Book of Law Study Group 1.44

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
The HGA is the shopper. You are the trolley. :laugh:

hence the saying 'off his trolley"? :laugh:

I'm also thinking of this (flashbacks) I used to be a long distance cross-country runner and when one goes past the point when one cant go any more (second or third 'wind') and one pushes through that (by sheer will) it gets all spacey and out of it, I'd be running jumping over gulleys and rocks etc but it would be like a movie ... in the zone, one used to call it. in that state there is the pure exhillaration and joy of running, it has become something else, it just .... is. And any thought of the result was not there, totally in the moment.

And I'd notice that once I saw the finish line, I'd realise all of a sudden how exhausted I was and then the hardest part of the race would come, finishing in exhaustion, out of the zone with ..... lust of result, I guess.

Always Wondering

I ran what was used to be called the Four-Forty, or the Man Killer. }) Boy can I relate.

:lightbulb It is like Paul Foster Case's unfolding rather than attainment.

Yep, Cardlady, I was climbing hard and fast out of those ashes. ;)

AW

RLG

Dwtw

The peculiar phrasing makes more than one interpretation possible. But it seems obvious that the 'pure will' that is described here has to have some intention behind it. It is 'unassuaged of purpose', which one could translate as 'unmitigated of purpose', i.e., it's purpose is not lessened or weakened by anything.

If a will is not purposeful, than what is it? If we say someone is strong-willed, we are saying that they have a definite agenda that they are sticking to no matter what.
But then follows the phrase 'delivered from the lust of result', which AC assumed meant that such a will can not be concerned about the outcome. I don't believe that this can be entirely true, because a will has to have an intention. But if only the outcome is lusted after, then the will misses all the steps along the journey, which are just as much a part of the process as the end result.

The key phrase here is 'delivered from'. We normally take this to mean, 'relieved of', as in 'deliver us from evil', but it might be taken to mean 'brought to you by'. In which case, the pure will is made manifest, or brought to you, by the lust of result, the intense desire to have an outcome.

It seems that if we deny any purpose to the will, then we cause it to lose all meaning. And we must also keep in mind that the whole of the law is 'do what thou wilt'. There is activity involved in this. Will is something that can be 'done'. And all acts have some purpose behind them, however vague or misleading or mistaken it may be. This verse says to me that what makes the will pure is knowing exactly what the intention is, and following that through to the end.

Litlluw
RLG