The One Card You Check...

bleuivy

The Chariot

The Chariot is my soul card and my personality card, and it has come to have quite a lot of significance to me personally lately, so if a deck's Chariot doesn't resonate with me, I just cannot read with it. I've never liked the RWS Chariot, though I can't put my finger on exactly why. I've always been able to read with the deck fairly well, but lately I haven't been able to use the deck just because of its Chariot.

The second card I look at is the Hanged Man. This is a card that comes up in readings for myself alot, so I have to be able to find symbolism in the card that I can connect with. It cannot just be someone hanging from a tree. My favorite Hanged Man cards are the Ancestral Path and the Fey. There's just so much in those cards to work with.

Next on the list, in no particular order, are the Queen of Wands, the Devil (which doesn't necessarilly have to be horrifying - I love the devil from the Housewives Tarot), and the Aces.

gregory

DarkElectric said:
And alright, I'm stumped by that Avatar, Lawguy. What the heck is it?
My best guess would be something to do with textiles, possible a thread or yarn winder.
You aren't old enough to have ever needed one !!!!

Apollonia

Death. and the Aces. For me, Death has to have something about it of new life emerging somewhere, and I prefer the figure of Death to look somehow grim and utterly delighted at the same time. If it manages to make me laugh as well, I know I have a winner. And the Aces can't be dull.

Lillie

The avatar.

I don't know what it is. Please tell me.
I'm sure I've seen one, it's doing my head in, but I just can't place it.

Cards.
The fool. If it's some stupid jester, or like a joker in an ordinary pack of cards, then it can put me off the whole deck.
The moon. Yes, I like the moon to be good.
Death. I like a good death. A nice Mr. Skellybobbles. preferably with a big scythe.

Those are the main cards for me, I think.

Oddly, I don't really like Crowleys fool. But it's not a jester, so that's OK.
The 1JJ swiss fool is horrible. thats the sort of thing I mean.
It ought to have more meaning than that.

Now, the avatar. Tell me!!!!

bleuivy

Lillie said:
The fool. If it's some stupid jester, or like a joker in an ordinary pack of cards, then it can put me off the whole deck.

I forgot about the Fool! If the fool is just a jester, then I have a lot of trouble connecting with it. I like a fool that has an element of the undiscovered; I want it to have a questing feeling to it.

Strangely, at first I had a lot of trouble with the Gilded's Fool because he looks so jester-like. Now I've made my peace with it, and it has become one of my favorite cards in the deck.

lawguy51

Lillie said:
The avatar.

I don't know what it is. Please tell me.
I'm sure I've seen one, it's doing my head in, but I just can't place it.
Well, one thing this thread has made clear is that I really haven't been around for a while because older members are quite accustomed to my avatar. OK, for those of you born after, ummm, 1980, the symbol in my avatar is a spindle adaptor for 45 rpm vinyl single records. Most record players had a spindle that fit an LP with a small hole. Singles had much larger holes so the spindle adaptor was fitted into the larger hole so that the smaller hole in the adaptor could be used to fit on the record player's spindle. :)

Lawguy51
p.s. for those of you who don't know, I'm in the music business :cool:

Simone

I need an interesting Devil and an unusual Tower (the usual people-falling-out-of-a-lightning-stricken-tower does not do it for me, but I can work my way around it if necessary).

I once bought a deck because of the image of the chariot on the box, but the rest of the deck does not talk much to me...

So actually, I have to say most cards have to talk to me for a deck to be readable, or I have to be able to see something in it. (guess you can guess I am not very into Maresilles-style minors... - I need pictures)

seneris

The cards I usually check is the Eight of Swords. It's not that if I don't like that card I won't look at the other cards, but it is one of my favourite cards. I'm always curious to see if the depiction of that card in a new deck is based on RWS or is something completely different.

Asher

Although they are not my only criteria for buying a deck, I always look at the High Priestess, the 4 of Swords, and the Hierophant. I really prefer non-Pope-like Hierophants; my 2 favorites are the Ancestral Path (which depicts the Oracle of Delphi) and the amazing Faith card from the Tarot of Dreams.

Asher
(who all-too-quickly recognized the 45 rpm record adapter)

Sulis

I usually look at The Empress (which is my soul card), The Moon and The Hermit.

The Fool isn't one of my favorite cards but I have to agree with Lillie, I don't like The Fool to be a jester type, that's a real turn off.

Love

Sulis xx

Edited to add: It's good to see you and your avatar back Bob - you were missed.
I'm old enough to remember 45s :D