LS Secret Tarot - 10 of Wands

Bean Feasa

'yuko' it is then! :)
I just read Thirteen's thread - practically everything she says always makes crystal clear sense to me so... no surprise to find it really insightful.
I suppose we're all getting the impression that the hard work, the overload of the ten wands, is there somewhere in the card - it's just that we're not seeing the central figure engaged in it, like we do in a lot of the scenic depictions. The work is like a separate presence, somewhere in the past, or somehow removed from her. Makes it all the more intriguing, I think.

Shade

For me the wands on the tapestry represent the way in which wands, a high energy spontaneous suit, get cramped by the structure of the 10 position. There's too much going on and the very vibrant wands lose their lively nature and become a memory of a former glory.

MareSaturni

Great take Shade! I had never thought about it, but what you said is definitely going to my journal! Yet the woman seems all nice about that (even if she's locked inside that castle)...the energy of the wands has ended, she has even a skull in her hand...but she looks all right, or kinda bored. The energy wasn't hers, afterall. One is exhausted (the skull), the other is locked/bored (the woman)...all in this castle is like a dead fire.

stagfoot

I was thinking, the skull looks too old to be her husbands.
Perhaps it's one of her ancestors.
Maybe shes a modern lady living off the hard work of her forebearers, with the castle being the ancestal home.

Then again the skull seems to have a split in it. perhaps thats not an aged patina but the stain of fresh blood! and shes the one wot dun em in!

Shade

I notice everyone wants to figure out just who that skull belonged to and I can understand that. When a card doesn't make sense right away trying to turn the image into a story can help the interpretive process along.

However I think sometimes in working with this deck it is important to also see some things more as direct symbols rather than as a prop in a larger story, as allegory.

For me, the skull is first and foremost a symbol of death. The energy that runs through the suit has played out. It's not just a skull it's a particularly decrepit, moldy skull. Its days are over; it's time to begin something new.

In my readings I sometimes interpret this card as wherever you were headed you've gotten as far as you're going to, hope you are pleased with the results.

This is one of the most enigmatic cards in the deck. This joins the 5 of Pentacles and Ace of Swords as the cards that throw a lot of readers. It's been my main reading deck for four years and it's achieved a minor miracle in holding my attention for so long.

Tree Sprite

OK, there's a fair chance that this thread is as dead as the skull in question, but what the hell....

I have to admit that she speaks to me a little bit differently. She is a woman firmly and confidently in control - she's done the hard yards to achieve her goals, but done it by using her brain - maybe that's where the skull comes in - the accumulated knowledge & wisdom of her ancestors has been brought to fruition in her lifetime, not least because of the drive she has added. She's got bare feet, because it's her place and she's comfortable - it's also a way of reminding visitors that she's at home, but they're not..they're in her domain, & don't forget it. Hard work pays off - and for her it has. Now she just has to hang onto it.

Arania

I agree. furthermore, she seems to be the type of woman who steps over corpses, as the saying is here. It is very hard to be in such a prominent place in society, especially in the shady world, because you are always envied and people try to shoot you down. That is why it fits perfectly for a 10, I think. You don't see her struggle so easily, but it is there.

Shade

I really like your interpretation Tree Sprite. She has definitely been empowered by her journey.

I re-read my alst response and now disagree compeltely with my earlier position on symbols. Story seems to be a very important factor with this deck and should be developed as the relationship with the cards deepens.

I like setting this card next to the ace of wands to see the change. The frightened but energetic bunny is quite a contrast to this lady of the manor.

euripides

I agree with Shade that the Skull is a Memento Mori - a reminder of mortality. (though I don't have a problem with alternative interpretations either).

To me she's a socialite - her 'work' is standing around in her high heels making conversation. She's taken the shoes off because her feet hurt. Maintaining her image is exhausting her, but she can't quite let it slip - even having a well-earned ciggie, she's compelled to maintain the mask of perfection.

Tree Sprite

Arania said:
furthermore, she seems to be the type of woman who steps over corpses, as the saying is here.

Arania, I love that saying - can you expand a bit more on what it means. Does it refer to a driven personality who can ignore all in her path to get to what she wants, or something different?