Etruscan tarot: V the high priest

poopsie

Description in booklet: "I listen to a higher voice". A priest shows the way during a religious procession honoring nature".

The Etruscan High Priestess nourishes with offerings ... our High Priest seems to be like a cellphone that connects us to a higher power... one who helps us determine the power that lies within us...

Our High Priest faces east, barefooted, his right hand holding on to his staff which is NOT touching the ground. His left arm raised open-palmed, pointing towards a particular direction. A plant is on his left side slightly swayed to the left, and while he walks towards the east, a flying bird slightly above his staff leads onward to the left. He wears a white robe below the knee-length and a brown or is it burgundy (?) tunic above his robe.

My own thoughts: Perhaps, a way to look at the Etruscan High Priest would be to reflect on our being able to look inside us. I perceive that the card may be a gentle sign for us to recall our purpose or our direction, what is it we really want for ourselves and/or a situation that affects us currently. It reminds us to ponder on what we have set for ourselves, and the degree of belief we have about our own faith in ourselves to be able to achieve this ... listening to a higher power is actually listening to our core within.

There is a northside to our goals which may be significant for action and relentless; the east in us is the clearest sequence or path or steps we can take to get there; the southern aspect of our goals may tell us of the importance of relationships and how they help us with the results we want. The west may be the hidden aspect of us, creative and intuitive, which can also be both an advantage or disadvantage if we don't manage it well.

And since our High Priest is leading a process for venerating nature, there may be instances that the he may be hinting to us that we are actually the leaders of our own lives, and therefore, we can choose to take action on something, or simply let nature take its course.

What I gathered from its history:

Apparently, in Etruria, the priests were not limited to pure religious rituals. They were consulted even for the planning of cities and where temples and houses can be located.

In the www.mysteriousetruscans.com website, "The basis of Etruscan religion was the fundamental idea that the destiny of man was completely determined by the vagaries of the many deities worshipped by the Etruscans. Every natural phenomenon, such as lightning, the structure of the internal organs of sacrificial animals, or the flight patterns of birds, was therefore an expression of the divine will, and contained a message which could be interpreted by trained priests such as Augurs...For the Etruscans believed that auspicious and inauspicious powers were irrevocably and for all eternity located in the four quarters of the sky, in accordance with the cosmic stations of the gods. The east was considered of good augury, because there the highest deities, those favourable to man, had chosen to dwell. The north east was the most auspicious and promised good fortune. In the south the gods of earth and nature ruled. The terrible and merciless gods of the underworld and of fate dwelt, it was believed, in the drear regions of the west, especially
in the quarter between north and west, which was the most inauspicious. "

poopsie

A little more discovery

I found the High Priest model from the Tomb of Augurs ... there was a slight difference in the attire worn by the High Priest versus the one in the card.

I realize that the scepter which I thought the High Priest held was actually called a Lituus -- and got its definition from wikipedia -

The lituus was a crooked wand (similar in shape to the top part of a crosier) used as a cult instrument in ancient Roman religion by augurs to mark out a ritual space in the sky (a templum). The passage of birds through this templum indicated divine favor or disfavor for a given undertaking.

The lituus was also used as a symbol of office for the college of the augurs to mark them out as a priestly group.

Apparently, the augur's name is Tevarath.

annik

I usually don't like the high priest card but I like this one. And I am happy to know the name of the staff. The High Priest look mature and have experience. He sure look confident. The way he point ahead with his hand makes me think of "Let's move ahead, forward." He also doesn't look back.

poopsie

Hi Annik, I'll add your insight that he doesn't look back in my journal. That's a good one for me.