AT Comparative Study - B - Ace of Swords

Moonbow

Druidcraft

Symbolism and Imagery

This card shows a huge stretch of calm water with a circular ripple and an arm rising from the centre of it holding a sword. It's the typical Excalibur scene. There are hills on each side of the lake and the sky shows a beautiful purple and yellow dawn. The tip of the sword just catches the first ray of the morning sun and in the sky a bird of prey catches the gentle breeze and glides through the air.

Comparisons/contrasts

The main theme of the card is the central position of the sword and the hawk circling in the sky to represent the suit element. The sunrise portrays the aspect of beginning or intitiation and brings in the numerology of the suit.

Initial reactions

The water in this card is very realistic and the there is a power about the card which is just breathtaking. It's like the sword has been raised at just the right time to catch the first sun ray. The scene is tranquil but also strong with a feeling of alone-ness about it. In fact all the aces in this deck are very powerful as they should be because to me they represent the potential of the suit. This card in particular stands for truth and fortitude also. Great card.

The Book

Swords are the suit of Air, which in DruidCraft is allocated to the east, place of the rising sun. The hawk that flies high in the light of the dawn sky is the Druid totem animal of Air. Keywords are clarity, success and clean break.

Goldenhair

Ace of Swords [from Via Tarot]

Symbolism/Imagery - A priestess, adorned with the elemental symbol for air, holds a sword aloft. The sword's hilt is made up of a cresent moon and the elemantal symbols for water and fire. There are runes engraved on the two-sided blade. Clouds [water in air] surround the priestess. From the center of the blade a sun bursts forth [fire in air] and a yellow ball of light encompasses most of the sword. from near the point of the sword a swastica-like rune has formed. Off the swastica's arms, energy swirls form. Where the energy swirls intersect the ball of light, the swirls are brightly colored - purple, blue, red and orange. Outside the light the energy swirls are black, gray and white. From the tip of the sword concentric circles of black and white are emitted.

Contrast/Comparison - As opposed to a hand holding the sword, the priestess is seen from the waist up. There is no real background depicted, there is a sense of black space and dark forms behind the imagery.

Initial Reaction - The sword is filling the black space with energy. The ball of light it produces is moving outwards exposing the colors that exist in the world. As it moves outward it is easier to 'see' what it has touched, giving the dark forms meaning. Like a spark that ignites a fire.

mercenary30

Templar Tarot

Symbolism and imagery –The scene is centered a woman who is sitting with her body pointing front and right (about 4 o’clock). Her head is turned to look over her left shoulder so only the back of her head is visible. Her right hand is holding on to a skull and she is using it to support the position of her body. In her left hand is a sword, which she has raised up to the sky. Her blue dress is gathered on the ground below her legs and feet. There is evidence that the rest of the skeleton is also present along with that skull. The sky is full of reds up high, blues to the left of the card and yellows and whites to the right of the card, so it seems to be a sunrise. There is an eagle (??) in the sky, that is flying toward her like it is arriving with the dawn.

Comparisons/contrasts with other decks –In most tarot packs either the sword will be found alone or held in a hand without any additional visuals as to who is holding it. This card not only shows a whole person, but also there is the sunrise signifying a “new day” or new beginnings. We have a skeleton signifying the darker ends of the suit of swords. There is the eagle representing an abstract idea and as a symbol of power. Lastly there is the women who is wielding the sword with such gusto. This version visually displays much of what is assumed when seen in other packs.

Initial reactions –As usual I really like the way additional meaning or symbolism is added to a card in the Templar pack. This card almost reminds me of a program cover for a play or a book. The picture here gives me a good idea what kind of things I can expect to see within the suit that follows.

Book Notes – A seated woman holds a sword aloft in triumph while an eagle flies towards her. Her other hand rests on a skull and bones. Behind her the sky is rosy with dawn.

Divinatory Meaning: Triumph of devine justice; strength found in adversity; breaking down an old order for the new. Championship and conquest. Great force in love.

Reverse Meaning: All the power of the divinatory meaning but instead of triumph there is disaster. Destruction, negative energy, misused power.

Moonbow

Tarot of the Spirit - One of Wind

http://www.angelpaths.com/decks/spirit/wind/Image1.html

Symbolism and Imagery

The image is abstract but shows a dark and murky looking area and in contrast a light, sunny area. I see what looks like shards of glass at all different angles and amongst them there appear to be butterflies, though its difficult to tell exactly what is painted as the imagination plays an important part in understanding image.

Initial Reactions

I see the dark area as being reality, the mundane and the lighter area as shattered glass or crystals which have exploded and are full of sunlight. Its the sort of image that let the imagination roam and in a reading situation would give inspiration.

Book

Dark clouds of your mind are scattered as if blown awy by a strong wind at daybreak Not far off my own thoughts, but the book goes into allot of depth of how this card could be read and also includes a meditation to try. Pay attention to new thought; this is an exiting time as you think about your new idea...