Styles of Lenormands you prefer

Richard

I'm not sure they always do. For example if someone does a Fox, they would naturally do a landcape behind it. In fact, that distracts me. Or an anchor - on a beach - and the beach distracts me. I genuinely like my symbols floating disembodied like in the Gluck Lenormand or the Mertz. I saw a card recently by a very accomplished designer and the Lily was held by a woman. Hell, the woman distracts me. There is an up and coming Celtic Lenormand which has green landscapes and rolling hills in the background, all of which distract me! :D

Keep 'em disembodied!
Yes, but the backgrounds make it more fun for the artist. Artists tend to be show-offs.

Even esoteric Tarot cards need not be cluttered with symbols and backgrounds and such. The Regardie-Wang Golden Dawn Tarot (probably the most authentic of the Golden Dawn breed of decks) is as simple or simpler than the Tarot de Marseille.

greatdane

Ironically...

speaking about simplicity and distraction in lenormand decks....I find the inserts really distracting. When the insert takes up a good chunk of the card, esp at the top, and the cards are generally small to start with, DISTRACTING! At least to me. If I wanted to read with playing cards, that's what I would use. I understand why the insert is there, but I would rather some of the older cartomancy decks just not have them. That's what I would like, one of those kinds of decks, more of the classic, just without the inserts. Isn't there something like this but without the BIG insert OR verses? http://www.amazon.com/Lenormand-Orakelkarten-blaue-Lee-Sang-oak/dp/3905017032/ref=pd_sim_b_14
But with that said, as long as the deck has the symbol (like the key, for example) prominently displayed in the card, I'm fine with it. I just don't want to have to search for the symbol like a Where's Waldo?
Le Fanu, I read in your blog where you did praise decks like some of the Berenikas, so does that mean you don't really like them to read with? I like the atmospheric quality of them and the symbols are displayed and easy for me to see and not distracting. I can see if one were doing the Grand Tableau that it would be easier to just have a card with JUST the symbol on it, but as I am only interested in using a small number of cards, not an issue for me.
And BTW, dear AT folk, ARE there decks out there that are more classic just without the big insert at the top? A small symbol on the bottom doesn't bother me, it's that picture of a playing card at the top. I had Gina's Lenormand Oracle by LoS, but it was just too blurry and was distracting, that was rather simple. I love the looks of some of the decks mentioned, would prefer full color, classic, older, just no inserts. I know they're out there somewhere.

greatdane

WHERE are the decks like this??

Please scroll down to the PRINTABLE TAROT DECK (which obviously is a lenormand).
I would love a deck like that, without key words, preferably in color...and already printed. Surely there are decks like this out there? Published and ready to buy? It's simple, has a vintage look, and is basically one of the only decks I've seen I would like. I don't want to have to print, trim, cut off the key words and I would like it in color. Anyone else like this?
http://divinebooksale.com/lenormand-tarot-card.htm

kalliope

Greatdane, I really like those printable cards, too. The illustrations are great. I don't know of any available deck like that, though.

There is a new deck that is up for pre-orders that is more modern in style, but kind of similar in spirit. It might be something you'd like. It's the Lenormand Silhouettes deck (by the same people who created the Under the Roses deck.) You can see the cards here: http://lenormandsilhouettes.wix.com/deck

There is also the Dutch Lenormand that Lee has mentioned. No playing card insets, but the only color other than black & white is red. Lee's said that it's better looking in person, and that the illustrations are very well done. It's on my wishlist now. http://gameofhopelenormand.bigcartel.com/product/dutch-lenormand-deck

greatdane

Thank you, Kalliope!

But, but...I want THAT one lol. I so wish someone would do that deck, printed on ivory paper, maybe lightly color, get rid of the key words just leaving the words like Clover, round the edges, do a nice back and laminate. Is that too much to ask? :))) It's so simple, yet has a charm to it. I can't believe there is not a deck like that out there...already published. But I am looking at the links you so very nicely provided. As long as the symbols are clear and there isn't a card insert (even a small symbol at the bottom is ok, magisches does that and that seems fine), I'm good with it.

kalliope

You should definitely check out the thread for the Flonz Lenormand, being created by Baylys using rubber stamps made from her drawings. I can't wait for it to be produced.

I think her plans are for titles, numbers, and a small 7:club: type of notation, but no insets. The illustrations/stamps are beautiful but simple, and they will be on an ivory background. They are of the "disembodied floating symbols" type that Le Fanu mentioned. :)

Flonz Lenormand thread

ann823

Greatdane, I love that deck too. Could it be printed on cardstock? Probably more trouble than it's worth but its simple and yet has style.

greatdane

Great Kalliope and Ann...

Kalliope, thank you for sharing things as you come across them. I know people say sooo many lenormand decks, and yet I still have had trouble finding some classic ones without the inserts or verses, or maybe that's because that's what made them classic.
OH ANN, I SO wish a company like US GAMES would just buy the rights to that printable deck and mass produce it....wait...a...moment...I feel an email campaign coming on.....
While I want it, I want someone to make it, including coloring it just a bit and removing verses. I am emailing US GAMES and attaching that link. Hey, it's worked before...juuust saying....

Lee

There is a new deck that is up for pre-orders that is more modern in style, but kind of similar in spirit. It might be something you'd like. It's the Lenormand Silhouettes deck (by the same people who created the Under the Roses deck.) You can see the cards here: http://lenormandsilhouettes.wix.com/deck
I like it! Might be a little too feminine for me though.
There is also the Dutch Lenormand that Lee has mentioned. No playing card insets, but the only color other than black & white is red. Lee's said that it's better looking in person, and that the illustrations are very well done. It's on my wishlist now. http://gameofhopelenormand.bigcartel.com/product/dutch-lenormand-deck
The only thing that takes getting used to in this deck is the red clover, LOL.