Others touching my cards

Luminessence

If I'm doing a face-to-face reading for somebody, I prefer to have the person I'm reading for shuffle the cards. I feel like the reading is more attuned to their energy that way. But I guess it doesn't really matter. I don't have a problem doing online readings, after all, and in those readings I'm the only one who handles the cards. So it probably doesn't really make a difference. Having the querent shuffle the cards has just always felt more natural to me.

Kit

I shuffle, they shuffle, they cut three times, the deck is reformed. The end

dolphingirl

When I do readings in person or if someone wants to see my tarot cards I will let them look through them but when it comes to shuffling I do that myself. That way if something happens to a deck (a card gets bent or damaged) then I don't have anyone to blaim but myself. Also some of the tarot decks out there are just a pain in the rump to shuffle even for an experienced person (large cards, thicker decks etc...) :)

Vadella

kayne said:
When I was first learning I read somewhere that no one should touch your cards... and I took this as gospil...

I read that also. It made me run out and buy a new deck. Currently, I haven't allowed anyone to touch my new deck. I'm neither for or against it.

bladeraven

I would be in so much trouble then...LOL..my 2 year old plays with my cards and when I have done readings, would grab a card and add to my reading and funny thing..I found that when he does that..it actually pulls the reading together a lot...I guess I have a budding Tarot reader in the family...so when he does play with my cards during a reading..I wait and see if he will "add a card"

gollog

I don't read for strangers, so I have i don't have to decide on whether or not to let them touch my cards. I do let my friends and family handle them if they want to. I even lend out two of my decks to friends who wanted to give the cards a try. I feel them having borrowed the cards for a while, having them in their home and showing interest in them adds some special vibe, in a positive way, to the cards.

Junia

This is in an interesting idea for a thread!

I don't like people to shuffle the deck, like they are getting ready to play poker, because of damage. But, then, I was taught with my first deck to "wash" the cards. Which is, just to put them in a big pile face down and have the querent move them (with their non-dominant hand) around until they find a card that feels right. (I did see that someone else mentions cards in a "big pile" a little back in this thread.) I also think that cutting the deck as many times as they feel that they need to works. I know of one reader here in town who keeps several decks. One for those she reads on behalf of and other decks are just for her own readings.

Sorceress_Jade

Well, i was shocked to see this thread fresh & being posted in. I started it what 3 years ago?

I've come a long way in that time, but what I first posted still holds true for me.

I still do not give the deck to others whilst reading for them. However, when not in the process of a reading, I will allow most of my decks to be handled, at least minimally.

I am considering choosing a deck to sacrifice to experimentation however, & having querrents shuffle that one. When I've had personal readings done for me, the reader always has me shuffle or cut or something where I handle the deck. I can't for the life of me figure out where I got the idea that the deck shouldn't be touched by anyone but I during the reading, it just feels wrong to me.

As an addendum, I just got the Tarot of Casanova and I think that would be the ideal deck to allow others to fondle. It would be the most likely to appreciate it, eh? :D

wellspring

I too couldn't have anyone touch the one deck I own and use. It's a very personal thing, as this deck is for healing, journeying, meditation, and is incredibly precious to me. Just know that it would be wrong for anyone else to handle the cards. It'd feel almost as if someone was sat in a private counselling session listening in to all private feelings and thoughts. And I do feel other energies would affect the cards, as my own do. Realise can do cleansing, but with being too open to everything/picking up on everything, am having to learn to really ground and protect, so it would be an extra worry and more energy used if was worrying about and cleansing cards too! Plus not great health just now, so learning, among other things, a lot of lessons about energy and how important it is to keep it clean, and how strongly this affects intuition/channel/ability to function and 'see' clearly. Feel that e.g. shamanic or ritual sacred objects are kept as that, and regard cards the same.

Not ready just yet to do readings exchange, but feel confident about doing that when the time's right, and don't feel that not having the person here and handling cards would negatively affect a reading. So am looking forward to when the time's right! As and when any face-to-face readings happen with the deck, I'd shuffle them anyway, as they're large (Druidcraft) and wouldn't want to risk any damage to them. Can fully understand other posts that say about we're all connected anyway, can cleanse deck afterwards, or that cards are just bits of card, but I'd kind of see that as meaning there's no need still for anyone to touch cards, as can tune in beyond physical objects to the connectedness.

Feel everything gets infused with a sense of place and energy, and e.g. a badly haunted house doesn't help it's occupants with their clarity or functioning or progress, so I'd rather keep deck clean and let intuition and insights have a clean channel, and give best reading possible, without worrying about any other energies affecting cards.

Cat

Junia

Sorceress_Jade said:
Well, i was shocked to see this thread fresh & being posted in. I started it what 3 years ago?

Just goes to show you that a good thread never dies! It is always relevant. Not to mention, that it is really interesting to see how your own perspective has changed in that few years.