"They're just ROCKS!!!" (long)

HighPriestesss

My older sister has always been into gemstones, crystals, etc. since she was about 9 years old. So now over 50, you would think she is a Master on the subject. She wears a clear quartz necklace at times, and has a humongous clear quartz (size of a football) on a table, along with smaller pieces of various types and sizes. A stack of books is available on her bookshelf. You get the idea. She is also religious, and Adamantly Against the tarot, or anything metaphysical. The topic is taboo when she is around.

Over the summer, I stumbled on Lapis and learned it was good for intuition among other things. I emailed her, knowing she has direct access to buying it wholesale, to say if she ever found some reasonable, to buy it for me and I'd pay her back. She never asked why I wanted that and I never told.

So for Christmas, what did she give me? A beautiful piece of Lapis with a necklace thingy attached (she makes jewelry too). She said the piece was pricey and hoped I liked it (I do!!). But then she asked the ultimate question: "Why did you want that particular stone?"

Oh geez...the fuse has been lit...

"It helps with my intuition."

Feeling braver and a tad defensive, I added, "I charge all my stones on a windowsill over a 3-day full moon, and then program them...they are very powerful! Do you know how much POWER you have right here in your kitchen and in that huge quartz??"

"They're just rocks."

This argument went on and my defensiveness grew. As I told her it was all Christian-based and to help people, she dug her heels in more. I added that I pray everyday and talk to God. It didn't help. "They're just ROCKS. They don't have any powers and in the Bible, God says......blah, blah, blah...."

Tears welled-up in my eyes and the family halted the discussion before I got more upset. Alcohol did play a role in my emotions, but it was my pure soul speaking.

I went through every book she brought to me, and honestly, out of about 6 large books, ONLY ONE mentioned the "mystery" of the metaphysical world in it.

I just wanted to share that story...while I look for a gold chain... :D

Sinduction

I'm so sorry my dear! How awful for you.

But you know what, some people hold on so tight to their beliefs out of fear and that's ok. You know the power of stones and they show you because you believe. I think your sister also knows, why else would she have so many, but is too afraid to let go of her belief structure. I bet a part of her is jealous too. Maybe someday she will come to you wanting to know more. I hope she does.

Personally, I think everything in the world has some power. God made those "rocks" too!

firemaiden

OH dear, I'm afraid I could have easily have responded just like your sister. They are very pretty rocks though.

Sinduction, you brought up belief --Is belief necessary? Or do they actually work?

Starshower

Crystals throughout the Bible & early / medieval Christianity!

There are lots of references to special & specific crystals throughout the Bible. What about the famous Breastplate of the great patriarch Moses?
The oracular Urim & Thummim?
The details given by 'God' for the use & placement of various gemstones in the Temple?
The stones over the gates representing the '12 tribes of Israel' in Revelations?
I have a couple of well-researched books on all this - fascinating!

The Church, for many centuries (up until the birth of 'modern medicine' based on drugs / hygiene / surgery) sanctioned & used crystals for healing, and also as talismans & amulets.
Often, in Europe, stones were placed on the altar during 3 Masses, & had the Bible passed over them, to bless & empower them, before being taken out of the church & used for healing and protection by the mainstream Christian priests, monks & laity.

There is lots of solid historical evidence for this.

Recently, I went to a talk by Judy Hall (author of 'The Crystal Bible' - not a scientific book by any means, & full of errors, subjective opinion & hearsay - but fun & useful for easy identification from the photos for reference).
Judy is a lovely, warm, funny lady, currently studying for a PhD in crystals & astrology in the ancient middle-eastern, 'Biblical' world.
She told us fascinating tales aplenty & showed slides w many examples of sacred gems used in antiquity - from ancient Egypt to Biblical times.

You could find a book about it to put your sister's mind at rest and calm her fears.
Surely Good Intent & appreciation of the natural world cannot 'spook' her, unless she is v superstitious? Good luck, & Happy New Year! :)

Nevada

HighPriestess, I'm sorry that argument happened and upset you so much. I'm a bit on the fence myself about crystals. I do think they can have a lot of stored energy, power if you will. But I also don't use them as much these days, mostly because I don't think we can know enough about them. I'm sometimes of the mind they should just be left in the ground where they occur naturally. But I do keep some around for certain uses that I know I can rely on them to help with.

I have been certain that they store energy ever since an uncomfortable experience I had once near a big quartz crystal someone had on display who was selling rocks. My husband and I were both interested in the gemstones the guy had, and started looking through them, but I began to realize I suddenly felt awful, even had mild heart palpitations. I didn't realize at first why I felt so nervous and fidgety, almost shaky, near the guy's stand, when I'd felt fine just a moment earlier. Then I saw that he had this huge crystal on a low shelf inside his stall, not easily visible from outside. Once I spotted it there, I tried walking away, then moving closer again, and I realized it was the crystal that was affecting me. I told my husband I had to get away from there. Once I did, I felt fine within a few minutes.

When my mother was dying, I had some Apache tears that practically flew off my altar table as I passed, one day. If I recall correctly, one sort of shattered, and another broke into two almost equal halves. At first I was just upset my rocks had broken. But then I realized how much grief I was already feeling and holding tightly inside. It took those Apache tears breaking to make me conscious of my grief.

The other day I read that geologists now think the Earth's minerals have increased in diversity just since the time other life forms evolved on the planet -- that rocks have evolved, in other words, right along with plant and animal life. That really makes one wonder.

Without those experiences described above, I would probably still think they're just rocks. So maybe I can see both sides a little.

Your sister has her beliefs, you have yours. Sometimes when family believes differently than we do, we just have to love them and leave it at that. It's not worth the heartache to argue about them. They have to learn or realize things at their own pace, as we have to at ours. At least you can share in the beauty of the stones, as a special part of creation, if not in what you think they can do for you.

It's possible that the fact that she asked why you wanted the stone is a clue to her inner feelings and promptings, though, some inkling of curiosity. Even though the discussion went sour, it's possible she carried something away from it that she'll decide to explore later on her own. You never know. But that's up to her, isn't it?

Milfoil

Do we need to convince anyone else of our reasons? If your sister doesn't feel, or acknowledge the power from these 'rocks' thats her belief.

From my own personal experience when we are in a place of balance and are secure in our own beliefs, we don't need to force anyone else to that viewpoint, we can accept that people differ and avoid a confrontation or offer some information or proof if they wish to know more.

In this case, what harm is done by allowing both sides their opinions? What harm is done, however, by confrontation? Neither side will be forced into changing their mind.

HP your sister gave you a beautiful gift, probably sort of already knowing what you feel it means to you, do you need her validation? Regardless of whether your sister is upset, why does it upset you?

I had a BIG issue with this a few months back with another AT member here and it really was an amazing lesson for me to find out what was at the bottom of MY problem!

I'm sorry if this sounds preachy, I don't mean to but it was such a profound lesson for me I guess I feel that you are being offered a similar window.

HighPriestesss

No, it wasn't really an "upsetting" moment vs. passionate. As much as she can be passionate about her religious beliefs, I can be regarding my metaphysical interests. And that's okay. It's just that we've never gone at it, head to head before. It's just been a known fact within the family that she looks down upon it (and as the younger sibling, I'm supposed to align accordingly, which I don't?).

It's like, when my parents speak, they'll say "well don't tell (sis) about it!" but do they tell her "don't tell (me) about it!". We all have had to tiptoe around big sis...until last week.

I was trying to enlighten her to the fact that, I, too, look at it from a spiritual and religious side, and that there's nothing evil about it.

tarotlyn

:heart:HighPriestesss...this is SO MUCH MORE than just rocks, beliefs, or religion!:eek:

I feel that there are some "deep seated" feelings between you and that you
are tired of being the "little sister" that always has to tow the mark and look
up to the older one (just because she is older... and wiser?:bugeyed: )

...rocks are only touching the surface here...

please don't take that offensively...

:):heart:Lyn

Nevada

I see. Well there's nothing wrong with voicing your own passions too.

HearthCricket

My husband says the same thing and that is fine with me. It never blows into an arguement or one side trying to convince the other what they believe is the "right" thing. I have been in a similar situation where belief systems were being forced on me in a gentle and persuasive manner, until I dug in my own heels. Now I am considered by a group of people that I am a "non-believer" simply because I won't accept everything they say or believe in. They won't allow me to walk my own path. So I have let them go.

I used to think rocks were just rocks. Pretty, lovely to touch and hold. Then I wondered why I liked to hold them so much, what their history was, how long did it take for them to be created, how much older than I were they, what have they seen? I feel the same way about trees and sand and even clouds. What did that cloud see before it evaporated? But as time went on the crystals and stones became little healing souls of energy to me. Little friends keeping me company and helping me along my path. Now no where in Christianity is there the belief that rocks have souls. They don't believe animals do, either. But I disagree. And find it amusing that more and more rosary beads are being made out of various kinds of stones, like prayer beads of other faiths (malas) not because it is pretty, but because they have a special meaning. Sometimes I think the old beliefs are sneaking back into the new ones! I firmly believe that everything has life in it. A spirit of sorts. But no matter how eloquently I may be able to put it, it won't change someone elses mind. They need to discover this treasure on their own!