Chris Butler's Inner Landscape Tarot

jackdaw*

Has anyone seen, owned or used this deck?

I have been in love with the wonderful Butler Tarot for a long time. The modern take on such cards as the Eight of Coins is great, as is the man waiting for his hot-air balloon to come in on the Three of Staves, and I love the bountiful Empress. Unfortunately, the price for an artist-produced made-to-order deck of this caliber is beyond my means.

However, mooning over Mr. Butler's website the other day, I took another look at his Inner Landscape Tarot. It is essentially a retake on the Butler Tarot. Some cards are tweaked slightly (the main figure in the Magician is shadowed), others are completely redone (while I preferred the original Page of Cups, I LOVE the new Queen of Cups!) and others appear to be unchanged (the Fool). It has really grown on me, and I think now I prefer it to the Butler.

But in the Shop on this site, the artist offers a pocket edition - about the size of a pack of playing cards. Lately I have been drawn to the portability of mini-decks and smaller decks - I'm rarely without my mini Minchiate Fiorentine these days, for example! So this deck in this size really catches my fancy.

The price is still steep - 40 pounds for the deck and shipping, almost $85 Canadian - but remotely feasible now, compared to twice that for the full size version of either deck.

The deck can be seen in its entirety at:

http://www.butlerart.co.uk/tarot/ILT/View-Deck.htm

I can't get this deck out of my head! Opinions, anyone? Enabling and/or de-enabling (disabling?) welcome!

Thanks,
QueenofPentacles

baba-prague

I don't have the deck, but I thought I'd just mention (sorry if I'm telling you something that you already know) that Chris Butler is a very active member of AT. He may well have more to say about his decks. It's nice to see a new thread about them.

Cerulean

Lovely site and many different decks...

I really enjoyed seeing this and reading the Inner Landscape is the one he uses for readings with others.

Great to see a beautiful body of diverse work.

Thank you!

Cerulean

P.S. He even sews his own bags for sale with his deck! I'm impressed with handcrafting, so added extras like that make me fall out of my chair with delight. Of course I'm silly that way...as if packaging detracts from the sheer beauty of images...

Maybe I'm sometimes more interested in the accessories to make a deck look great sometimes...like me looking at frames instead of the picture or admiring a deck box and trying to pick a bookcover or piece of material to make a bookcover...to match the deck!

jackdaw*

I agree with Cerulean ... the decks (and the website) are really interesting. I've bumped 2 or 3 decks off my "definite" wish list to make room for this one :)

And baba-prague, I remember reading in another thread that Chris is a member of the forum. If you're reading this ... you have a fan in Canada!

huredriel

I saw Chris's deck today, and handled it :), and I have to say it's a wonderful deck, especially the mini one, it's so cute :love: (sorry but it is cute), oh and those bags are lovely, especially the green one ;)

jackdaw*

Ohhhh ... huredriel, you've seen it? Wow! What is the cardstock like? And the finish?

huredriel

It's lovely, smooth and feels very nice in the hands ........ and I even got a reading off Chris with it *smug smile*, sorry couldn't help adding that bit :D

jackdaw*

Ooh ... guess I HAVE to order it now!

Thanks for the feedback!