book that address ethical issues

Zephyros

But that's exactly what I'm trying to do. This isn't my first day on the job, and I'm not entirely clueless, but you keep making statements and not backing them up. What, exactly, would you describe as transference in a reading? What is this altered stated you're talking about? I think it would be fair to say that in this thread alone you've received answers from several hundred years of accumulated reading experience, and educated people are asking questions to which the answers aren't "educate yourself."

You asked for opinions, and you got them. Why not reciprocate with a discussion? No one is trying to tear you down, merely understand you.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Now that this thread is in Tarot Books & Media, the focus of the thread needs to be books, websites or media that address ethical issues. (As long as those books are relevant to tarot readers, they don't specifically have to be about tarot.) How an individual does or doesn't use the tarot when reading for others is not directly related to that topic unless it's in response to information from a book on the topic.

A discussion of tarot ethics, whether personal or general, would need to be had in Talking Tarot.

Disa

Maybe a book recommendation to the Op about the ethics of discussing ethics with tarot readers in a way that is not assuming we are all unethical and have no concept of how to relate to people is in order.

Maybe a book recommendation to the original poster about not making assumptions that all sitters are ridiculously stupid is in order, as well.

Give more credit to those you are throwing under the bus with all of your projections and assumptions. Educate yourself.

ravenest

At the risk of raising a chorus of groans I am going to put up my usual source of ethics , magical ethics that is (I dont see the diff actually) . It is a very small book, but I find it sufficient.

'Liber Librae ... The Book of the Balance' - 'Thelemic' version. (and it just happens to 'coincidentally' have 21 numbered paragraphs ... {the 'Divine Fool' needs no ethics or morals ;) } ) .

or if one prefers its previous 'incarnation';

( Golden Dawn. Fourth Knowledge Lecture, The Practicus Degree) - ' On the General Guidance and Purification of the Soul.'

(Yes, I have read them :) )

tarotbear

Once the person lets down their guard, lets us in, we have obligation not to misuse our strength. the more responsibility one has not to misuse that trust.

Your rhetoric is disturbing to me. I will not be returning to any threads you start. You are guilty of the 'sin of omission' - That Means - You are yourself doing exactly what you are criticizing everyone else for doing - setting themselves up as an expert.

gregory

I'm not sure if one needs a WHOLE BOOK about the ethics of reading. Ethics is - what one might call a very short topic. It doesn't need 400 pages of dense argument. James Ricklef, who always covers this subject in his books, has it all covered on his blog - extracted from one of his books (Tarot Reading Explained).

Any additional personal bits are added by each of us - they have to be; we each have our own moral standards. I, for instance, won't do third party readings. I know there are people in this thread who very much disagree with me (you know who you are }))

But why it would take a whole book to get the basic messages across defeats me. What more needs to be said than what James has posted ?

However - rather than read from a medical POV, which I don't think is entirely appropriate to tarot, if I did want a whole book, I'd rather read something like Robin Wood's Wiccan Ethics book, When, Why, If.

Holly doll

A great book I would recommend to the OP is "Love Is Letting Go Of Fear" - a good one teaching about not trying to control others processes, & respecting their boundaries...

Step back a little closerwalking, you are attempting to do exactly what you rant against - controlling others... Educate yourself regarding your blanket assumptions & control issues

tjejen

This is probably not the best thread for me to begin my relationship with this board on - but as a psychologist and a tarot reader I can't help but put my two cents in.

Firstly, I have read The Ethics of Caring: Honoring the Web of Life in Our Professional Healing Relationships a few years ago. I can't say that I remember anything ground breaking or particularly insightful.

Secondly, ethics as it applies to psychology is much more involved than would ever be needed for tarot reading. To suggest that tarot readers seek out literature written for therapists is probably overkill. For one thing, clients come to therapy to have their problems addressed with the therapist. They are looking to form a relationship with the therapist and will work together to solve the problems currently being faced. That type of relationship brings about a set of ethical concerns that are simply not relevant to the tarot reader.

I would also like to clarify that the concept of transference (and counter-transference) is an issue that tends to be particular to psychoanalysis. The phrase was coined by Freud himself to describe the sexual tension he believed was present in every client/therapist relationship. It has evolved to refer to not only sexual tension, but also other emotional states directed at the therapist (or at the client in the case of counter-transference). These emotional states arise out of the intimate long-term, sometimes very intense relationship built between the client and therapist. Those therapists who take a psychoanalytic approach are trained to identify and deal with this problem should it arise. In contrast it is not usually an issue that arises in brief therapy sessions (also known as solution-oriented psychotherapy) which, if we have to make broad comparisons, is much more like tarot readings than any other form of therapy.

I agree that we should all behave ethically when dealing with others. I also think the bus driver should behave ethically, and the butcher and my daughter's first grade teacher. I also think the proposal that tarot readers educate themselves as a therapist does is unnecessary. Tarot readings may provide similar valuable insights into issues confronting a client, but what happens next in the therapy relationship bears almost no resemblance to the 'what happens next' in a tarot reading scenario.

Lee

Thanks tjejen, I enjoyed your post and found it a very helpful contribution to this thread.

tarotbear

I agree that we should all behave ethically when dealing with others. I also think the bus driver should behave ethically, and the butcher and my daughter's first grade teacher. I also think the proposal that tarot readers educate themselves as a therapist does is unnecessary. Tarot readings may provide similar valuable insights into issues confronting a client, but what happens next in the therapy relationship bears almost no resemblance to the 'what happens next' in a tarot reading scenario.

Thank you! Thank you for your input! :thumbsup: