Important Tips to Newbies

Ange

I think simple is a good place to start, but I think it's important to realize that Tarot is complex
----------------

I agree with you there berrieh...start in a simple way that you can understand and get a sound grasp of the deck, elements etc.....and then build up, taking in more as you learn.

It's like an apprentiship really isn't it....start at the bottom and work up... :)

Ang x

Demon Goddess

Elements shmelements... As Grandmere Laurette always said "just read the cards".

The best piece of advice I could give to any newbie... start with what you see, then say what you know, then what you feel... By the time you're done, it won't matter dignities, you'll be reading the cards and right or wrong... THAT's the point of the exercise. :)

afrosaxon

Ranzel said:
To all Readers:

I noticed when I read your readings is that you are missing some very important points.

My tip are as follows:

(when you open up a spread - DO NOT PROCEED IN READING THE MEANING OF YOUR CARDS YET)

- First, check the Elemental Dignities of your cards. What elements are dominant, what elements are less, and what elements are missing.

- The most dominant element could be the theme surrounding the situation. (example: when water/cups are dominant, it means that there are lots of emotions going on in that particular situation)

- The lesser number of elements are the ones supporting the situation (example: when air/swords are the lesser/supporting elements, it means that the situation needs some more thinking on the querent's side)

- Then, check the missing elements. These are the most important elements because these missing elements are the ones causing all the problem in that particular situation (example: when earth/pentacles are missing, it means that the situation needs solid foundation, it also means that the situation is floating with nothing solid to hold on)

Example Reading: (3 Cards)

FOOL = LOVERS = ACE OF SWORDS

Now, here at first glance it looks like its a "love affair going to be materialized cards". But, wait, look and see, these are all AIR cards!!! No WATER/Cups (Emotion), No FIRE/Wands (Desire), and most especially, No EARTH/Pentacles (solid foundation to hold on to)

So, can you guess the meaning of the cards now? I hope you do. The situation is saying that eventhough the card is telling us something about love but actually because of the missing elements of water (emotion), fire (desire), earth (solid foundation) the querent has a lot of things to work on from her side if she really wants to make this thing happen. Love is still floating in the air, no desire, no emotion, and nothing to hold on to.

(NOW YOU CAN START READING THE MEANING OF THE CARDS INDIVIDUALLY)

If you use this technique, then, you don't even have to use reversed cards because as you weave the story of the cards you already knew what is needed to be worked on to. You already knew the story behind the situation even before you have started reading the individual meaning of the cards! You don't even have to read the whole spread. - EASY!!!

Your friendly neighborhood - RANZEL

Ranzel,

I'm glad that you feel comfortable enough to assert your strong opinion on how others (particularly newbies) should read.

However, as has been stated in this thread, everyone reads differently and not everyone uses elemental dignities. Perhaps you should modify the scope of your admonition to those who elect to use EDs. The rest of us are doing quite fine without them.

Newbies are confused enough without being told that there is only ONE way to read cards. That's like telling them that there is only ONE deck they should read with.

T.

Ange

Newbies are confused enough without being told that there is only ONE way to read cards. That's like telling them that there is only ONE deck they should read with.

-------------

I saw Ranzels's post as saying that they were her TIPS....and that IF anyone uses the technique....
:) :)
Ang x

ps...please excuse the capitals as not being a subscriber, I can't use colours or different fonts to emphasis things... :)

stefficus

berrieh said:
...for me, the elements only tell me at which 'level' the energies are interacting - Fire/Spirit, Air/Mind, Water/Emotions, Coins/Physical World. Water (Cups) craves earth, falls, and try to make things happen in the physical world (Coins), and Air (Swords) craves fire, rises, and tries to make things happen in the spiritual world (Wands).

you are surely most wise and beautiful, berrieh. that's a little nugget of helpful, right there. it... fits. thankee! i don't use dignities, but i do have an affinity for elementals and i like to notice what elements are present in a reading. the fact that it CAN vary from deck to deck makes your info all the more interesting.

(ange - would it help if, instead of "coins/physical world" it said "earth/physical world"? it doesn't matter which suit is associated with which realm, because that might be a different element in your deck, but earth will be physical and water will be the realm of emotions, and so on. maybe ignore the suit, focus on the element for this exercise.)

the original advice gave me a lot to think about as far as what's missing being important as well as what's there - especially when you have a reading that's top-heavy in one suit or another - but i tend to group them mentally that way by suit, not element.

re-pete-a

It's understood where your coming from Ranzel, and it would make the readings interesting, if there were more cards. But on that system, there could never be a balanced outcome for the poor lovers,there are only three cards and four elements plus majors. That makes for a hopeless balance.Perhaps with five cards one may have a better balanced outcome.

Ranzel

afrosaxon said:
Ranzel,

I'm glad that you feel comfortable enough to assert your strong opinion on how others (particularly newbies) should read.

However, as has been stated in this thread, everyone reads differently and not everyone uses elemental dignities. Perhaps you should modify the scope of your admonition to those who elect to use EDs. The rest of us are doing quite fine without them.

T.

Dear Readers of this Thread,

Thanks so much for voicing out your opinions. As tarot readers we are all entitled to our own style of / and interpretation of cards. But, perhaps we should not forget the "basics" for they are the ones that is more important.

When I started learning tarot, I purchased lots of books to study and compare. One thing that has been said in common is to always check the elements present in the spread. One would find the reading more easier if one would stop for a few seconds to check what's going on around the situation rather that jumping to the individual meaning of the cards right away.

I have several experiences, in reading without checking the elemental dignities, that I struggled with my interpretations, but noticed that when I applied this principles of checking out the dignities first, I was not only reading fast but also intuitively.

This principle that I am teaching to the newbies is a very important tool in which would help them feel and understand the overall atmosphere of the situation in the spread.

I think applying these basic principles will make it more easier and fast for the newbies to learn tarot reading and as they advance over the years they could develop their own style just like the rest of our experts here. :)

Cheers, - Ranzel

re-pete-a

There's a a passion for eating red hot chillies and onions and custard together with Anchovies, and any one who doesn't should check it out. It's an important ingredient to survival. Renzel your heart is pure, your advise is good. But like this one here, it's not for everyone,there's all different positions held by all different contenders on this race track to home, as much as one would like to help each one ,each one is comfortable where they are.Cast your seeds of wisdom by all means and let those that are ready pick them up........ Bless your pure heart

Thirteen

Ranzel said:
I have several experiences, in reading without checking the elemental dignities, that I struggled with my interpretations, but noticed that when I applied this principles of checking out the dignities first, I was not only reading fast but also intuitively.
Look at what you wrote here: "I struggled with my interpretations" and "When I applied this principle..." Note all the "I" and "My" there. Hey. When "I" was struggling with interpretations I discovered the keyword system and, hey, "I" was reading not only fast but also intuitively once I learned it!

So shall I now pronounce to all newbies that they MUST use the keyword system as they will surely struggle without it (because "I" did) and they will surely read fast and intuitively if they use it because "I" did? :rolleyes:

Read some of the threads on "advice to newbies" here. You'll see that there are dozens of stories just like yours. And every "I" in those stories struggled, and every "I" in those stories found a particular method be it keyword, or elemental dignities or meditation or just looking at the cards and making up stories and once they found this each and every single "I" was reading fast and intuitively.

We understand that you've found your method, and that it's exciting to have found something like this and you really, really want to share it. You're totally converted and want to convert everyone else out there, so that we all understand the wonder and the glory of elemental dignities, Hallelujah! But your story is no different than many others. It worked for you and you can say that. But you cannot and should not EVER say that you have an "important tip for newbies" as if this is the magic secret that will unlock the tarot door in each and every case, guaranteed or your money back.

Because there's no such thing--and you're setting up a lot of newbies for disappointment, confusion and maybe giving up on tarot altogether if you make such a promise. Will you accept the blame if someone takes your advice, and then, finding it no help to them at all, puts away those cards forever? Better to encourage them to give several methods a try until they find the one that unlocks their door (not the one that unlocked yours). Everyone finds their own "secret" method that magically does the trick. Maybe yours will work for someone else who is stuck. But I PROMISE you, it won't work for everyone. Because not everyone is you. The sooner you learn that the better a tarot teacher you might one day be.

Ravenne

I've read this advice about the elements/suits before in a book and I think I will give it a whirl. I think it's a good tip, although I do agree it won't work for everyone. I.e. if you know little about elements, it might make things more confusing. (So in that sense I'm not sure I agree it's a good advice for newbies) But it might work really well for people who do have an affinity or interest in elements.
Maybe the advice/tip should have included: "if you like working with elements, try this..." or something like that.

Ravenne