A "Price" to Pay

lark

I don't think he knew what he was talking about.
And if he did what he was talking about doesn't have anything do with tarot.
But when you practice spell work or even for that matter manifestation of any kind like people fool around with in that book The Secret..it does have ramifications.
Anytime you manipulate the morfagenic field...which we do all the time by the way...you change things.
If you do a tarot reading and offer someone 2 or 3 paths to take you aren't changing it they are.... by deciding to act or not act.
And by acting or not acting they are changing something....like I said we all do it everyday.
Did you have yogurt this morning instead of bacon and eggs?

So that old saying "be careful what you wish for" probably spawned from people noticing that sometimes wishing for something and getting it up-ends something else in your or a loved ones life.

That is why before initiating any big manifestation...you should always sit with it and look at it from every angle.
Because what you might find wonderful for you, could be heart breaking for someone close to you.

Tarot readings give people paths... it is their freewill to change it by acting or not acting on the situation.
You could argue that by knowing something that was previously unknown to them it is changing the field...
But I find that most reading are confirmation of points that were already known to the client...and sometimes sunk to an subconscious level and the reading lifts them up and out to be looked at.
So in affect the choices were already known....
It's kind of like shopping...you ask to see all the colors of mittens...and then you pick the blue ones.
Would life be different if you had picked the green ones?
Maybe.

If that boys mother really was a witch and practiced manifestation she might have been very sloppy at it and he suffered from the repercussions of her spell work...it is possible.

Barleywine

If that boys mother really was a witch and practiced manifestation she might have been very sloppy at it and he suffered from the repercussions of her spell work...it is possible.

I might see it that way if he was younger and more impressionable when it happened. If he was older, a child's growing tendency to reject anything emanating from a parent may have shielded him. (I'm being semi-serious here, which is saying something.)

Brilliance

Something happened today that can't seem to get off my mind. I was waiting after class today, using my cards to practice divining, and one of my friends walked up to me. Her roommate was with her. Upon seeing my cards, she asked me to read the cards in order to help her deal with her stressed-out-med-student girlfriend, a request that I happily obliged to, as I was anticipating someone (and in fact, she was the one I had in mind,) to ask me so I could read for someone else. Her roommate, however, seemed... weary, to be quite frank, and not in a skeptical, "I don't believe in this stuff," sort of way, as would be expected. After reading my friend's tarot, she tried to convince her roommate to get his read as well, and he turned down the idea. I'm not sure I understood entirely what he was saying, and I don't know him all too well as I had only met him once before, but he mentioned something about his mother practicing witchcraft and that there would be a "price to pay," or something of the sort. When my friend asked him what "price" this could be, he simply replied with - "Oh, you'll know."
What could he have meant by this? I do not practice witchcraft, and I can't say I know as much about it as I would like. What sort of "price" was he speaking of? I use tarot as a coping mechanism for medical reasons, and I have grown somewhat dependent on using the cards. I do not wish to give them up, but I do not want to put myself - or those around me - in danger.

Just ignore him.

Padma

I don't know about real magick, but a common misunderstanding I don't like is that tarot reading is magic. There is nothing special about what we do with them. Each card is simply assigned a meaning, and there is nothing pricy about reading everyday signs.

I think what he meant was "I can't tell you because I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about".

:) :) :)

:laugh: that was a freaking awesome answer!!! :laugh: and probably the truth!

There's something like "price to pay" in many different pagan and shamanistic traditions. I don't want to say it's complicated, it has just different faces depending on culture and traditions. But I don't think this guy was thinking that "deep". He had a very simplistic view so there's no need to get into it. By using Tarot, you won't get any "price to pay". Tarot is a tool, nothing more and nothing less :)

As everyone here has said - more or less - Keep calm, and carry on :)

As long as you are not harming people with your reading skills, there is no toll exacted. (and one wonders whom exactly would demand the toll!) :rolleyes: It sounded like a grandiose dose of superstition, to me.

Holly doll

Sounds like he had some control issues - not coming out with what he's thinking but making others doubt themselves in the process - as well as a dose of fear & guilt; sounds like some regurgitation of orthodox religion, & as has been said didn't have a clue what he was yattering about... Especially when he's talking about cardboard with pictures... Cards don't have that kinda power })

Maybe he has issues with his mum practising witchcraft but refuses to discuss it with her, just resents her for it - who knows...? Maybe she loves what she's doing & he's feeling left out... As earthair said - maybe she asked him to do some cleaning... })

If someone automatically assumes that only witches use tarot, it shows how little they know about the subject ;). Heaps of non witch people use tarot, & not every witch does use tarot; some use runes, while others use water, mirrors, crystals or spheres; the list is endless. Now & again I'll use tarot in spell or sabbat work, but it's not a "law" that things "should" only be done a certain way. :D

As someone once said: "The dogs may bark, but the caravan passes on" - in other words don't worry about what he says, keep doing what you do & his opinions will fade into the distance... ;)

MissNine

I think he's talking about playing with fire.

Padma

Miss Nine, please explain yourself. What fire...?

MissNine

Miss Nine, please explain yourself. What fire...?

I mean the old adage...if you play with fire, you're gonna get burned.
It sounds like there were negatives to his mom divining.

Padma

I mean the old adage...if you play with fire, you're gonna get burned.
It sounds like there were negatives to his mom divining.

Perhaps...we don't know that...but in reference to the OP, I can't see how there would be hell to pay for reading the cards.