A "Price" to Pay

Metafizzypop

The price is $29.95 USD plus shipping. If you want the first edition it's $99.95, but shipping to Europe and North America is free.

MissNine

Hey WAB!
Don't mean to have this come across as a discussion between only myself and Padma about this, so I wanted to take a moment to explain that Padma raised a good point I'll answer on. I think Padma might be pointing out something that others will also be confused about or think about my last statement if I don't clarify. :)

Perhaps...we don't know that...but in reference to the OP, I can't see how there would be hell to pay for reading the cards.

I'll explain why I believe the roommate thinks WAB is playing with things that will hurt him by referring to the OP...

....he mentioned something about his mother practicing witchcraft and that there would be a "price to pay," or something of the sort. When my friend asked him what "price" this could be, he simply replied with - "Oh, you'll know."

It sounds like the man is avoiding any tarot readings or divining due to the experiences with his mother. So, sadly, it doesn't matter why or how you use the cards, even it's for a different purpose than his mom, because whatever "price" he's seen his mother have to "pay" with practicing witchcraft, he's projecting that anger and fear onto you. It's not anything personal to you, but about the bad memories or fears he has from past experiences that come bubbling up when he comes across tarot card readers. And the negative reaction or avoidant reaction he had to you sounds like his way of escaping something very uncomfortable for him. Essentially, he's reliving the "price" his mom paid with any reader. No telling what "price" his mom paid, but it looks like it "cost" her son something valuable and being a part of a tarot reading again would be bring back bad memories for him. Just my take on it. :)

SwordOfTruth

What sort of "price" was he speaking of? I use tarot as a coping mechanism for medical reasons, and I have grown somewhat dependent on using the cards. I do not wish to give them up, but I do not want to put myself - or those around me - in danger.

If there was any price to pay I'd be the world's biggest debtor by now...Lol! Some people just hold negative beliefs about certain things and you need not buy into the same thinking if that does not resonate with you. I do practice magick as well, and as long as you don't go about transgressing other people's free will and boundaries it's absolutely fine also. Magick is nothing more than the focusing of intention which is what nearly everyone does on a conscious and unconscious level anyway.

I've had a few people adamantly refuse a reading with the same kind of fear in their eyes. I just shrug it off and don't push the issue. Everyone's allowed to determine what's right for them.

MandMaud

Come to that, I had someone refuse to come to an aromatherapy party because it "clashed with her religion" (which was Church of England). I really wanted to know how a lot of chemicals in the air could do anything, with or without a religion. Lemon oil is refreshing... tea tree oil is antibacterial... aromas are part of the dark arts...? :confused: :rolleyes:

VGimlet

I'm with SwordOfTruth here - if there was a price to pay I would be paid in full a long time ago - as I have been using tarot cards for 43 years now.

Maybe the guy felt his mom paid a price for her beliefs, but you never know where someone is coming from with those kinds of comments, either. I wouldn't worry too much about it - he's entitled to how he feels.

IMO people are inclined to blame external influences for everything from mental illness, to addiction, to pure bad luck and pretty much everything else bad that can happen in life. Not just the "woo-woo" (a general, rather joking term I use to include everything people might find unusual from ghost hunting to being a practicing witch, to tarot and so on) but involvement in music, art, all kinds of other things.

gregory

Something happened today that can't seem to get off my mind. I was waiting after class today, using my cards to practice divining, and one of my friends walked up to me. Her roommate was with her. Upon seeing my cards, she asked me to read the cards in order to help her deal with her stressed-out-med-student girlfriend, a request that I happily obliged to, as I was anticipating someone (and in fact, she was the one I had in mind,) to ask me so I could read for someone else. Her roommate, however, seemed... weary, to be quite frank, and not in a skeptical, "I don't believe in this stuff," sort of way, as would be expected. After reading my friend's tarot, she tried to convince her roommate to get his read as well, and he turned down the idea. I'm not sure I understood entirely what he was saying, and I don't know him all too well as I had only met him once before, but he mentioned something about his mother practicing witchcraft and that there would be a "price to pay," or something of the sort. When my friend asked him what "price" this could be, he simply replied with - "Oh, you'll know."
What could he have meant by this? I do not practice witchcraft, and I can't say I know as much about it as I would like. What sort of "price" was he speaking of? I use tarot as a coping mechanism for medical reasons, and I have grown somewhat dependent on using the cards. I do not wish to give them up, but I do not want to put myself - or those around me - in danger.
What does he mean ? He means he thinks tarot reading is a bad thing - for whatever reason in his shuttered little mind - and so he thinks you should think so too.

Not uncommon, and eminently ignorable.

I am 71; I have read tarot for several years now and so far I haven't paid one red cent of a "price". Well, except for all the decks I bought to do it with. Is that the price I paid ? If so it was 1000% worth it :D

chaosbloom

Come to that, I had someone refuse to come to an aromatherapy party because it "clashed with her religion" (which was Church of England). I really wanted to know how a lot of chemicals in the air could do anything, with or without a religion. Lemon oil is refreshing... tea tree oil is antibacterial... aromas are part of the dark arts...? :confused: :rolleyes:

Let's just say that you've never been near a hermit (monk). And you probably shouldn't unless you have some of those oils with you for emergencies.

Lucas Prince of Cats

As a woman once told me "witch" means "wise woman" and that's a statement for all such practices like things such as herbal remadies and tarot reading. The reason why The Hierophant has it's meaning is for a reason. People raised by the old ways of the church are raised to think that anything that is not traditional or raised by is evil or immoral, and these people can never think for themselves and that's what's truly unethical, really.

Holly doll

As a woman once told me "witch" means "wise woman" and that's a statement for all such practices like things such as herbal remadies and tarot reading. The reason why The Hierophant has it's meaning is for a reason. People raised by the old ways of the church are raised to think that anything that is not traditional or raised by is evil or immoral, and these people can never think for themselves and that's what's truly unethical, really.

<Standing ovation>
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: