The Customizable No-Question Spread

Chiriku

That's great to hear, Kalliope.

I like the feeling of insulation I get from knowing I have a spread prepared for people who profess to have no real question that will also give them useful info.

The full spread also combines advice-oriented tarot with predictive tarot which makes it all purpose.

Thank you for trying it.

Hemera

This is a brilliant spread thank you Chiriku. I have now printed it to three different notebooks :p
I once tried to compose something like this but I must say I came nowhere near this one.
I also like your alternative versions and I must try them out,too.

Chiriku

Hemera--I appreciate your high praise! I thank you for sharing your view of the spread and hope you will report back on how it worked for you.

Carla

I have been practising this spread out loud on my own with an imaginary querent. I intend to use it with real people when I work a psychic faire at the end of the month. :)

Chiriku

Carla, that is very inspiring to hear. I am surprised you are reading at a faire given your recent antipathy towards reading for the typically-minded sitters on the "same-old, same-old" subjects (an antipathy I share), but encouraged that you think the spread could enhance your readings there.

If you are amenable to doing so, I hope you will post a thread either in Professional or Talking Tarot detailing how your readings at the faire went (and which permutation of this spread you used). I'm sure such a thread would be very instructional for people here.

Carla

Carla, that is very inspiring to hear. I am surprised you are reading at a faire given your recent antipathy towards reading for the typically-minded sitters on the "same-old, same-old" subjects (an antipathy I share), but encouraged that you think the spread could enhance your readings there.

If you are amenable to doing so, I hope you will post a thread either in Professional or Talking Tarot detailing how your readings at the faire went (and which permutation of this spread you used). I'm sure such a thread would be very instructional for people here.

I'm quite surprised myself. But I haven't done a public venue since last March, so I thought I might give it another shot. I'm not a subscriber here anymore but if I go ahead with the event, I will post in Talking Tarot about it. I will probably use a permutation which has only one card instead of 6-7-8, and to save space, I will likely lay them out a bit differently.

Chiriku

I'm quite surprised myself. But I haven't done a public venue since last March, so I thought I might give it another shot. I'm not a subscriber here anymore but if I go ahead with the event, I will post in Talking Tarot about it. I will probably use a permutation which has only one card instead of 6-7-8, and to save space, I will likely lay them out a bit differently.

Yes, why not? It makes a change, even if you know going in that the life of a professional event-reader is not for you.

If I had a bunch of no-questions at such an event, I would use Elendil's 3-card permutation of this spread plus,l as position #4, "A Gift For You" for the shorter readings in quick succession (e.g. 10-15 minutes) at the lower rate and then charge more for a longer reading with the version you are talking about (i.e. with all of the card positions but only one predictive card).

I am totally inattentive to matters of card layout. Card positions are what interest me, not the shapes of layouts. It's as well to me to lay out all the cards in a single row, so long as they have positional meanings assigned to them. But I understand that for more visually-inclined people, the shape of a layout does have significance.

catcomeback

Great information...this is just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Tigerangel

Great spread think this will come in very useful for me, was wondering if you think this spread could work using an Oracle deck as well as using tarot?

Chiriku

Great information...this is just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Thank you for letting me know this spread has been useful to you, catcomeback. I'm glad to know I've been able to help other readers with a problem I've long struggled with (the resolutely "questionless" querent).

Great spread think this will come in very useful for me, was wondering if you think this spread could work using an Oracle deck as well as using tarot?

Hi Tigerangel, thanks for your interest in the spread and for asking this good question.

Yes, I do think this spread works equally as well with non-tarot cards as with tarot, and that's because the questions are not dependent on the things that characterize many of the popular branches of tarot (e.g. archetypes, e.g. elements, e.g. Kabbalah, e.g. court cards, etc.). If I were doing a spread related to the four elements, or the Tree of Life, or archetypal personalities/roles like the The Mother, etc., then I would personally prefer to use a tarot deck.

And even then, that's just my personal preference. An imaginative and intelligent reader can use any type of card with any spread to good effect.

However, I offer one caveat: although oracle cards (and playing cards, for that matter) in general are perfectly suitable for the spread, certain minorities within the oracle world might not be the best choice. I'm thinking of Lenormand-style cards, for example. I've only briefly dipped my toe in that world but from what I understand, Lenormand-style cards are most effectively read with one of the old-style techniques that developed in Europe; they don't tend to lend themselves to modern tarot spreads in the way that many of the general oracle cards out there do so well.

I'd love to hear what oracle you choose for this spread and if you happen to want to post the reading somewhere on Aeclectic, perhaps you could share the link here.

Cheers.

C