Bohemian Gothic Tarot app now out

Le Fanu

I just bought the Bohemian Gothic tarot app which is released (I think) today.

I paid the special introductory price of 6.99 euros. Excellent image quality as you can imagine, top notch interface etc etc. It has the text of the book which is great for those who missed the book and want all the references (plus a lot of other textual gothic goodies). I need to have a play around and orient myself before I can comment more, but I'm so happy to have - at last - my first MRP app.

GryffinSong

I saw it and am only hesitating because its not done by Fool's Dog. Please let us know what you think of the interface.

Disa

Yep. I'm spoiled by Fool's Dog! Let us know.

Winterchild

The images on the app store don't really tell much, so am keen to hear more Mr L...

Le Fanu

Yes, spoilt by Fool's Dog, I know, I know.

OK, so it doesn't have the choice of spreadcloths, the cool riffle shuffling and wash and cut and draw, and just that general feeling that everything is in the right place. But maybe that's just because I'm more familiar with Fool's Dog apps.

However, it has - as expected - excellent quality, colour, sharpness etc etc - and the textual accompaniment is superb - the whole book, plus essays on gothic, spread styles, learning the tarot, gothic archetypes, tips on the courts, reading styles. Very thorough reading matter. Lots and lots of wonderful info. Plus of course a place to record your spread and email to a friend (things I never do)

You never have the cards laid out on a "pretend" table like you do in the F.Dog apps. It's hard to explain - you draw them and they're sort of semi-fanned still and you can pass from one card to the other and select a card to bring it to the foreground. There are six spreads inclided - from one card to six cards.

What I'm not so keen on;

the Lovers card :(

The fact that all cards (understandably) have "Copyright Karen Mahony & Alex Ukolov" in feint letter across the very top of each card, the very top *maybe* half centimetre. Distracts me a little, but I love the deck and so can forgive it anything. I understand why they have to do it. I personally would have no idea how to copy and paste a card image - in fact I've tried with other apps (not for illicit reasons just curious as to whether you can copy a tarot card image in an app!) and it is a thing that has been disabled but I suppose someone would know how to do it. But I look at the card and see these feint words out of the corner of my eye.

Winterchild

Thanks for this Leffy...

Sold...to the wee person at the bottom of the world, who shivers as she types in fingerless gloves...

Agree re the watermark... that is distracting... I don't like the cartoony arrows at the bottom either... and as you say, it is unfamiliar, but he cards look gorgeous in shiny detail.

At this point I cannot help but think it would be extra gorgeous on Fools Dog, but I shall remain open to enjoyment of what I have :)

Thanks for this Baba people!

GryffinSong

I sprung for it. Its hard to pay that much for an app when Fools Dog does a better job than anyone else, but I do like it. This deck is one that I doubt I'd have ever invested in as physical cards, but I like it better than I thought I would. Some of the cards are quite nice.

At a quick glance:

- Have to use it in portrait mode.
- When browsing the cards, you go in order and stop at fool and world. Should cycle arould so you don't have to back up.

Graphics are great.

In hindsight, I didn't even notice the copyright that le fanu mentioned ... will have to go back and look for it.

I had only seen a few cards before. Although there are definitely some I don't care for, there are some that I VERY much LOVE.

And now I'm off to spend some more time with it.

Pam O

I came over to AT to see if anyone had gone for the non-Fool's Dog Bohemian Gothic app. I too have been hesitant because it is more than all my other Tarot apps AND it is not released thru Fool's Dog who is currently the most awesome app company.

The copyright on the cards sounds really annoying. Shadowscapes is incredible quality and that deck has no copyright anywhere on the cards. That was the first app I bought because so many people swooned over it. And Shadowscapes is everything people claimed. That is by far the bIggest and best card pictures of all the apps so far!

I enjoy all my MRP decks, I just am hesitating on this app. If it was Fool's Dog, I would have already bought. I already have 11 of Fool's Dog apps and planning on getting more because they are so amazing...

ETA: Right now it is $7.99 US.

Pam O

I bought it.

I don't like it. :(

Many reasons. It does not have a guarantee, right? You cannot return it can you?

It would have been great if it was a Fool's Dog app...

GryffinSong

Yeah, the biggest problem with apps is that you can't return, trade, or sell them. I don't regret getting it, but I wish they'd let Fool's Dog do it.