Trimming the Thoth

TenOfSwords

Formicida said:
TenOfSwords, have you been using them long with unrounded corners? Aren't they going to fray in shuffling or catch on things?

I'm pretty relaxed when I'm using them and my shuffling is pretty easy on the cards, so I have no problems with them at all, neither in shuffling nor using them. The smaller format makes shuffling a lot easier to me as well.

I could imagine people that shuffle fast of rifle shuffle might have a problem with the square corners though. Mixing them on a table might be a bad idea with unrounded corners.

The coating on the cards I have is bonded quite well to the cards (AGMüller version) so I don't think they'll fray or peel any more than the uncut cards.

If I was to have a set with rounded corners I'd look into LittleBuddha's suggestion of making a small border remain and round that to preserve the image unharmed.

Grigori

The corner cutter really only shaves off the smallest piece. It doesn't make much of a difference to the picture. I had a rumage through the deck, and there are really only 4-5 cards, all majors, that have details near the corner, and The Fool seems the only one with fine details. Comparison attached.

Attachments

• fools.JPG
    fools.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,048

Little Baron

Looking at your picture, Similia, I do prefer the bordered one [but then I think the green border is less obtrusive than the grey one and quite compliments The Fool's outfit] but I think that the next time I run into a large Thoth, I will snap it up and give it the same treatment, as an alternative to the one I have now. The cards are a little big for shuffling [wide] at the moment, so that would be good for me. The smaller deck that I did cut is now, for me, a little too small, so I think the larger Thoth would benefit a trim more than that one did.

Best, LB

Grigori

I have nothing against the borders either LittleBuddha, but am loving reading with the borderless deck at the moment. It is a bit more "immediate" than it was with the borders. The size is larger and the colors are stronger. The size is the biggest advantage for me. I have read primarily with a small bordered version, as the large bordered one was too big for me to use comfortably. The large trimmed one is perfect for me. Bigger pictures, still an easy shuffle.

Also the new backs are really great. I have a passionate aversion to seeing copyright's printed on a deck, and with the thin white border on the back removed, and the copyright taken away with it, its a far more attractive deck in my eyes.

As always it's fun having more than one deck. And since I've become almost purely monogamous with the Thoth, another variation is welcome :D I'll still be buying the Urania Thoth, assuming it ever actually gets released.... :rolleyes:

Little Baron

You've convinced me Similia. Next time I can lay my hands on a large Thoth and some corner cutters, consider it done. The size is uncomfortable for me and I like the idea of having the immediacy as well. I am also using Thoth exclusively for my own 78 weeks of study, so it would be nice to really 'get into it'.

LB

Grigori

woohoo! My work here is finished. Goodnight ladies and gentlemen! Don't forget to tip the wait staff on your way out. :D *takes a bow*

Little Baron

similia said:
Don't forget to tip the wait staff on your way out

Just did. They handed me a pair of scissors.

LB

Formicida

Thank you so much, similia. You're right, it isn't very obtrusive at all. I think it would be a bigger problem with the small deck (which I have right now, but wouldn't cut).

Time to figure out what I can do to earn a new deck!

Little Baron

Formicida said:
Time to figure out what I can do to earn a new deck!

A few readings? ;)

LB

Formicida

Harder than it sounds, for me. But some kind of goal--maybe some sort of Thoth-related study program? Heck, even getting the rest of the way through the Book of Thoth would be an accomplishment.

(This is what I do to keep myself from indiscriminate deck-buying.)