Harmonious Sevens

madhavendra

After a long break new cards from Harmonious deck! I tried to analyze sevens and now I know why this study group got stuck after six. These are really difficult cards, specially Swords and Pentacles. I tried to do some researches on the net, to find some more information about Walter Crane’s art but it didn’t help much. I try my best and maybe while writing I will get some ideas. So here we go-

(Amongst other meanings Sevens are telling us about loosing control over some aspects of our lives)

Seven of Wands- Two man clearly feeling the combat spirit. Right side man is dressed in white 16-17 century cloths. He is waving white handkerchief in the front of the other man’s face. It looks quite challenging. He seems to be very proud. You can see the sword sticking out of his white coat. The other man is dressed in red (well-reddish, but usually in this deck colors are not striking your eyes, they are soft and subdued.) His face is expressing anger in more clearly and straightforward way then the other guy’s expression. He is throwing away the flower he was just holding and he is showing the ground with his index finger. Over their heads you can see seven wands situated vertically, all going in one direction- towards two people. You don’t see much of the environment; in some distance the grass is merging with the sky. Could it be misty morning? As I remember from movies often the duels were taking place in early morning, to avoid problems with the law. Well-this is the movie knowledge so I don’t know how accurate it is ;)

The message of this card is very clear- you are challenged. Now I can see that the white handkerchief could be actually not handkerchief but the glove! This is the way how you were inviting your opponent to the duel- throwing at his face your glove. My sympathy here is on the side of “red” guy. He seems to be the one who has to stand for his honor.
In RWS deck the combat is uneven. One person has to fight with 6 enemies. Here there are only two persons, but under careful observation you can see that the “white” man looks richer and stronger. His cloths, coat, hat, everything looks wealthier. He even has the spur. The “red” man (who in my opinion represents the querant) is not that well equipped, still he accepts challenge without hesitation. This is how I would interpret this card- you are going to be challenged and though your opponents, or the situation seem to be stronger then you, still you don’t refuse to fight.

That was easy :)

Lets go to Seven of Chalices. Card rather faithfully fallowing RWS version. Instead of young man we see as a main character young lady sitting together with young man on the soft sofa, covered with blanket. As looking at the mirror in the hand of her friend the women is arranging her hair. However the mirror instead of showing her real reflection shows reflection of old woman. It seems to me that the women doesn’t realize what she sees, somehow she is blind to the truth. The young man holding mirror sits in quite frivolous, relax manner. There is a rose laying on the grass, and behind the sofa we see lily. Then over their heads we have familiar 7 cups containing head, jewels, laurel wreath, dragon, castle, snake, and mysterious figure covered with white shroud.

Main message of this card is to be trapped between different choices, not to be able to make one. Other meaning speaks about illusion, self-deception. The girl looks at the mirror but she doesn’t see what it tells her. Probably she sees only what she wants to see. How can you be in control of the situation if you don’t accept the reality? First you have to face it, see clearly, and only then you can make the proper choice.

One more thing- in some book (I cant remember the title) I read that the 7 of Chalices is about spiritual awakening, finding the enlightenment. In the beginning this is how I was reading it, until I found other explanations that in my opinion were closer to the spirit of sevens in general. I don’t know if this interpretation is grounded in tradition, but if it is, it goes really nicely with the picture; young girl in spite of her beauty and age sees herself as a spiritual being, understanding that this material body is just a short dream, so it doesn’t really matter young or old, “vanity of vanities” … 

And now here we go:

Seven of Swords and Seven of Pentacles, and I’ve got no idea how to figure them out.

Seven of Swords shows two girls facing the same direction, each of them holds in her hand lily of the valley, and they are wrapped in huge leaves. Over their heads there are 3 swords (horisontal position), and at their feet we see remaining 4 swords, scattered randomly on the ground. Traditionally this card tells us about someone stealing something from us; our ideas etc, we’ve been cheated. I’m blocked here- I don’t see it, and I need help. Maybe someone could link some other known meaning of this card to the picture?

Seven of Pentacles… I don’t even try. For that I think you’ve got to have some basic Greek mythology knowledge. I attach the pictures of cards, so if you don’t have a deck, you could still help with interpretation…please!

7 of Wands

7 of Chalices

7 of Swords

7 of Pentacles

Grip Dellabonte

Seven of Wands- Two man clearly feeling the combat spirit. Right side man is dressed in white 16-17 century cloths. He is waving white handkerchief in the front of the other man’s face. It looks quite challenging. He seems to be very proud. You can see the sword sticking out of his white coat. The other man is dressed in red (well-reddish, but usually in this deck colors are not striking your eyes, they are soft and subdued.) His face is expressing anger in more clearly and straightforward way then the other guy’s expression. He is throwing away the flower he was just holding and he is showing the ground with his index finger. Over their heads you can see seven wands situated vertically, all going in one direction- towards two people. You don’t see much of the environment; in some distance the grass is merging with the sky. Could it be misty morning? As I remember from movies often the duels were taking place in early morning, to avoid problems with the law. Well-this is the movie knowledge so I don’t know how accurate it is

The message of this card is very clear- you are challenged. Now I can see that the white handkerchief could be actually not handkerchief but the glove! This is the way how you were inviting your opponent to the duel- throwing at his face your glove. My sympathy here is on the side of “red” guy. He seems to be the one who has to stand for his honor.
In RWS deck the combat is uneven. One person has to fight with 6 enemies. Here there are only two persons, but under careful observation you can see that the “white” man looks richer and stronger. His cloths, coat, hat, everything looks wealthier. He even has the spur. The “red” man (who in my opinion represents the querant) is not that well equipped, still he accepts challenge without hesitation. This is how I would interpret this card- you are going to be challenged and though your opponents, or the situation seem to be stronger then you, still you don’t refuse to fight.

Hi, Martin! Glad you started this up again.

Actually, it wasn't because the cards were such a challenge - though they often are - it's just everybody got busy at the same time....just like now!

It's taken me weeks to post on the sevens. But I may finally have time again to devote to this deck. I would really love to get through it.

Seven of Wands

This "encounter" reminded me of the War of the Roses when I first saw it....one man in white, one in red.....except the man in white has a wilted lily, and the man in red looks to have dropped a bouquet of something other than roses...could have been brought as a peace offering, but seeing the idea spurned, he knows a confrontation is inevitable....

Anyway....I agree with all your points and only have a few things to add.

1. The man in the red is in the more defensive of the two stances. He is leaning back further which implies to me that he is the one under attack. But, both of his feet are solidly planted. He appears to have backed up as far as he's going to go. He is pointing down at the other man's feet - or in that direction. The first thing I thought was that he has placed an invisible marker on the ground making it known to the other man where his boundary is. He is also looking the other man straight in the eye.

2. The other man possibly is not up for the fight. He may have initiated it, but didn't think he would be faced with such resistance. Not only is his lily limp ( and I do not mean this as a double entendre....it just struck me that there was a reason that particular flower was chosen...), but he is haughtily not looking at the other man. Could be false bravado.

3. This is in keeping with some takes on the 7 of Wands: you are up against a challenge, but now must take a stand. Make your boundaries, and stick to them. The opponent may not be as strong as you think. We came to the same conclusion on this one!

Lets go to Seven of Chalices. Card rather faithfully fallowing RWS version. Instead of young man we see as a main character young lady sitting together with young man on the soft sofa, covered with blanket. As looking at the mirror in the hand of her friend the women is arranging her hair. However the mirror instead of showing her real reflection shows reflection of old woman. It seems to me that the women doesn’t realize what she sees, somehow she is blind to the truth. The young man holding mirror sits in quite frivolous, relax manner. There is a rose laying on the grass, and behind the sofa we see lily. Then over their heads we have familiar 7 cups containing head, jewels, laurel wreath, dragon, castle, snake, and mysterious figure covered with white shroud.

Main message of this card is to be trapped between different choices, not to be able to make one. Other meaning speaks about illusion, self-deception. The girl looks at the mirror but she doesn’t see what it tells her. Probably she sees only what she wants to see. How can you be in control of the situation if you don’t accept the reality? First you have to face it, see clearly, and only then you can make the proper choice.

One more thing- in some book (I cant remember the title) I read that the 7 of Chalices is about spiritual awakening, finding the enlightenment. In the beginning this is how I was reading it, until I found other explanations that in my opinion were closer to the spirit of sevens in general. I don’t know if this interpretation is grounded in tradition, but if it is, it goes really nicely with the picture; young girl in spite of her beauty and age sees herself as a spiritual being, understanding that this material body is just a short dream, so it doesn’t really matter young or old, “vanity of vanities” … 

Seven of Cups

Dang! You said most of what I was going to say! HA!

Let me see if I can contribute anything at all to the above....must get uber-caffeinated first....

1. The mirror/picture is a major talking point and is a great effect in this card. It could trigger so many different intuitive responses depending upon who a person was reading for. I see this.....

However the mirror instead of showing her real reflection shows reflection of old woman. It seems to me that the women doesn’t realize what she sees, somehow she is blind to the truth.

and this:

Other meaning speaks about illusion, self-deception. The girl looks at the mirror but she doesn’t see what it tells her. Probably she sees only what she wants to see. How can you be in control of the situation if you don’t accept the reality? First you have to face it, see clearly, and only then you can make the proper choice.

and this:

I don’t know if this interpretation is grounded in tradition, but if it is, it goes really nicely with the picture; young girl in spite of her beauty and age sees herself as a spiritual being, understanding that this material body is just a short dream, so it doesn’t really matter young or old, “vanity of vanities” …

I also saw three more....

- kind of a Dorian Gray thing. The picture ages, and carries the marks of all the young girl's self-perceived transgressions.

- Or, where the boy shows her a reflection of her own beauty, she does not see it.

- Or....it isn't a mirror, but a picture. And a picture of someone that the boy expects the girl to emulate.

2. I also see this image as the boy making all kinds of offers to her, and clouding her head up. There are too many choices. Some of them are not necessarily good ones, either (what is that cloaked thing?). Why would she want to work for anything when this young man will give her everything? Or at least...make promises...

3. Speaking from personal experience, when one has too many choices given to them, it's difficult to make any choice at all.

I would say this card warns about being unable to make decisions. Also, it warns against wanting too many material things....avarice.

Possibly it also warns one to be aware of a silver-tongued courter.

As an aside, one thing that throws me out of this card (although I like one of the kings bearing a strong resemblance to a real king...;)), is this card reminds me of a real person who was famous, and I feel a pang every time it comes up...

Seven of Swords shows two girls facing the same direction, each of them holds in her hand lily of the valley, and they are wrapped in huge leaves. Over their heads there are 3 swords (horisontal position), and at their feet we see remaining 4 swords, scattered randomly on the ground. Traditionally this card tells us about someone stealing something from us; our ideas etc, we’ve been cheated. I’m blocked here- I don’t see it, and I need help. Maybe someone could link some other known meaning of this card to the picture?

Seven of Swords

This really is a tough one, I agree with you. The only couple of things I can add are these:

The young woman on the left may be mimicking the girl on her right since she can see what the girl is doing. She copies her almost exactly. But as it often happens when you copy a person's movements, you get your hands wrong. Not only is she holding her flower and garment with the opposite hands, but she's not holding either item in the same way as the first girl.

They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, yet sometimes the person being imitated doesn't feel flattered, but feels diminished, and diluted.

It is interesting that to the right of the girl without the cap is a pair of actual lilies-of-the-valley. One plant is obviously smaller than the other.

So does this represent the two girls? Does the "original" indeed feel diminished, or, is it showing that the second girl is a paler imitation of the first?

If one does become a "thief" of another's personality, they are in effect selling themselves short - not allowing their own unique qualities to come out.

I am being too philosophical trying to figure this card out. Mainly...I'm just trying to clarify things "on paper"...and it's not really working!

I don't get thievery, smugness, taking advantage - anything like the traditional meanings - from this card.

If I were to go by the image of the card alone, I would think the girls were of like mind - two peas in a pod. One does not really seem that distressed over the other...

Anybody else want to weigh in??? :)

Seven of Pentacles… I don’t even try. For that I think you’ve got to have some basic Greek mythology knowledge. I attach the pictures of cards, so if you don’t have a deck, you could still help with interpretation…please!

Seven of Pentacles

Again, I completely agree with you, Martin. This is a very vague card.

This man, merman, satyr...hard to tell since half of him is hidden behind a plant...is calmly relaxing by the seashore and, dare I say it? I dare!...tooting his own horn. Nothing better to do. Just standing. And tooting. Again, I say. No double entendre meant.

But whether he is blowing his horn just to play music, or because he's calling to someone, his purpose is unclear.

I guess if this card were to come up, it could be a sign that the querent is due some "down" time, and can just take a bit of a rest.

The person certainly does seem fairly relaxed.....

Alrighty, Martin! Ready for the eights? :)

madhavendra

Yupppeee! ;)
I was waiting for you Grip:). Sure I am always ready:) Lets go with eights!

Grip Dellabonte

Okay! Now....do you want to do the first write-up for the eights, or shall I?

If I do, don't worry if you don't see them posted until Monday or Tuesday.

It gets pretty active around here on the weekends! But during the week everyone is safely sequestered away at school or work, and I have some quiet hours each day to post. Usually...;)

madhavendra

Grip Dellabonte said:
Okay! Now....do you want to do the first write-up for the eights, or shall I?

If I do, don't worry if you don't see them posted until Monday or Tuesday.

It gets pretty active around here on the weekends! But during the week everyone is safely sequestered away at school or work, and I have some quiet hours each day to post. Usually...;)

I think it can be nice if we write our interpretations independently and then it's fun to see how our minds work:) so it doesnt matter who is first or second. What you say?

Grip Dellabonte

That's fine, too. That's how Keavy and I have been doing it as well. We were trying not to be influenced by each other. It usually worked out pretty well.

So I should have my post up anywhere between now....and next Friday! :D

Carla

madhavendra said:

7 of Swords

I have spent a few days thinking about this card. It troubled me very much that I couldn't figure out what these two ladies in lily of the valley costumes had to do with a thief absconding with all the swords. But throughout the Harmonious, all messages have been softened and made more subtle. It is true you can't see overt messages of unethical action. You have to know that 7 of Swords traditionally depicts it. However, you can get a vague sense of threat from the very presence of swords. So I perceive that this card warns to protect oneself from the threat of 7 of Swords style unethical behaviour--theft, deception, double-dealings and shady goings on.

The swords represent the bad acts themselves, and the figures are protecting themselves from the threat of the swords by pulling their lily of the valley costumes around themselves as fully as they can, while also keeping their arms out for defense and their eyes uncovered so they can see what's coming! The swords hanging over head, which they are shielding themselves from using the blossoms of the lily of the valley, represent overt acts against them, while the swords lying on the ground represent the temptation to take up the swords and behave unethically themselves.

The lily of the valley symbolises purity, sweetness, humility, happiness--these are the protection against people who behave unethically, and against doing bad things yourself.

Carla

madhavendra said:

7 of Pentacles

Grip Dellabonte said:
Seven of Pentacles

Again, I completely agree with you, Martin. This is a very vague card.

This man, merman, satyr...hard to tell since half of him is hidden behind a plant...is calmly relaxing by the seashore and, dare I say it? I dare!...tooting his own horn. Nothing better to do. Just standing. And tooting. Again, I say. No double entendre meant.

But whether he is blowing his horn just to play music, or because he's calling to someone, his purpose is unclear.

I guess if this card were to come up, it could be a sign that the querent is due some "down" time, and can just take a bit of a rest.

The person certainly does seem fairly relaxed.....

I've done a little thinking about the 7 of Pentacles as well. It's real stumper when you first look at it. But here's what I've come up with.

Okay, 7 of Pentacles is usually taken to mean a time to take stock, stop and evaluate what we've done so far and consider making changes. This is usually shown as a man leaning on a hoe considering the pentacles growing on a plant he's been tending. It's clear he's stopped in his labours. You have to know that before you can interpret this 7 of Pents, I feel.

Here we have a triton, a sea god who would blow on a horn (usually a shell) in order to either call up the waves, or calm them down. Here, he is blowing on a great big foxglove blossom, and holding a big stalk of foxglove over one shoulder. Foxglove is the source of a cardiac medication, digitalis, and you can also make a diuretic tea from foxglove. On the other hand, you can also poison someone with foxglove!

So, Triton can make waves or calm them down. Foxglove can cure you or kill you. It's time to step back and decide what you want to do. Do you want to make waves, or smooth them over? Do you need to nurture a situation, or kill it? It's time to make those decisions.

That's my interpretation, and it wasn't easy coming to it, I can tell you!