, very gregarious and generous with their emotions as well as everything else that comes into their lives.

They are the 'Eat, Drink & be Merry, cause tomorrow we Die', kind of person who wants to celebrate life now and celebrate everything that sounds good with others.

nisaba

Someone who's a little smug and self-satisfied, someone who has adequate to live on right now, and assumes that nothing will change.

WalesWoman

Why does self satisfaction come off as being smug? It isn't the same or even close.

Perhaps those that see it as smugness are in fact a bit envious of those who have, when they have not.

Muir Aingeal

Someone who is comfortable emotionally and happy with themselves.

nisaba

WalesWoman said:
Why does self satisfaction come off as being smug? It isn't the same or even close.
I said "smug and self-satisfied" I didn't say only smug or self-satisfied alone. The two *are* different.