Trimming The Thoth - finally going to do it!

Alamaris

When I first heard of the idea of trimming decks, I was appalled and disturbed. My reaction was something along the lines of "...you did WHAT...to WHAT?" followed by abject horror.

But...earlier in the week I'd finally had enough of my immense Tarot of Eden cutting into my tiny hands when I shuffled, spilling the blasted things all over the room and under the couch. I hacked at the deck with a pair of sharp sewing scissors, cutting the corners by hand. After it was done, I was astonished at the difference and how much the artwork popped... not to mention how easy it was to handle.

Being a recent Thoth convert, I'd heard all about the idea of trimming a large Thoth, but rejected the idea for quite some time because, as my reasoning went, I already had a regular sized Thoth. Finally, today, I broke down and bought a large greenie. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it wasn't a "greenie", but rather a gorgeously clear large deck in the green box, with no green tint. The shop owner told me it was part of a new shipment that had fixed the problem.

And so, with some trepidation and a wee bit of discomfort about the two hours of meticulous trimming ahead of me, I shall embark on the mission. Whether I become more attached to the trimmed deck or not is a good question -- so is whether I try to round the corners manually or splurge on a corner rounder, and whether I'm going to use the additional card in the deck. I've never actually used the Thoth before (only bought the regular size three weeks ago and was too intimidated to pick it up until I knew a little more) so I'm excited about it.

Wish me luck and steady hands! ;)

Grigori

You'll love it Alamaris! The Thoth is stunning when trimmed, and seeing the card side by side in a spread brings a whole new dimension that the borders obscure.

Happy trimming!

BodhiSeed

I've bought the Thoth on several occasions, only to give it away because I couldn't connect with it. This last time, however, I trimmed the borders away and was stunned to find how much I loved this deck and WANTED to read with it. I highly recommend a corner rounder if you can find one; I got one at an office supply store for $5; I'm pretty sure there are some scrapbookers on ebay who sell them also. Have fun!

Bodhran

All Is One

Oh god, Alamaris... you are really a brave one! I am sort of fixated on the trimming thing. I think
about it alot but really really know I'll ruin a deck.

I wish you great success in your endeavor. May your scissors be guided straight and true!

Hope that you like the results. I really admire you for taking the plunge.

And how wonderful it is when we finally fall in love with the Thoth. I remember I had quite a honeymoon with the Thoth.