A "Tarot Mentor"

suedeheadsmiths

I totally agree about how wonderful it on here. Being a newbie, this site has been priceless to me. Umbrae give me the courage to start reading for other people and to get outside of myself. Every question I've ever had on here have been answered with kindness and understanding. I can't say enough good things about everyone on here.

Thanks, Chris

The crowned one

My first one was a girl/lady over 25 years ago, her beauty got me interested in tarot and on our first reading, a Celtic cross, she drew her card as a influence in my life, that started me down the road of learning tarot. Sadly I brain washed myself based on other peoples beliefs that they were "evil" two years in. I am well over that false belief and really enjoying tarot on a deeper level then back then, I would say this site and its members are my mentors now, as I study alone.

celticnoodle

well, i was exposed to tarot all my life. my mother read cards, though not necessarily in front of us kids. however, we knew she read cards and we often played with her cards as well. she never really took the time to explain them per se, nor did she encourage us to learn tarot. my aunts also read cards, and many other family members did too, as well as tea leaves, palms, ect.

my family would never read for other family members---very taboo for them for the most part, but on occasion they would ignore the "family rule" and do so, but only for a very very special reason.

but, my mother did take my siblings and i for tarot readings & psychic readings from the time we were about 14 or so---to reputable readers. it wasn't until much later in life I got the urge to learn tarot, but was first drawn to cartomancy with a regular deck of playing cards---just like mom. i bought a book, read it, and started. i did later take a class and then was hooked for sure. Then I bought my first tarot deck. It went on from there, and now, (though I try desperately not to spend money on too many decks :D), I find I must own 'just one more deck'! :surprise:

also, this website has really encouraged me and helped me tremendously! I've learned so much here---I cannot imagine not consulting this site when I have a question about tarot.

Deacon76

I've tried hard to find a "flesh and blood" mentor the past few months. I ran into serious issues trying to apply to ATA, and I class I signed up for locally was cancelled two days before the first meeting was sheduled to start. Frustrating, but maybe it was for the best. I'm used to trying things out on my own, and as so many people here have advised, "practice, practice and practice with the cards some more," really does seem to be the ebst way to get to know them. It is such a personal journey, that mentors and book learning can probably only help you with the first step or two.

That said, it sure is nice to have like-minded people to talk to and bounce ideas with. This forum and the members have been a great resource for that. But it would be great to sometime meet face-to-face with a fellow reader or enthusiast.