The Star - feelings

.traveller.

That was what I was leaning towards in the beginning, a kind of yearning hope that love can heal the world's ills.

However, I can see how the cat comparison could apply in certain cases.

Sophie

I think it goes beyond hope - it is the actual power of love to heal and regenerate. Of course - it also means hope (and maybe cats :D) - although myself, I would say birds rather than cats. (You want to keep cats away from that card, it would eat that little bird!)

Thirteen

.traveller. said:
However, I can see how the cat comparison could apply in certain cases.
:D Glad you liked that. I happen to have one of the exclusive kitties myself. If a stranger tries to pick her up she will hiss! No one gets to pet her, brush her, or is even worthy of her attention but us, her owners. To us, she is sweet as sweet can be, loving, friendly, purringly warm. To everyone else, she is a mean little cat.

The neighbor's cat, on the other hand, loves everyone. She'll come running up to any stranger who holds out their hand, rub up against them, flop and roll on her back, purr and give them affection as if they were the most wonderful person in the world. If that person leaves and someone new shows up, she will show that newbie the same, unbridled affection. She just loves everybody.

berrieh

I can see the "open to everyone" aspect, but I also think The Star can represent a totally open and healing love or friendship that is directed at someone specifically. A lot of times when it's a feelings or thoughts question, I read it as the person seeing someone as their savior almost---as their salvation. But they don't see the person for who they truly are; they see the love, the sharing, the healing, which is lovely, but it's not about each other.

Incidentally, I get it a lot in rebound situations, where couples really do have a shared respect and admiration for each other (not like a rebound where the rebound-er was angry or took the other for granted) but at the same time, it's not meant to be sustained.

.traveller.

I tend to agree with you, and much of the nuance has to come from the phrasing of the question and the surrounding cards, if any.
How does John feel for Mary currently? and What are John's feelings about a relationship with Mary? would bring to life very different aspects of the Star.

At least, this is my current train of thought thanks to this thread. I feel I have a better all around view of this card now. :)