Fairy Tale (Hunt) II The Sorceress

DaisyDragonfly

Keywords (from book): intuition, secrets, mysteries.

It had been a hard morning. Though the sun shone, it hadn’t reached his part of the mountain side. The cattle were restless, sensing something in the air. By the time he reached the banks of Llyn y Fan Fach, he was ready for his rest. He settled down to eat and, as he did, the sun laid its long fingers on the surface of the water.

And there she was, the most beautiful woman in the world. She rose from the waters of the lake, the green reeds and wild roses joining to press themselves against the blue folds of her gown. The water itself danced in pleasure at her wild-haired beauty. Sun-sparkles crowned her. He stared and as he did he lost his heart.

He did his best to woo her; in the end he won her or thought he had. But the woman from the lake - the woman who appeared when the sun rose and when the sun set, the woman who sobbed at a wedding and laughed at a funeral and needed carrying to get to a Christening - wasn’t for his keeping. She could never be his. And though he could love her - in the way that mortal men do - her love was not his.

She knew too much.

She does, this Sorceress, and hers is the deep knowledge of womanhood. This is hidden knowledge, secret knowledge, the mysteries that lurk around the edges of day. The fairy tale of this card is filled with time: she appears at sunrise, she appears at sunset, she appears at noon. There’s spring and there’s midsummer and there’s midwinter. There’s birth and marriage and death. Minutes and hours and days and lifetimes pass - and through it all the mystery remains, to be revealed only when the time is right.

She knows this, too. She gives him three chances but she knows that, soon, the time will come. This Sorceress tells us always to wait and see. Now isn’t the right time.

Why does she cry when two souls are wed? The congregants dance and celebrate the marriage of two hearts. She cries because she knows that death will part them. To love somebody is to be vulnerable, to be open to heartbreak. And so she sobs because without love there is no grief, but without grief there is no love. The universe is a simple place. And she wouldn’t do without one, so she prepares herself for the other.

Why does she laugh when a soul is buried? The congregants sob and celebrate the life of the person they loved. She laughs because she knows that life never ends. As one day fades into the next, as the wheel of the year turns, as the seasons give way to seasons, so do we. The world of which she is part - and more than part - will not allow death the final word. And so she laughs because without life there would be no death, but without death there would be no life. The universe is a simple place. And she wouldn’t do without one, so she prepares herself for the other.

She knows too much.

This isn’t a magical card; this is a mystical card. The wisdom that the Magician has yet to accrue is found here, in this profoundly feminine card. The Sorceress speaks in riddles; though she speaks the truth, you have to have the ears to hear it. Now isn’t the time, mostly, to understand her messages: you have to live with them, you have to learn them. You have to earn them. It’s time to wed wisdom to knowledge.

And no doubt, there’s a coldness to this card. Not cruelty, just the starkness of experience. The Sorceress is linked to Justice is linked to Judgment. If the Magician is endless possibility, the Sorceress is a reminder that reality bites. Of course, the Sorceress also knows that reality can caress. It’s not wise to fall to either extreme, but to know that the possibility for both exists.

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~

I love this card. I love the fairy tale and I love the lesson. Oh, but I’ve left off the postscript. Beautiful fairytale though this is, it becomes shockingly grounded in reality. The Maiden left her husband, but she also left behind 3 sons. The eldest son, Rhiwallon, was physician to Rhys Gryg, the Lord of Dinefwr and Llandovery castles, in the first half of the 13th Century. His dynasty - the Physicians of Myddvai - is alleged to have come to an end in 1743 with the death of John Jones.

I like this, too. I like that the fairy tale moves from the esoteric to the historical. Heck, it’s even geographical! You can visit Myddfai; you can go stand on the shores of Llyn y Fan Fach. Mystical it might be, but it’s not fanciful. In this card is the story of people, of how real people live and die and love and laugh. And that story - the one we all live, I suppose - lies at the heart of the mystery of this card.

Genna

Thank you for a very beautiful and profound rendering of this card.
I feel that an historical fairy woman is a perfect High Priestess. In Sweden fairies are traditionally never named "fairies", but spoken of as "those who live below ground".They can punish inquisitivity, such as spying on a fairy dance. Everything about them is mysterious, and they are full of secret wisdom.
To me fairies mean magical gifts hidden and found, secrets and mysteries you know about, but never speak of, (those secrets may sometimes be reveiled for a selected few).
This trump makes for a very strong High Priestess indeed.

Edited; spelling and grammar.

Surja76

DaisyDragonfly, really nice story. Deep and feminine.

In each fairytale there are good heroes and evil heroes. I seemed to be like evil hero of this fairy tale tarot in order to add following:

High Priestess is the woman that always has her own opinion to its life, love but at the same time it is difficult for her to come to any exact decision. She always in hesitations (appear whenever she wants - day or night, sunrise - sunset), common man is difficult to understand her. The main her problem she thinks too much about joys and sorrow of other people and that what role her knowledge is playing in their eyes, that she sometimes forgets about her own life and common natural needs and that she can be happy woman herself. She prefers to dream instead to make real actions.
I am in a risk to be thrown with fresh tomatoes but for me, High priestess is very Lazy girl. :) She can wake up in the morning, other day in the afternoon, or may be to the evening if her parents would tired from her sleeping and not waking her up.

YESSSS.. She is beautiful, well educated but her eyes are soooo far from reality that she is not able to see common things.
Now she is looking at the sun rise in order to escape again on the card. But the only thing she needs is to follow her eyes from the sun in the sky to the bottom, to the real chance proposed her. There are 3 flowers on the feeling water, making in the form of arrow and followed her to the land in the form of man's face.
These 3 flowers are the symbol of Empress. Her main purpose is to find her SUN - solar symbol of the man, but not escape when he appears. Her main purpose is to use her feminine treasures given her from nature in right way but not hide them. She should become the special woman for the special man.
She should aim to become wife and mother. Because she is prolific. Basket in her hands is the symbol of Child's cradle and protection.
She is the child inside, she needs protection, because she has only theory opinion about this life but she has not any practice.

She will got it when she will follow the way of 3 flowers, Empress way. She will learn how to treat her husband and how to protect her children. She will learn how to fight, because High Priestess never fight she prefers to escape.
High Priestess needs protection because she will never make active career, she will be pushed by other more brave and foxy. High Priestess is not able to fool anyone.

The only thing she can do is to share her secret knowledge for money being Priest or esoteric, if she want to stay alone.

DaisyDragonfly

genna said:
I feel that an historical fairy woman is a perfect High Priestess. In Sweden fairies are traditionally never named "fairies", but spoken of as "those who live below ground".They can punish inquisitivity, such as spying on a fairy dance. Everything about them is mysterious, and they are full of secret wisdom.
To me fairies means magical gifts hidden and found, secrets and mysteries you know about, but never speak of, (those secrets may sometimes be reveiled for a selected few).
This trump makes for a very strong High Priestess indeed.

Doesn't it, though? And a quite extraordinary High Priestess. Actually, I think there's very strong evidence that she's more than a Priestess and more like a local water Goddess. There's lot of these in British folklore, and as time passed they stopped being goddesses and started to be fairies and fairy queens. The clues are all there in the story, actually: there's an abundance of 3s, she appears only during the 'between-times' (the times when, in Celtic myths, the veil between the worlds is thinnest), and the three blows she receives occur during rites of passage. She also gives life (her 3 sons) and conquers death (raises to life one of the cows she takes back with her to the lake). She's a fairy in the deepest, most mysterious sense of the word... as befits a High Priestess. :)

I :heart: this card as the High Priestess. Though I must admit, I understand the concept of it, I do wonder how it would translate into advice during a reading. Time to think up some questions... or even interview the character. Lots of tarot fun!

DaisyDragonfly

Hi Surja!

Surja76 said:
In each fairytale there are good heroes and evil heroes.

There are, but in this story there aren't. The Lake Maiden isn't bad: she's neutral. She was never going to stay with her shepherd husband because she couldn't. All she could do was give him what he needed, which was to love and be loved in return. She promised to love him 'as any human wife can,' but she didn't promise that she could do that forever. She set a time limit on the relationship, knowing that it would eventually end. It had to. Happiness on a time limit.

High Priestess is the woman that always has her own opinion to its life, love but at the same time it is difficult for her to come to any exact decision. She always in hesitations (appear whenever she wants - day or night, sunrise - sunset), common man is difficult to understand her. The main her problem she thinks too much about joys and sorrow of other people and that what role her knowledge is playing in their eyes, that she sometimes forgets about her own life and common natural needs and that she can be happy woman herself. She prefers to dream instead to make real actions.

Great stuff here! And I think your final sentence there helps me with something I would find difficult in a reading: translating it into something relevant. Do you think there's an element of 7 of Cups to this card? Perhaps in its reversed state? A High Priestess in the height of her powers could make dreams into reality, but it'd be time-bounded and illusory to an extent, couldn't she? There's something about materializing a dream into a reality, but only being able to do so in a flawed way, or for a short time - the Shepherd dreamed of loving his maiden and marrying her. His dream came true, but not in the way he wanted it.

One thing I will add is about those 'hesitations': the in-between times. I've mentioned it in my reply to Genna, above. Those times are signs that she's supernatural: the liminal time when reality is imperfect, and the greater truths of the universe start to leak into our world. Again, time is a factor. She can't come into this world whenever she wants to, she has to choose the right time.

YESSSS.. She is beautiful, well educated but her eyes are soooo far from reality that she is not able to see common things.
Now she is looking at the sun rise in order to escape again on the card. But the only thing she needs is to follow her eyes from the sun in the sky to the bottom, to the real chance proposed her. There are 3 flowers on the feeling water, making in the form of arrow and followed her to the land in the form of man's face.

More fab stuff! But of course, she's not going to do that. She's not going to take the real chance that she's given: she doesn't want it. She's not the Empress yet, after all. She's the Maiden, that ancient female state of feminine power. She must know she's out of balance - masculine/feminine - and that this gives her a skewed view of the world. But the power it gives her is the power of the intuition and of mysteries. She sacrifices everything else that the Empress will get, because she wants the secrets that sacrifice will bring her. It's not an ideal state, and certainly not for everyone: but it's a path she's chosen and one that she'll stick to for as long as she wants.

These 3 flowers are the symbol of Empress. Her main purpose is to find her SUN - solar symbol of the man, but not escape when he appears. Her main purpose is to use her feminine treasures given her from nature in right way but not hide them. She should become the special woman for the special man.
She should aim to become wife and mother. Because she is prolific. Basket in her hands is the symbol of Child's cradle and protection.
She is the child inside, she needs protection, because she has only theory opinion about this life but she has not any practice.

You're right. And it's important that the Empress is the next card, because it's the next step on the Fool's journey: Masculine intelligence from the Magician and Feminine wisdom from the High Priestess results in the Empress, with her very earthy practicality and humour.

Actually, on a side note, that's one thing the High Priestess lacks: a sense of humour! It's like you said: she's all theory, without practice. She knows that people grieve when they lose somebody they love, and she'll even cry in sympathy... but she doesn't really understand it. She's never felt it. She's all empathy without experience. Unlike the Empress, of course, who seems to have seen (and done!) it all :)

DragonFae

WOW...there is so much to contemplate here....I need to really mull this over...Since this is my soul card....it interests me....

surja76 said:
High Priestess is the woman that always has her own opinion to its life, love but at the same time it is difficult for her to come to any exact decision. She always in hesitations (appear whenever she wants - day or night, sunrise - sunset), common man is difficult to understand her. The main her problem she thinks too much about joys and sorrow of other people and that what role her knowledge is playing in their eyes, that she sometimes forgets about her own life and common natural needs and that she can be happy woman herself.

Funny thing is....I can really SEE myself in this part....and while in a way it is a blessing...it is also a curse....the caring about others joys and sorrows part anyway. I need to read more about this card...mull it over, reflect etc.

Genna

DaisyDragonfly said:
. :)
I :heart: this card as the High Priestess. Though I must admit, I understand the concept of it, I do wonder how it would translate into advice during a reading. Time to think up some questions... or even interview the character. Lots of tarot fun!

Maybe one of the possibilities when this card comes up in a reading may be "the answer is with the fairies" or"your help will come through the fairies"?
After all, fairies interacted with people in the past, and many say they still do (as in "The Fairies Oracle" by Brian Froud for example.)
Link http://www.worldoffroud.com/index.html or
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/faeries-oracle/review.shtml

Just a thought.

Edited to add; after all this deck IS magical, and I feel as if it connects you with both fairies and fairy-tales...:)

Surja76

DaisyDragonfly said:
Hi Surja!

There are, but in this story there aren't. The Lake Maiden isn't bad: she's neutral. She was never going to stay with her shepherd husband because she couldn't. All she could do was give him what he needed, which was to love and be loved in return. She promised to love him 'as any human wife can,' but she didn't promise that she could do that forever. She set a time limit on the relationship, knowing that it would eventually end. It had to. Happiness on a time limit.

Hi. I do not think this girl is bad. I meant that sometimes my own notes are sharp a little bit and can shadow coloured picture, because I try to suit them to real life and real people.
Yes right if you see everyday like any girl is walking alone along the seashoe or sitting at the darkest place of the bar bothering and thinking about only she knows, you should be sure it is High Priestess. She never notice you till you come to her place first.
You can talk to her about everything in this life, you will be pleasantly surprised how much she knows, but do not consider you will got her telephone number the same day or draw her to the bed in short time. Actually the High Priestess is the card of feminists. :) :)

DaisyDragonfly said:
Great stuff here! And I think your final sentence there helps me with something I would find difficult in a reading: translating it into something relevant. Do you think there's an element of 7 of Cups to this card? Perhaps in its reversed state? A High Priestess in the height of her powers could make dreams into reality, but it'd be time-bounded and illusory to an extent, couldn't she? There's something about materializing a dream into a reality, but only being able to do so in a flawed way, or for a short time - the Shepherd dreamed of loving his maiden and marrying her. His dream came true, but not in the way he wanted it.

May be I do not know numerological position of 7 of cups. It is very close to this.

I thought from the point of view of shadow cards we talked before.

2 High Priestess
11 (1+1 = 2) Justice or Strength as any like.
20 Judgment

+ Hidden Arcanums - 12 Hanged man and the Fool as it is 22.

High priestess is the Child (Fool inside), she looks at this world with open eyes and think she knows everything and it is so understandable. As she does not know practical life she can be fooled by others and at the same time, if her way of life will not be chosen correctly, High Priestess can fool herself. She should choose carefully. She is the same like a fool she is staying in the edge of upper and lower worlds.

But in contrast with Fool who can walk over the world without any purpose gathering his new knowledge, High Priestess has exact two purposes she should choose what should she go to. It is because Fool is her hidden arcanum but Judgment (20) is the main. it is karmic choice that will influence of her further life. Judgment push her to change something in her life and to make decision. It means that she worth for better in this life.

First way It is Magician way (left wall), spiritual or religious way, way of secret knowledge and other practices are able to help people. To marry others, or to be fortune teller, or just to be nun in the Church.

Second way is the way of Empress (right wall) - is to be married woman and mother. To be involved to the Earth social life with its joys and sorrows.

And one these ways should be made. And One of these ways should be sacrificed (Hanged man 12).

Choosing her first way she should be ready refuse from woman's role and to serve to others ideals.

Choosing other way she should sacrifice her freedom, her right to private life and fully sacrifice her time to family interests.

Main thing is to make right choice in order not to sorrow for it later.
Justice (11) push her to understand what is more or less important for her - to be independent or to be around of close people.

if we place Strength like 11 card, it has very exact meaning. :) Such woman should choose to have a sex with a man or satisfied herself.
Oh sorry this fairy tale is not for children. :)

DaisyDragonfly

genna said:
Maybe one of the possibilities when this card comes up in a reading may be "the answer is with the fairies" or"your help will come through the fairies"?

Edited to add; after all this deck IS magical, and I feel as if it connects you with both fairies and fairy-tales...:)

Ooh, I like that. *writes in journal*

Or, the answer will come through meditation/contemplation/prayer. :) Or even, to somebody less spiritually inclined, an instruction to sleep on it and let their subconscious work on the issue.

I've got Froud's Faerie Oracle, but haven't done much work with it yet. I'm still figuring out this tarot business, and I don't think I have the time to properly devote to a whole new system - at the moment. It's sitting on the shelf right now, gazing over at me, so I know I won't be able to resist it for much longer :)

I'd like to see this study group through, though. 3 cards up and running, 75 to go! :party:

keeks

II: The Sorceress
An initial description:
A middle-aged woman stands on a river. She has blonde, glowing hair with light dotting through it. On her face is a slight smile, and she appears to be looking off in the distance. Around her neck is a blue necklace. The bodice of her dress is a light blue-green; the rest is a pale gray that fades into the rippling surface of the water. Both the bodice and bottom of the dress are flowing with vines and flowers. In the surface of the water, around her dress, float 3 dark pink roses. It looks like she is the water. Beneath her left arm is a small wooden basket with a floral lid. The river flows and has swirls of light dotting across it. On the right is a lone mossy rock. Grass grows along the shore, and to the left, wild dark pink flowers grow. Spindly trees with bare branches lead off, and the sun is rising or setting, painting the lower sky a pale yellow and orange. The stars dot the light blue sky, and tall grasses beckon beyond the trees.

Preliminary meanings:
The sorceress represents Mother Earth. She is solid and nurturing, filled with magic, raw power, and kindness. She has a special bond with nature, especially water, and is intuitive and emotional, yet calm and soothing.

The basic fairy tale from once upon a fairy tale: (The Lake Maiden)
A shepherd caught himself a lake maiden. They married and had children. He taps her on the shoulder 3 times and she leaves (it was the only conditional clause). Their children visit her and she teaches them the magical arts of healing.

personal significance:
The sorceress is a symbol of intuitive magic. She is in touch with nature and the emotional. She focuses on healing, luck, and good.

book symbolism, etc:
The sparkling water represents the unconsciousness and intuition. The roses signify life, fecundity, and new ideas. You can start acquiring awareness of the greater forces at work in your life.

variations of the lake maiden:
- The lake maiden is also known as "The Shepherd of Myddvai," a celtic/welsh fairy tale. There are many parallels to the elements of: bride capture of a (swan) maiden, recognition of the bride, taboo of causeless blows, doomed to be broken, disappearance of maiden, and return as guardian spirit.
- The Swan Maiden, by Howard Pyle: A king sends his 3 sons one by one to watch his golden pear tree. The first sleeps. The second sleeps. The third puts wax in his ears and sees the swan maiden. He rides her to a witch's house on a glass hill where he is set to three tasks. The maiden does them for him (cleans stables, thatches the stable roof with feathers, and helps him get crow eggs). When he is home, he opens the three eggs, getting a palace, animals and servants. They marry.
- The story of the Swan Maiden: King marries a swan girl, and they have a baby. Jealous Gypsy pushes her into a well and marries the king. A boy cuts a flute from a willow in the well which betrays the Gypsy and turns back into the queen.
-The Mermaid Wife: A man steals a sea maiden's seal skin. She marries him and they have children. One child finds the skin, and she takes it, going back home to her first husband.

Traditional meanings of the high priestess (From Gray's book):
The high priestess protects the scroll of esoteric wisdom. She represents the moon and the eternal feminine. She is the virgin goddess, and spiritual enlightenment. She has the latent power to manifest and is the link between the seen and unseen. She is of special value for artists, poets, and mystics. She represents the perfect woman/'s virtues.

Parallels:
The sorceress also embodies latent and inherent power, as well as the link between the seen and unseen. She also has esoteric knowledge that she passes on to her children. Pictorially, the parallels are the gowns.

The High Priestess (From Journey of the hero):
Traditionally the opposite of the magician. She is patient willingness to let oneself be guided and wait for the right moment. Everything has its time; let things happen themselves. It is the trust in our inner voice showing us a path and if we should take action, and when, where, and how. She is the "wisdom of the womb" and stands for the dream world, feeling and sensing. As well as intuiting the correlations as well as the source of deepest inspiration. The archetype is the Queen of Heaven.

Related to Sorceress:
The sorceress patiently waits for the shepherd to present the right food. When he messes up, she leaves. She has knowledge of healing that she passes on and the water she comes from signifies the intuition that the high priestess shares.

Meditation/writing jump off:
I wait at the meeting place for the one who searches for knowledge. My intuition tells me that the one is coming, and I have the gifts prepared, here under my arm. The wisdom of nature surrounds me- from the ancient trees grasping for sunlight and life, to the flower that floats along the river. Here I am, at the time when day and night meets... Where are you?