Charles VI. from 1463 with 16 trumps

kwaw

Huck said:
Now, with the evidence of the Charles VI deck (with some thanks to Marco, who gave here a deciding impulse with his remark about the halos - at least to me; Michael may have read this all already by Shephard), we've too old decks with this feature and they help each other in the fact, that Prudentia was there from beginning and had only "hiding forms".

I am surprised the connection between the polyganol halo and virtues is new to you, it has been mentioned before in threads to which you have contributed, for example:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=24836

There is perhaps some secondary confirmation that the World card was associated with Sapienta at least among the members of the Ferrarese court in the tarocchi appropriati listing for the ladies of the Ferrarese court of Isabelle d'Este where we have Sapienta associated with Il Mondo:

Il Mondo
La S. Violante Trotta. - Il tutto reggerà per sua sapienza

Huck

kwaw said:
I am surprised the connection between the polyganol halo and virtues is new to you, it has been mentioned before in threads to which you have contributed, for example:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=24836

There is perhaps some secondary confirmation that the World card was associated with Sapienta at least among the members of the Ferrarese court in the tarocchi appropriati listing for the ladies of the Ferrarese court of Isabelle d'Este where we have Sapienta associated with Il Mondo:

Il Mondo
La S. Violante Trotta. - Il tutto reggerà per sua sapienza

Hi Kwaw,

Yes, I've noted the thread, but I didn't refer to the "halo" ... :) ... you know, I'm a lazy German and when reading foreign languages I often meet foreign words (Italian, French, Latin, even English) and then I add from imagination, what I think, what's there from the general context in favor of quick reading. Rarely I spend my time of using a wordbook ... so "halo" was something like the daily dust from the universe. We have no similar reference word for this in my language ... but "Glorienschein", "Heiligenschein", how should I find from my imagination references, that this repectless "halo", such a short word, has any relationship to something, for which we need so many letters in our language ... :)
yes, I know, that's not a 100 % error-free methode ...

No, I refered in this thread to the existence of Prudentia in the considerations of others as interpretations for the figure world (I didn't decipher by own view the 4 deciding halos on the cards of Charles VI by this, but this came to me with Marco's note).

Thanks for the additional reference.

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Michael, Huck,

If the images don’t convince you of the iconographic identification of the figure, I doubt my arguments will be able to.

The following three figures represent the same subject, a "Triumph of Fame" -

famedetail1.jpg

famedetail2.jpg

famedetail3.jpg

The come from the same place, and were painted within 11 years (or less) of one another - 1449-1460. They all show a subject with the same title, but each is slightly (or even very) different. The first is a stand alone Triumph, not part of a cycle of Petrarch's Trionfi; the second and third are illustrations of the Trionfi. The second one, by Francesco Pesellino, apparently owes some of its features to the description of the figure by Boccaccio in Amorosa Visione, chap. VI (the golden apple, two captives, and World behind her, for instance). But the sword Boccaccio describes is missing.

The other two have a sword and a cupid (or at least, a red archer). Of course, the most outstandingly different feature of the first Fama is that she has wings and stands upon a globe, with the world depicted all around her. All are adequate interpretations of the theme, although different, and we don’t need to guess what the theme is – it is explicit.

Comparing the Rosenwald world card with the Lo Scheggia’s Fama,

famedetail1.jpg

worldfame.jpg

We see a strikingly similar figure (of course in the Rosenwald the halo is *round*, different from the Virtues on the same sheet. Given the differences among explicit and exactly contemporary Fama images, arguing that the shape of the halo changes the essential meaning of the figure seems arbitrary). My point is that Fame IS “Gloria Mundi”, and Gloria Mundi is the World. That is, Gloria Mundi is the meaning of the card in the early A sequences – it is the highest possible Fame, transcending death and going to the height of heaven, but it is vanquished by the “Last Trump” of the Angel, announcing Eternity.

Understanding the figure on the various early cards of the southern type as Gloria Mundi explains both the traditional title of the card, its meaning in the sequence, why it might be appropriate in a series of images known as “trionfi”, and most importantly, the visual aspect – the iconology – of the image itself.

mjhurst said:
In fact, despite all our rummaging around in the obscure world of polygonal halos, essentially NOTHING has changed. We had the facts right from the beginning, as they apply to Tarot, despite having learned a great deal about things other than Tarot.

I’ve also concluded that that shape of the halo is irrelevant, although its presence is a clue to its provenance and date.

This is a Tarot deck, not Petrarch's Triumphs, and the World card is NOT the only figure in this work with such a halo. Your argument fails twice.

The first is a strawman. I never argued the tarot “is” Petrarch’s Triumphs (in fact I explicitly rejected that proposal here just recently) – nor Boccaccio’s Amorosa Visione, nor a Children of the Planets, nor anything but a game of cards with a series of trumps that tell their own story, and that story had to be recognizable to people who played with them in order to know the hierarchy correctly.

But that the imagery on the cards is informed by – borrowed – from other contemporary imagery, it seems unnecessary to mention. The Bagatto does in fact seem to be borrowed from the Children of the Planets, and the World (and Love, the Old Man, and Death) does seem to borrow from images of Petrarch’s Triumphs.

For the second point, I don’t think the halo, either its presence or shape, is enough to overturn the conventional depiction of the subject.

Both Prudence and Fama usually have other attributes, which are not shown in the Charles VI World card. This depiction is going to be unique in one way or another, so some additional argument must be developed; an argument pertaining to this deck.

The image has enough attributes of Fama in the range of contemporary depictions and descriptions to be confidently identified with her. She has not a single attribute of Prudence (neither a mirror, nor a snake, nor two faces). A halo alone can’t identify a figure as a Virtue, when everything else says something else.

Instead of comparing it just to Petrarch's Triumphs,
Did you see Weisbach’s reference to Boccaccio? And the passage in question? This informs the visual aspect of the image more than Petrarch’s poem.

we can compare it to other Tarot decks. We have decks in which both the virtues and Fama appear, and the virtues are given the polygonal halo.

Maybe you haven’t expressed yourself clearly here, but I don’t know of any decks where the virtues have polygonal haloes and Fama (explicitly so called) also appear. The only other deck I know with polygonal haloes is the Rosenwald, and there is no Fama in there, unless you are implicitly admitting my thesis.

In any case, we are on the same page with regards to the iconological significance of the polygonal halo – nadda. All it has taught me (and it has been the most valuable insight) is that other types of triumphs from the same time and place used it for the personifications of Fama, aka Gloria Mundi.

Does Fama wear the polygonal halo in those decks? Does Fama replace the World in those decks?

I’m not sure the decks I think you are thinking of have much relevance to the mid-15th century ones we are considering.

Do you have any example of any work ever where Fama is shown with a polygonal halo alongside virtues with the same attribute?

Do you have any examples of Prudence even vaguely similar this to card? Do you really think the shape of a halo is enough to overturn the commonsense interpretation of all of the other features of the image?

Having a Fama at this point in a deck of Triumphs is not a difficult thing to explain in the narrative (my narrative of the trumps, of course). It is in fact a deck of “Triumphs”, and this is the highest possible Triumph, except for God (maybe better said - this is obviously the highest possible Triumph in the A sequence designer's mind, except for the Trumpet announcing the resurrection to Eternity).

It seems that Shephard has by far the best of this argument. (He makes a lot of lame arguments, so it's good to point out one where he got it right.) We need to first look to the work in question. In that work the three Moral Virtues are shown with a polygonal halo, and also given such an attribute is a woman with attributes of sovereignty on the World card. There is an obvious conclusion, based on the use of polygonal halos on virtues and on Fame in other decks and other works. The figure is certainly not Fame, and the figure is almost certainly Prudence.

I don’t think so. It was an ad hoc argument when he made it, and he wasn’t perfectly sure of it either. But I noticed that in her discussion of the various Mondo images in 1987, Claudi Cieri-Via already noted that the Charles VI Mondo reflects the conventional depictions of Fama and Gloria Mundi. Vitali picks up the theme too, but neither gives the illustrations to make the point. Also, no one yet suspected the Florentine origin of the cards, and all the similar depictions of the Triumphal figure of Fame are Florentine.

The most important thing, it seems to me, is that the figure of Fame, in this tradition at this time, has a WORLD.

In some early makers the figure gets minimized (Este), in other later ones, the World gets minimized or even obliterated (TdM) in favor of the figure (I'm not arguing meaning here, just appearance and descent; but it seems the original figure had to have a World on it to make any sense in the tradition).

Best regards,
Ross

Huck

Hi Ross,

I think your idea and your view on it and the comparition interesting. Actually this fama feature should be researched better.

Perhaps I should clarify my position.

Once Prudentia was "missing" in Tarot, and various suggestions were made, where she disappeared. Some suggested for instance, that the Popessa was Prudentia. Or the magician, or other cards.

Tarot cards are generally a process of development. ... :) The 5x14-theory allows generally much more development than the standard theory. It's obvious that Prudentia disappeared in the Tarot show and was replaced by other ideas (and these again by other ideas and so on), so a roughly cut Fama-Angel with halo in the Rosenwald Tarocchi doesn't change the world or this general pocess of creative mutation.

For the state of the Charles VI. deck I would assume, that it was still Prudentia (and understood as such by its producer) - if it was - according my suggestion - a chess deck as the reconstructed Cary-Yale, it must be compared with that, what we know about the Cary-Yale.

The Cary-Yale had likely all 7 virtues and Prudentia we unluckily can't see. But we see, that the 3 theological virtues had a unique style and we see, that the cardinal virtue Fortitudo doesn't look similar to the card, which was seen by Kaplan as "World" and by us as "Fama". In the reconstruction it is assumed, that this Fama is NOT Prudentia, but that both are independent units in the 16-trumps-game - as they were also taken in the much later Minchiate.

Cary-Yale: Fama + Prudentia / Fama as Judgment connected to the chess rooks inside the chess idea (both cards with towers)

Bembo-14: no Fama, no Prudentia, but Angel (Judgment)

Charles VI: Only Prudentia - Fama possibly merged with the angel of judgment and the idea "elephant=trumpets" and so still a rook inside the chess-idea together with the Tower card

Minchiate: Prudentia + Fama (or World) + Angel

later Tarot: Prudentia lost, Fama lost, World is present in usual Tarot

The process of the development of the Trionfi cards is necessarily complex. Many commissioners, many painters, many ideas. Once the production process was totally given to the publisher or printer, the decks became unique or standard.

Printers weren't interested to change their printing tools. Players also developed the opinion, that cards are good, when they were used to the deck. Then was standard reigning. But this was different in the handpainting phase.

Huck

Structure Charles VI 16 trumps + 1

The argument was given, that no early Trionfi deck is complete, why should then just the Charles VI. deck be complete.

A good part of the ca. 25 remaining German decks or deck fragments from 15th century is complete or nearly complete.

http://trionfi.com/0/p/25/

(Our informations are not necessarily perfect, but for instance the completeness of Hofämterspiel, Flemish hunting deck or the deck of master PW is without doubt, just to name a few)

The complete state of early decks can't be called unusual.

Nonetheless, the surviving situation of a complete set of trumps plus one court card is NOT usual. It's so unusual, that it perhaps tells the story, how this deck developed.

Well, trionfi card were expensive and had value. It might well be, that some
of the commissioners of trionfi decks had already very nice decks and wished to update their older set, so they actually only needed these additional cards, which were new invented.
Naturally the commissioned painter needed informations about the older deck, the size and a little bit about the style of the other deck and some info about the backs of the cards.

But possibly the commissioner feared for the state of the older deck and was not willing to leave it totally in the hands of the artist. So he did chose one card, which he thaught representative for the wished style, and gave this as an orientation to the painter.

The painter made his complete set, in this case 16 cards, and logically he had now 16 cards plus one court card, as we see them in the Charles VI deck.

Not all businesses of painters are finished ... perhaps occasionally the commmissioner died or had no money. So we have 17 cards with an unknown destiny, somehow in the possession of the painter.

Maybe true or untrue.

If we assume, that it's true, we might think, that these cards never found their way to the playing table, but was bought by a collector, who found it interesting enough to beware them.

Or, other possibility, trying the direct way to the later location: The cards were send to France (perhaps to the court of Louis XI., but might be also one of the Medici banker there or somebody else) in the exspectation, that buyers in France would add their own suit cards to them, to which they were used, or cards with their own heraldic. The 17th card was added to inform how the suits would look like, if they were Italian.

051.jpg

The shield is free, no heraldic: A buyer of the cards could fill his own heraldic.

Generally it's curious in the related Castle Ursino cards, that two of the cards (hermit and World-Prudentia) are nearly identical, but two others rather different, one to the extent, that it is not really recognizable as a Tarocchi card (but it's said, that it is Temperance, somehow recognizable when looked very near).

Ursinostag.jpg

One should recognize, that in this early phase of handpainted cards there were great freedom for the commissioner - if he disliked a specific motif, he simply could give the order to have there another.

There is space for a lot of personal variation.

There is no guarantee, that this complete Charles VI deck knew many other decks, which were totally similar. It might be a unique composition, made for just one commissioner ...

... .-) ... so the recognition, that these 16 cards are an adaption of the Visconti Cary-Yale-deck, must not necessarily mean very much to the total
development, it might have been a "single piece".

... :) ... a lot of possibilities

mjhurst

Hi, Ross,

That's a challenging post, in the context of the assorted observations of the last few days. While I'm not convinced by it, there is too much information for me to juggle without establishing some order first. As noted in response to Starling, it's easy to get lost in a thread that drills down deep into a very narrow and obscure topic. To dig myself out requires collecting and collating (organizing, analyzing, and simplifying for my own understanding) the salient information presented, and in this case, also making a library run to check out some things like Ladner. So... I'll have to get back to you later next week -- sorry.

Meanwhile, thanks for the reply -- you've made the question interesting.

Best regards,
Michael

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Michael,

mjhurst said:
That's a challenging post, in the context of the assorted observations of the last few days. While I'm not convinced by it, there is too much information for me to juggle without establishing some order first. As noted in response to Starling, it's easy to get lost in a thread that drills down deep into a very narrow and obscure topic. To dig myself out requires collecting and collating (organizing, analyzing, and simplifying for my own understanding) the salient information presented, and in this case, also making a library run to check out some things like Ladner. So... I'll have to get back to you later next week -- sorry.

Next week?! Damn... anyway, I look forward to learning what you find out. A trip to a good library is always a smart idea, since even a private person on the internet can't have JSTOR or a dozen other digitized journal collections. Gotta be connected to a real institution somehow.

In the meantime, I'd like to emphasize what you often say about the importance of context for determing the meaning of an image. For instance, in the three images of the Triumph of Fame I gave below (only the personification, not the whole picture), the context of the painting is the key to understanding why certain aspects of "generic" Fame were emphasized, while others were minimized or left out.

Lorenzo's birth tray (either the earliest of the three or the second earliest), was made before his "Fame" was established. It gives equal weight to Love in the left hand, and Arms in the right (cupid and sword - art/poetry/literature vs. political fame). Nobody could know how he would turn out, but they hoped for "Fame" in any field.

Pesellino's painting was made for a cassone, a large chest filled with stuff given on weddings. As the author in the Burlington Magazine article I quoted noted, the Triumph of Death on the first panel

http://www.gardnermuseum.org/collection/pesellino_p15e5.asp

is given barely any space, 1/6 of the panel. Love, the first triumph, occupies half of the space, and is the richest of all the Triumphs depicted - suitable for a wedding. Chastity, while a laudable virtue, occupies only 1/3 of the space, and is generally uninteresting. On the other side, Fame occupies half of the space, and is richly decorated; Time is lonely in 1/6 of the total space, while Eternity is the final 1/3 of the panel.

Pesellino emphasized what a couple might hope for in their wedding - Love and Fame, while utterly neglecting the bad stuff - Death and Time. Eternity is the hoped for reward, but far distant, while Chastity is given short shrift, and can be taken watered down as "Modesty".

In Pesellino's depiction of the Triumph of Fame on these panels in particular, while Weisbach noted the apparent dependency on Boccaccio, the author quoting him doesn't mention if he said anything about the missing sword in Fame's hand. But whether or not Weisbach mentioned it, the *context* of the Cassone - a marriage gift - could explain it. The emphasis is on Love (the golden apple in the left hand), not on war (which would have been a sword on the right). Nobody wants strife in a marriage.

The tarot triumphs are obviously not Petrarch's triumphs, the most obvious reason being that the only figure that could be understood as Time (the Hermit or Old Man) comes before Death as well as the only figure that could be understood as Fama. This is two times wrong for any depiction of Petrarch's Triumphs, which follow the order Love-Chastity-Death-Fame-Time-Eternity. The Old Man *can't* be Petrarch's Time, in any sense.

Nevertheless, the painted tarot images obviously borrow from or reflect contemporary images in other contexts, like illustrations of Petrarch's Trionfi.

If we understand the Charles VI, Catania, and even the Cary-Yale "World" (suggested by Shephard - the first todo so?) as Fame or Gloria Mundi, we can understand that the artist was constrained by the context. The medium - a small card, not a full-page illustration, the side of a chest, or a large decorative "birth tray". The artist took a schematic approach, focussing on the essential detail - the personification - rather than try to cram in the whole description of the Triumph. This suggests that the audience (players, commissioners) would have some familiarity with this figure from other sources. Since the cards are luxury productions, it is unnecessary to add that this audience was literate, and familiar with depictions of the Triumphs.

Besides the medium (physical) there is also the genre - card game. The images had to be clear and distinct. The hierarchy of the images also had to be clear and distinct, since it seems that trumps didn't get numbers written on them for decades until after they were invented.

What started me on these musings was your comment on the "Which imagery for the Trumps?" thread
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=90352
noting that the two of Costa's Triumphs are obviously "Petrarchan" in a derivative or dependent sense, but perfectly constrained by context - a church.

Just as Costa's imagery, derived ultimately from Triumph of Death and Fame paintings and Petrarch's secular poem, and just as Lorenzo's birth tray was outside of any serial context but immediately recognizable as a Triumph of Fame, with literary parallels apparent to just about every viewer, so the tarot trumps borrowed this imagery in order to make their point, and must have been just as immediately apparent to be of any use at all.

How did people teach one another the order to be played, before the game started? It wasn't Petrarch (only six triumphs in any case) and it wasn't anything we can find in literature. It was its own thing, as far as we can tell. But whatever it was, it seems that in Florence, it was clear that "Worldly Glory" was to be the second highest trump. This is pretty high; but in other contexts, the World becomes even higher, and the Angel of Eternity becomes lower.

The reason for the choice of images, their style, the order of the trumps in various places at a very early time, the most plausible story of these 22 cards, perhaps leading to an idea of their "original" meaning - this is what we seek with discussing all these seemingly minor issues of the identities of the figures on these cards - as well as the possibly endless byways that go into these searches.

Best regards,

Ross

mjhurst

Hi, Ross,

Ross G Caldwell said:
Next week?!
Well, that does start tomorrow...

Ross G Caldwell said:
Lorenzo's birth tray (either the earliest of the three or the second earliest), was made before his "Fame" was established. It gives equal weight to Love in the left hand, and Arms in the right (cupid and sword - art/poetry/literature vs. political fame). Nobody could know how he would turn out, but they hoped for "Fame" in any field.
So... in the trump hierarchy, the successes in love and war (the betrothal pic and the triumphal chariot) are related to Fame? Nice idea...

It makes for a very different sequence than Petrarch, but any reasonable interpretation of Tarot does. (Hence Moakley's ribald parody.) Looking at it this way has the triumphs that would lead to Fame coming before Time, and time coming before Death. The important thing is that Death culminates the De Casibus narrative, itself coming after the Emperor and Pope and before the eschatological triumphs over the Devil and Death.

Ross G Caldwell said:
The tarot triumphs are obviously not Petrarch's triumphs, the most obvious reason being that the only figure that could be understood as Time (the Hermit or Old Man) comes before Death as well as the only figure that could be understood as Fama. This is two times wrong for any depiction of Petrarch's Triumphs, which follow the order Love-Chastity-Death-Fame-Time-Eternity. The Old Man *can't* be Petrarch's Time, in any sense.
Of course, it also depends on which deck we're talking about. The Old Man was clearly Time in some decks, and the idea that the Chariot represents Chastity has been argued by some folks, given the iconography of a couple decks. But the sequence is clearly telling a different story in its details even if it uses virtually identical characters.

Ross G Caldwell said:
This suggests that the audience (players, commissioners) would have some familiarity with this figure from other sources.
I think that's assuming way too much. The personifications were the primary subjects. The elaborate triumphal scenes were just that, elaborations. The iconographic traditions, plural, that developed from Petrarch were also not Petrarch's Trionfi. For example, a week ago I described a common Triumph of Death image (posted by Huck) which was copied by various artists. It always appeared as one of six images, despite the fact that it told a complete story in itself, including Heaven and Hell, and despite the fact that Petrarch's Triumph of Death per se had nothing of the kind.

Each work, excepting actual copies, was distinct. The personifications of the trump cycle are not edited from a larger design -- the larger design is the trump cycle itself. Tarot needs to be taken seriously as a unique work of art.

Ross G Caldwell said:
What started me on these musings was your comment on the "Which imagery for the Trumps?" thread
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=90352
noting that the two of Costa's Triumphs are obviously "Petrarchan" in a derivative or dependent sense, but perfectly constrained by context - a church.

Just as Costa's imagery, derived ultimately from Triumph of Death and Fame paintings and Petrarch's secular poem, and just as Lorenzo's birth tray was outside of any serial context but immediately recognizable as a Triumph of Fame, with literary parallels apparent to just about every viewer, so the tarot trumps borrowed this imagery in order to make their point, and must have been just as immediately apparent to be of any use at all.
Costa has a lot of material in those two paintings, and most of it doesn't come from the iconographic traditions of Petrarch's Triumphs. Whether some of them can be related to his actual poems or not I don't know, but I doubt it. For example, there are a dozen or more stories being told at the top of the Triumph of Fame. For example, the details of the Last Judgment in Costa's Triumph of Death appears to owe little to Petrarch, even if we conflate the triumphs of Death and Eternity.

This also gets back to the question of a generic design (what you have termed the "synoptic" meaning) versus the detailed significance, or lack of same, for individual decks. As I've argued for years now, following Dummett, there was a recognized generic design, and there was not any recognized specific design. We know that, IMO, from the variations in ordering that he detailed in Chapter 20.

Best regards,
Michael

mjhurst

Costa and the Triumph of Life

When Marco posted about Costa's Triumph of Fame, I sent him a note mentioning that although I'd seen it referred to as a "Triumph of Life", it was indeed clearly Fame. I'd never seen it referred to as such, but the trumpets and elephants are decisive in their significance -- distinctive attributes of Fame -- even though it's a bizarre image overall.

Nonetheless, a number of writers have used the former term, "Triumph of Life", to better describe the image and its relationship with the corresponding Triumph of Death. So if anyone is searching for it online, that is another name to try.

mjh