Rosicrucian cross.. Thoth backs

Freddie

I think Nisaba is right about this one. The Thoth from what I have read was only printed up in 200 editions (While Aleister and Frieda were alive) and then it was not printed again until 1969.

Wow, I never considered that Lady Frieda Harris might not have painted the backs.

Freddie

Grigori

Freddie said:
Wow, I never considered that Lady Frieda Harris might not have painted the backs.

Sorry Freddie, I didn't mean to imply Freida didn't paint them, I meant only that she didn't invent the design.

Curtis Penfold

I'm not positive everybody here know exactly what's being discussed.

The Rosicrucians were kind of the first Occult group, starting in the sixteen hundreds about. They were underground, possibly only existening in people's imaginations, stimulated by a few anonymous papers and manifestos. They pretty much inspired every Magikal Occult group after that. Their symbol was the Rosicrucian Cross. It's pretty similar to the cross on the back of the Thoth. As in, let's compare:

Here's the Rosicrucian Cross-- http://www.lifetechnology.org/rosicrucian.htm

Here's the Thoth deck cross-- http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/DEMONS/Aleister Crowleyt.jpg

And here's a neat little article on how the Rosicrucian Cross was used by Aleister Crowley, Freemasons, and the Golden Dawn-- http://viswiki.com/en/Rosy_Cross

Abrac

Hey Freddie, AC's use of a Rosicrucian type symbol doesn't necessarily mean he bought everything that had been taught about it in the past. He saw himself as a revelator, as someone who understood the true meaning. He did the same thing with imagery from a lot of other sources.

Aeon418

similia said:
Sorry Freddie, I didn't mean to imply Freida didn't paint them, I meant only that she didn't invent the design.
Yes, and the colour plate section in modern day reprints of the Book of Thoth is identical to the 1944 original. Check it out. ;)

Aeon418

Abrac said:
AC's use of a Rosicrucian type symbol doesn't necessarily mean he bought everything that had been taught about it in the past. He saw himself as a revelator, as someone who understood the true meaning. He did the same thing with imagery from a lot of other sources.
And that's how Crowley would have interpreted this quote from the 6th chapter of the Confessio Fraternitatis:
But to the false and to impostors, and to those who seek other things than wisdom, we witness by these presents publicly, we cannot be betrayed unto them to our hurt, nor be known to them without the will of God, but they shall certainly be partakers of that terrible commination spoken of in our Fama, and their impious designs shall fall back upon their own heads, while our treasures shall remain untouched, till the Lion shall arise and exact them as his right, receive and employ them for the establishment of his kingdom.

ravenest

Sure . . . some principles exist through out all aeons - it's just that their 'flavor' usage and meaning might vary. Like, for example, the concept of the Bodhisattva . . . a bit similar to Rosicrucian enlightenment. The GD 5-6 is similar to the OTO 5 deg. but in context they are very different.

Get some cardboard and art equipment and make up a full GD RC 'jewel' - well worth the experience.

Freddie

Thanks for the great information!!!!

I found several good sites on the rosy cross...many paths to the same spiritual place I think. Ravenest I found some good info on making my own from a sites offering Golden Dawn instruction/training.

I have to say that this deck contains more symbols than I can recall that anyone could see everyday in an Anglican church so I believe that this pack like the Rider-Waite rises above the gene/audience it might have been intended for. That being said I like the idea of exploring new spiritual paths and I am enjoying the information I am learning from books/this site concerning this deck.

I have tried to find out if Lady Frieda Harris did paint the backs, but I haven't found that answer yet. I am trying though.

Freddie