2 Epees (Swords) - how may it be read?

jmd

This card, in comparison to the previous one, gives its opposite: the Ace resembles a straight line, this only the curve - in fact, a full circle, cut in half, and pulled to each side to form not only a Vesica Piscis, but also to reveal therein an open flower, ready to receive.

This important sequence from one to two, and its various oppositions, is important - or at least to me.

'A flower', describes Goethe, 'is a leaf mad with Love'.

The leaves that had earlier and unseen nourished and protected the plant, and enclosed its enclosed bud, now open their arms in anticipation of the flower's fulfilment.

And just as a Rose has thorns, each as a tongue praising the un-approachable beauty of its crowning, so this flower is within the sharp blades of its protective swords.

Attached is a 'pinky-fied' Payen version :)

Attachments

• 2 E Payen (pinked).jpg
    2 E Payen (pinked).jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 217

smleite

Birth, as in the birth of a child, could be considered as “an act of sword’s nature”. The process tears apart the mother’s body, and the child, the flower, is then born from a bleeding wound, a wound that is like a vesica piscis. Such a violent moment is the most touching act of creation we can contemplate. Still, being born into this world is not a “cup’s moment”, no matter how beautiful and emotional it can be – in carnal terms, a birth is ruled by the sword, don’t you think?

Moongold

JMD, the attachment has errors - can't be seen. 5 January 2005

tmgrl2

I couldn't open it either, jmd.

In the meantime, I will attach the Hadar (Left) and Camoin
(Right).

All of the two's in the Tarot de Marseille are quite ornate and rich in appearance , with flowers and/or heraldic emblems.

Two d'Epees for me has to do with "dialogue." With the flowering center, we move away from the strictly intellectual and enter into fertile discussions, into the birth of the spiritual, a readiness for the spirit to enter.

New ideas are forming, opinions exchanged.

Inspirational gestation.

The eight bud offshoots from the central flower (Camoin), suggest the desire of the two's to achieve the harmony and balance of the 8 (La Justice)...wisdom dispensed with love.

The Hadar has four offshoots...material manifestation? with the addition of four buds, one each nestled in the curve of the swords handle...again, an 8.

terri

Attachments

• Epee.jpg
    Epee.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 190

Moonbow

I see something of importance and beauty being protected also, and I also relate to smleite's words which were wonderfully expressed regarding birth. But I also see a pregnancy, the young being protected in the Uterus. We have two extremes here... a gentle, delicate flower allowed to reach full bloom - to mature, and the swords which can kill or protect..... but which can also signify a celebration - to me. I also see the number 2 as being the start of a journey... or life. One is stationary - a point, whereas two is a start and a destination, and can be joined to form a journey, a road.

So, how to read the card..... it could relate to a fruitful partnership, opposites coming together and working together , pairing and producing.

smleite

Our journey in life cannot start without “two” – our two parents. Our own creations, acts and initiatives cannot possibly be born without the contribution of our two “sides”, that is, the right and left hemispheres of our brain, our ability to think and our ability to materialize those ideas, our right and left hands, etc. Material life in all its forms and levels is dual, and that duality seems to be the cradle of creation. In the Tree of Life, “everything” happens between the right and left columns. Two columns also mark the entrance of the Temple – any temple, both in symbolic and in material terms. Speaking more “crudely”, two “columns” (the legs) also mark the entrance of the human “temple of creation” that is the uterus, itself surrounded by the two ovaries.

To me, this card seems to say, when “two” are joined together, something else automatically appears - a third part, the creation. I think this could be a good idea to meditate upon; does creation happens automatically, whenever “a couple” (any kind of couple) meets? Is the third part already present (even if not manifested) in Two?

Silvia

Herzog

Lots of beautiful ideas, but lost as to how to express them. Indecision. Running around in circles inside one's mind. Writers block. Important information withheld for strategic reasons. General conflict of the mind.

As I see it, the opened flower -a perfect thought- is imprisoned