A bit of a silly question

Cybele

When you read for someone else, do you shuffle the cards yourselves or do you have the other person do the shuffling? I always let them do it, but I've met a girl that has been into tarot a lot longer than I have and she's very strict about not letting anyone touch her deck...I thought it was kind of silly but she's very serious about it.

Briar Rose

I think this was a whole big thread not too long ago.

I let people shuffle the cards. I don't mind people touching my cards as long as they don't have grubby hands.

Sulis

Hi Cybele,

I think that you'll find that most people around here will say it's entirely up to you, there are no rules.

Some people don't like others touching their cards whilst others actively encourage people to touch their cards.

Myself, I like folks to touch my cards as long as they don't treat them badly.
When I'm reading for someone else I usually shuffle myself and let them cut the deck. I've found that being asked to shuffle really worries some people as they think they'll do it wrong.
If someone specifically asks to shuffle then I let them :)

HearthCricket

I think it varies from person to person, on this forum. Some like the client to either shuffle or at least cut the deck so that they are putting their imprint on the cards and the reading. Of course, this cannot be done when one does a reading online or via a website or the phone!

I have always preferred to shuffle my own cards and maybe allow the client to cut. My reasons have been

1. Keeps the deck cleaner.
2. Keeps the deck nicer. Some people are horrible shufflers.
3. Keeps the reading more accurate. They are not "hoping" for a particular answer that gets passed through their touching the cards, thus not allowing for a true reading.

I find my readings are more accurate when I do not allow the client to touch the cards, at all. But that is just my way of reading.

Umbrae

I'd like to repeat what I've said before:

Umbrae said:
I love to have other touch my decks. The more they are handled by others (sitters and tarotists alike), the better they 'read'.
My problem with a new deck, is that it has no 'feeling', which develops over time.
A nice well used deck reads so much better than a 'virgin'.

:smoker:

Remember how mother used to urge us to share?

Umbrae said:
:smoker: I’ve been thinking a bit about Tarot Myths lately. Tarot Legends & Myths were explored in a portion of a presentation in Melbourne, and I’ve just continued thinking about it since I got home.

Then somebody asked about used decks, and if others could influence your deck. There were responses that used the terms: myths, legends, belief…tossed about were implications about what you choose to believe.

Somebody said something about not just energy being left on cards (and I suppose the term energy may have caused some concern for a few) but mentioned Fingerprints…DNA.

And I pulled up short.

What are fingerprints? A unique pattern of ridges and valleys on our fingers – a unique chaotic image made up of oils and secretions. These oils and secretions and dead tissue flakes, are left behind on everything we touch or brush up against. It is cellular material that carries a distinct deoxyribonucleic acid marker from the originator. A specific construction of a double helix joined by hydrogen bonds between purine and pyrimidine bases which project inward from two chains containing alternate links of deoxyribose and phosphate…each with a specific marker. DNA…the DNA molecule and double helix approximates Phi (1.6180). It measures 34 angstroms long by 21 angstroms wide for each full cycle of its double helix spiral, and their ratio is, 1.619. A cross-section view from looking down at the top of the DNA double helix, describes a decagon (see the back of a Voyager Deck), so that each spiral of the double helix will trace out the shape of a pentagon (think on that one for a bit).

The universe, from the logarithmic spiral of a galaxy’s arm – to the smallest element, including DNA, is constructed using phi. It’s the stuff of life itself).

But I’m rambling.

Fingerprints are said to be unique to each of us, as is our DNA. And we leave a bit of ourselves on whatever we come in contact with. The lead pipe, the candlestick, the rope, the Tarot deck…we touch it…and leave something unique behind.

A fingerprint within a fingerprint.

So let’s take a deck. A virgin deck, never shuffled, never handled. We shuffle with it, we meditate on the cards, examine the art. We impart a piece of ourselves, a bit of biomaterial, on each card.

So do our bodies contain micro-electricity; small charges of electrical current? Could it be different for each of us? Is it in our DNA or cellular material?

I think so, yes...

But if we leave a physical, cellular piece of ourselves behind – logic tells me that a micro-electrical charge may be imparted also.

Each sitter touches our virgin deck. Some shuffle, some only cut. Some only rest their hands on it while pondering their question by candlelight.

Overtime, the deck will indeed contain a little of each reading, a little of each sitter, a little of ourselves. A little good left behind by some, evil left behind by others…. A bit here and there…

Overtime…the deck may very well contain more than the sum of the imagery.

Quantum physics tells us the universe, as we know it does not exist. But we make it so. An electron here exchanges with an electron there. A few neutrinos shoot through (Swiiiiiiiiiiiiiing)…

I’m rambling again.

So there it is – genetic material on our deck, left by every sitter…why does a well-loved deck have a special feel to it, is there a feel that goes beyond the paper or ink?

...Atomic material within the deck, left by behind by every sitter… why does a well-loved deck have a special feel to it, is there a feel that goes beyond the paper or ink?

Some of us describe relationships we have with our decks, and are reminded that we are anthropomorphizing our decks.

Hmmm…are we?

Alan Ross

I prefer to shuffle myself, for practical reasons. I've had a couple of decks seriously damaged in the past by clumsy shufflers. Also some people are not very good at mixing up the cards when they shuffle. This is especially a problem when I read with oversized decks. So I shuffle myself, spread the cards out, and let the querent select cards.

Alta

I generally allow the querent to shuffle briefly and cut the cards. I think if they were rough with my cards I wouldn't hesitate to take them back.

But I don't think it is 'necessary', just something that gives them a feeling of ownership in the reading, which is important!

wytchwood

You know, I do let people shuffle the cards when I do readings for friends...but...

Since I became a guitar teacher, I have got into the habit of avoiding touching their guitars, their music folders, or them, unless absolutely necessary. The reason, is quite simply their lurgies that they pass onto me, and then, in turn, my family gets them, including my 2 year old son. Colds, coughs, tummy bugs, you name it, they bring it with them!

I think I might not let people shuffle my cards if I was a pro reader, as the same thing would probably happen, although my pupils are mostly school children who do get a lot more illnesses and infections! It would probably not be as bad with adults.

Zoe

Elven

I allow people to choose their deck, and shufle the cards in whatever manner they like - I usually shuffle the cards before handing the deck to them - they can see how much of a heavy shuffler I am - yet they do their own thing - and are very respectful :)

Its up to you :)
But I will ask if its OK, if I am going to handle or look at someone elses cards - I check with them first - thats just me :D

My only exception is a deck I read with for myself and no one else - and I really treasure these cards - they're the only ones with my 'print' on them :)

Furnacechant

Umbrae said:
I'd like to repeat what I've said before:

Originally Posted by Umbrae
I love to have other touch my decks. The more they are handled by others (sitters and tarotists alike), the better they 'read'.
My problem with a new deck, is that it has no 'feeling', which develops over time.
A nice well used deck reads so much better than a 'virgin'.

Remember how mother used to urge us to share?

Am I the only one who gets the clearest reading ever from a deck new out of the box, then finds it gets muddied up and quits working after awhile? I'm getting better at working with decks past their prime( I'd have to, can't afford to keep buying new), but I still find that a brand new deck fresh out of the plastic usually is the clearest to read. Perhaps I may just be feeling prompted to get a new deck when there's an important message for me, but why doesn't the prompt come to just read the OLD deck?