Six of cups?

TeaRose

I asked the tarot if moving out is a good decision for the future...(I am especially concerned because my parents, obviously, are not too keen on it at all...which makes me more hesitant)...and I got six of cups.
What would this card be trying to tell me in regards to this question?? Thank you :)

tommyross

I would definately interpret it as a green light to go ahead with the move as "PLEASURE" which is in fact the name of this card is awaiting you.

You might not have drawn a better card as the scene of a structured home environment with the older sibling presenting a cup to the younger sibling illustrates the emotional harmony and perfection that can only come from this number (6) of completion in the element of water (cups.) I say structured because we have quite a few subtle hints at 4, the number of the cube and a number of structure (four cups in foreground, four shuttered windows, 5th cup sitting on square, etc)

The astrological correspondence for this card is the sun in Scorpio- imaginative, passionate, intense, a sign of inheritance and legacies, with a sense of purpose and destiny. Also a sign of regenerative forces (comes from ruling planet Pluto) as it's Major Arcana card is Death, somethings dying so something new can be born, in your case it sounds like a new residence.

Good luck!

Thirteen

Leaving "Known" Pleasures

I asked the tarot if moving out is a good decision for the future...(I am especially concerned because my parents, obviously, are not too keen on it at all...which makes me more hesitant)...and I got six of cups.
What would this card be trying to tell me in regards to this question?? Thank you :)
Whenever you ask the tarot a yes/no question you run into a problem. For the most part, Tarot isn't good at yes/no questions. The answers are often, "Yes if you take this and that into consideration, but no if you think about this or that...." Which is to say, tarot doesn't make decisions for you. It only offers you insights that you may not know so that you can make the decision.

In this instance, the cards gave you the 6/Cups. As said, this is a card about "pleasure' BUT--and this is a very, very important "but"--it's about known pleasures. This is why it's linked with nostalgia. Because it's about pleasures you are familiar with, ones you can rely on. Like knowing that coffee from a certain place that you've been going to for years will be delicious--as compared to that new place which you haven't tried and have no idea how the coffee will be.

What the cards are telling you isn't "yes," the decision is right or "no" it's wrong, but rather the cards are offering you a question and a challenge: Are you ready to give up your comfortable, known pleasures? Are you willing to be homesick? Are you willing to grow up and give up what you know for a new and different and adult life? If you are, then it's the right decision. If you're not, then it's not the right decision.

Which is to say, I don't agree with Tommyross at all. The cards aren't telling you that this is going to be a pleasurable decision--not even that it's going to be sweet, nice or passing the cup. They're telling you that we all have to grow up and give up some of what we know and are comfortable with if we want to move on with our lives. We have to say good-by to parents, friends, and that coffee we love. Are you ready to do that?

You have to face this and say, "Yes, I'm ready" before it is the right decision.

WalesWoman

6 Cups as an answer to whether you should move out or not ... you will have to follow your intuition and figure out what you really want to do on this one I think. Since 6 is a number of balance and harmony, it's also a jumping off place, you can't stay in a 6 situation forever and still progress on your journey.

1. It could indicate that time in your life when you put childish things behind you, part of your childhood put in the past tense, so that could mean ... time to move out and move onward into your adulthood.

2. It could indicate the reciprocity of living at home, where it's all safe, secure, comfy and keeps you as a child, living as a child and represents the sentimentality of HOME and family.

3. It could mean moving out and looking back at your time living at home as the "good ol' days", when things were simpler and you didn't really have to be responsible for much of anything.

LOL... I just re-read Thirteens reply and realized she said pretty much the same thing. You are on the cusp of the decision and have to decide if you are willing and ready to take the risk of losing all that security and comforts in order to live in adult situations as an adult.

And who knows, it could also mean :
Since it is a 6 and a balance, your parents may be just as ready for this change, even if they have a hard time "losing" their child, growing up and trying out their new wings. To me I see this as a little bit of going back and forth on the see saw of emotions, weighing one against the other... the fear of the unknown and what is familiar. When that all balances, then you will know which thing to do.

MeeWah

TeaRose: Your question constitutes a Yes/No query, which tends to result in the ambiguous. A better question may be "What do I need to know about moving out (from parents'/whatever)".

That said--6-Cups the emotional, Water aspect of 6-The Lovers. Thus, fraught with the emotional connotations. & references the decision-making process that requires the acceptance of responsibility for those decisions.

It suggests being prepared & even willling to give up the creature comforts that has accompanied the life thus far.

Bespeaks of separating from the ties that bind; the figurative to literal umbilical cord.

It also implies the potential to need assistance or a giving hand from the older familial members. Such as by way of the worldly goods (home furnishings) & need not exclude the financial.

tarotbear

Which figure are you?

In the Six of Cups a slightly older child hands a cup to a slightly younger child. My first question to you is :did you see yourself as the older, or the younger child?

Since the card must have been rightside up it says you want to set out on your own but the knowledge of what you know and the 'known' (the younger child) has made you pause, even as you are ready to cross that bridge or whatever your deck has in the background.

If the card was reversed, or if you saw yourself as the younger child, I would say you want to make that crossing but now might not be the best time.

Did you pull any other cards? What did they say?

tarotbear

double outcome question

You can also try a 'U' shaped spread where you ask for insight into two outcomes, such as "Can I have some insight into what may happen is I stay home, and what may happen if I leave home?" The first question is up one side and the second question is up the other side:

layout in this order:
5 --- 6
3 --- 4
- 1 2

Read 1,3,5 as first question; read 2,4,6 as second question.

Hope this helps~!

SunChariot

The word "good" is such a subjective term, what is good for one person might not be for another. Also most situatiions are not completeely all one thing or another. It is likely that most decisions we make may have some elements we like more and some we like less. Few things in life are black and white.

My thought is it might be easily to ask "What will happen if I move out?" instead AND then if you like "What will happen if I don't move out?" Then you can compare the two answers and pick the one that is most to your liking.

I don't mean this as any kind of criticism of your question. Just, as others have said, yes/no questons are hard....AND what exactly IS "good"? If you will have 50% positive things and 50% negative things, how could the cards answer that question. I think it's easier to just have them tell you what will happen and they you get to decide for youreslf if it si s a good decision.

As for the 6 of Cups, it would not make a lot of sense there in the way I read, but of coures it was not my reading. 6 of Cups to me means loving feelings.

Babs

Jai1216

I see the 6 of cups as telling you to stay under the confines of your parents. 6C to me is a very comfy "kids" card...staying in an environment where things are afforded to you as opposed to getting out their on your own (9P, or maybe Queens and Kings).

I know this thread is old. But I stumbled upon it somehow. I am actually probably one of few people who does ask yes/no questions. But NOT in the sense that tarot will literally say "yes" or "no."

For example, "Will I move this year?" Either I will see move cards or I won't.

There is still freewill but I have found that my cards (backed up by my Guides) will just indicate what's in my highest interest.

headincloud

6C often represents a heart to heart open talk with your parents, that may be the advice.