Why do people see The World negatively?

re-pete-a

No. When an egg actually DOES die it is a tragedy for the inside AND those on the outside.

like this

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/sahuber/rpd/Pictures/Broken Egg.JPG

in the old days that may have been the case ...but, knowledge moves on from 13 to 21... science advances can now show that there is still activity happening... life in another form...in the billions ...Nothing is lost...even Einstein found that out.

This was understood Hermetically for a long long time...before science caught up with it.

turning lead into gold...must go through the putrid before the red then into white...gold.

Only the initiated used to know this ...the Puffers usually stayed with and were limited by their fears of the unknown...

wind

the big picture - our PLACE in the cosmic drama

The word 'World' itself somehow evokes 'a place'. Also, it is a Saturn card (at least in some systems), and Saturn is a lot about 'placement' (in mundane terms, placement in society, career, etc, but it is far more complex, of course). World card is about 'your place in the world'. For me it says: you are exactly where you need to be, for your best, for your highest prosperity, even though you may not see it or recognize it at this moment - and the latter is very crucial. World card many times surpasses the ordinary, everyday consciousness. That is why, in my experience, the card can be so puzzling.

World is a vast card - it is THE WORLD - and our mundane consciousness is so tiny, narrow, so rigid, so small…. We many times cannot comprehend what is really happening, all the connections, the true reason, the true lesson, why things fell into place as they did...we want to be stuck in our little place, barricaded and 'safe', not looking around. Our personal worlds can be so small...but the world web, the whole cosmic picture is so huge.
World card is about the alignment of the personal soul with the cosmic soul, expansion of the personal consciousness to the level of vast, even cosmic comprehension. It is not just about the big picture, but many times also about the 'cosmic picture'. And this is many times an extremely hard lesson.

The usually portrayed naked figure dancing in the middle is like a person surrounded by this huge web-world/cosmos, fiding her place in it. Do we always understand where our place is? Not at all. It takes time and experience (a Saturn lesson) to slowly get this kind of comprehension. Where all the pieces of the puzzle are put together. Osho Zen tarot, for instance, calls this card 'Conclusion' and it depicts a face, made of puzzle pieces, where the last piece of the puzzle is being put on the third eye. This is it, the final comprehension, the final insight, the true understanding and vision.

However, this is by no means always a delightful experience... It can be, in fact, pretty overwhelming, even horrifying, painful and much depends on the level of consciousness of the person, their understanding of things in general, how they 'see the world', what their 'world-view' and also spiritual view is. Do they see just this small fragment or can they see the big picture, even cosmic picture? Do they see 'the cosmic drama', do they understand the big, underlying reasons and shifts? This decides how they accept 'conclusions', endings, cycles, do they cooperate or struggle…hence World card provokes so many different responses.

As a Saturn card (at least in some systems), World is also about lessons learnt. I see it as a 'graduation' card, this is where you get your diploma: for challenges and exams well done. In this sense, it is a great card, yes, it frees you from previous debts, patterns, energies...but the stripping off of these energies may not be pleasant at all.

I was also exploring the World card a lot, trying to see its meaning...I also refused to see it as 'ending', but in my case, it certainly meant 'the end', that is, of a relationship, of deep love.
It was a painful, heart-breaking, horrible, devastating end that I tried to avoid, push away…- I kept getting the World card and yes, the relationship indeed came to its final phase, it was just 'the best that was possible'. It was for the best, but I couldn't really accept it at the time, so I struggled. It ended not because we didn't fit or want it, but because it was simply not possible to stretch it further. I did my best, he did his best. It was just as far as we could go.

In my case, World certainly predicted the end, the breaking down of the relationship, the final step...and it was extremely hurtful for me. Months later I started to get the Death card - when I finally started to emotionally accept, GRIEVE, allow my feelings to die, transform and let the relationship die internally as well...(Death card as Scorpio experience of the underworld, release, transformation). Then, the World card was not coming up at all, just the Death card.

Of course, cards can be read in many ways, many levels, but in my case, the World was saying: 'see the big picture, you are at the right place (better off without this man)', even though emotionally I couldn't digest it. I digested it with the Death card, but the with World card I found myself exactly where I needed to be - alone, without this relationship that was in many ways detrimental to me, not good for me, and freed from my own emotional drama and old, ingrained patterns that I managed to work through, and move further, armed with a great lesson in relationships, love, and inner journey.

Indeed, the World card was showing a 'great outcome', it was showing me that I am free, matured, that things will never be the same, but at the time, I couldn't see it. I see it now, in retrograde, and I know I was exactly where the world/cosmos/life/whole/existence wanted me to be - for my growth, for my liberation (so that I can dance naked and free from the past, as that figure in the card:)), for deepening of my heart and my capacity to love. It was so hard, so painful, but it was indeed for my best.

werewolfmoon

The World = FaceBook

The World comes up as FaceBook in my deck, you can't get much darker than that.

On a more serious note I find that it has more negative meanings than positive ones, in yes/no questions it inevitably means no, as in completion and closure, closing the circle etc. As the card is ruled by Saturn, a dark planet astrologically speaking, then it is a dark card in my opinion. On the positive side I have had it coming up as someone 'thinking the world' of someone else.

laurence

The World comes up as FaceBook in my deck, you can't get much darker than that.

Actually I never thought about It and indeed It makes me think of the interface of Facebook. But I think swords like the page can represent virtual interaction. I also heard about the Hierophant representing a commun group who share ideas ( like Facebook).

Starshower

I don't see Saturn as 'dark' at all. It is essential for anything to have form and structure and boundaries ... to be in any state other than chaos, in fact. Yes, it CAN mean restriction ... but unrestricted (Jupiterian) expansion can be terribly damaging, mad, bad & dangerous. The two need to be in dynamic equilibrium for balanced, healthy manifestation imo.

And this is what the World card represents to me. It is the expanded ALL of life on this plane: male & female, the 4 creatures / elements, the whole physical sphere etc.
And yet, it is also a contained system within an even larger Whole (i.e. the heavens ... that which is beyond ...) and knows its place as the nucleus of a new phase of expansion, growth & development. Maybe even a new evolution onwards.

I do understand the universal fear of endings! Most of us are cautious or even afraid of facing the unknown from the known - even if the latter is only "the comfort of familiar misery." Like the occasional prisoner or monk loth to leave his cell after decades; or the bird her cage.
Shakespeare said we would "rather bear those ills we have than fly to others that we know not of"! Yet besides our need for safety & familiarity, we are also motivated by a longing, a yearning desire for journeying onwards too. Dynamic equilibrium again.

The World card, imo, indicates accomplishment, success, completion & the satisfaction of happy achievement!
Yet the whole card is the seed of the next phase; of a fresh start, another challenge and chance to shine even more brightly! Welcome the exciting new Adventure. :)

re-pete-a

So, by consensus the 13 comes before the 21...yet both indicate change is imminent.

Lorraine1100

I will give you a perfect example of the World from my situation last year. I hit a financial issue, legal bills needed to be paid and the lawyers would not wait. I had to sell my car. In the four months prior to me having to make the decision to sell it, out came Death, 10 of pentacles and the World.

Death and the 10 of pentacles was quite simple, I had no choice to sell it and realise the money from it (10 of pentacles), money that I had earned and put into the car and money that I now needed back.

The World for me was the end. It did not end on a positive note at all. The money was paid to the lawyers and that was that!! I was gutted to lose that car, it upset me for a long, long time. I am not happy about it at all. Was it a good ending - actually for me no it wasn't!!

By the way the World and Ace of Pentacles was around until mid January of this year - I just cant' wait to see what that brings me - heartbreak and misery no doubt. Smack bang in the middle of a house move!!

So, I guess it's each to their own perspective on the World. My experience with this card has never been good thus far. I am not happy when it comes out in readings at all. It is about endings, but as others have said it is what follows the World afterwards that gives you a clue as to how those endings and new beginings manifest!

werewolfmoon

I will give you a perfect example of the World from my situation last year. I hit a financial issue, legal bills needed to be paid and the lawyers would not wait. I had to sell my car. In the four months prior to me having to make the decision to sell it, out came Death, 10 of pentacles and the World.

Death and the 10 of pentacles was quite simple, I had no choice to sell it and realise the money from it (10 of pentacles), money that I had earned and put into the car and money that I now needed back.

The World for me was the end. It did not end on a positive note at all. The money was paid to the lawyers and that was that!! I was gutted to lose that car, it upset me for a long, long time. I am not happy about it at all. Was it a good ending - actually for me no it wasn't!!

By the way the World and Ace of Pentacles was around until mid January of this year - I just cant' wait to see what that brings me - heartbreak and misery no doubt. Smack bang in the middle of a house move!!

So, I guess it's each to their own perspective on the World. My experience with this card has never been good thus far. I am not happy when it comes out in readings at all. It is about endings, but as others have said it is what follows the World afterwards that gives you a clue as to how those endings and new beginings manifest!

So, The World (The Universal Spirit) gave you what you needed rather than what you wanted, a debt was paid with a material possesion (ten of pents) and it brought the end (the close/death) to a bad situation for you. Its all very Saturnine!

Just my ten pence worth.

Lorraine1100

Well, actually not quite Werewolfmoon, because the legal bills were still accruing even after that point. I won the case but each side had to pay their own legal costs!!

The point is that I never wanted to sell the car and it has brought about it own hardships as a point in fact of having to sell it. Yes it paid the debt, but it still left me with no car and having to find another means of transport. I ended up buying an old 'banger' just to get around in. That is not my idea of an ending on a high. It was much more than that, much worse actually, it was a kick in the guts and quite frankly I would have rather seen the Tower as the ending as opposed to the World. Hey thats the way the cards panned out though.

My experience with the World - and that was just one - has never been noted as being good! In fact quite the opposite, it chimes so much with Death that it might as well be it, but when I already had the Death card there to begin with, it couldn't come out twice in the same reading so it dumped the World on me. It took me a while to understand that the World was not the happy dancing girl in the laurel wreath at all.