Thoth without the taglines?

Sophie

Does anyone know of a Thoth deck - big size - that might have been published without the key words? Those taglines are awful. I know Gardener cut them off, but I'm hamfisted and couldn't cut straight. And I'd prefer large whole cards without any commentary words.

Thanks

Sulis

Never heard of a published Thoth without the keywords. I'm sure someone on this forum used a silver magic marker to cover them up a year or two ago. Maybe you could try that if you're worried about trimming cards.

Love

Sulis xx

Vincent

Helvetica said:
Does anyone know of a Thoth deck - big size - that might have been published without the key words? Those taglines are awful. I know Gardener cut them off, but I'm hamfisted and couldn't cut straight. And I'd prefer large whole cards without any commentary words.

Thanks
Why not just blank the keywords out with a pen or brush?

Having said that, I don't know why anyone would want to lose the keywords. They are there for a reason. They are not simply the divinatory meanings; if they were, there would be keywords on the Aces, Court cards, and Trumps.

Which brings up another question; when people cut off the keywords do they also cut off the titles of the trumps and court cards?

Vincent

Imagemaker

I only cut cards where I can either leave the titles and major numbers on (when taking off keywords), or take all markings off. And I only do that on decks that I know so well that I don't need any info beyond the images.

I haven't trimmed any in weeks, think I've taken off all the borders that I can or want to.

Rusty Neon

The Thoth deck is available in a number of different languages. If you buy a deck with keywords in a language that you're not familar with, the keywords might not be as distracting.

Lillie

Do you mean the names like 'ruin' on the 10 of swords, and 'love' on the 2 of cups?
These are their names! Not taglines.
The 10 of swords is 'The Lord of Ruin'. It's it's name.

I love those names, and the ones that go with them, like the Fool being 'The Spirit of Ether' and the Tower being 'The Lord of the Hosts of the Mighty'.

I love them so much I could list the whole damn lot right here. (Though I won't.)

It's part of their heritage.

And why would you cut any cards!!!!!

That's almost sacrilige.

However, I have seen some cards pictured on the net where the writing seems to be in blue and the name of the card is almost obscured by the word behind it.
Unless it is just the reproduction that makes them look like that, you might find them better as they are hard to read.

Diwha

Rusty Neon

That is a very good Idea, but I'm the kind of person that has to know what the word means, so in the end I would probably learn faster what each card means or represents. That is a good idea in any case.

Diwha

Imagemaker

And why would you cut any cards!!!!!

That's almost sacrilige.

Ooo, if you believe that, don't read this thread then!
trimming cards

My belief is that if I can mold a tool to better fit my needs, I will. How amazing to experiment with simple, small rectangles of cardboard and thereby expand my intuition, my knowledge, and my contribution to this world.

Lillie

Well...

Of course someone can do as they wish with thier own cards....but...

Oooh.
It so naughty!

It's like...

Spanking!

Vincent

Imagemaker said:
I only cut cards where I can either leave the titles and major numbers on (when taking off keywords), or take all markings off. And I only do that on decks that I know so well that I don't need any info beyond the images.

I haven't trimmed any in weeks, think I've taken off all the borders that I can or want to.

I have some decks where I have kept the keywords and disposed of the images. I believe this is recommended practice for the Motherpeace Tarot, where it is mentioned in the LWB. And even though it makes it slightly harder to shuffle the deck, I took someone else's suggestion, and I now have a pack of serviceable coasters.

Vincent