Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

CharlotteK

Hi Charlotte,
The images are cool, but the cardstock is horribly flimsy. As much as I like how some RWS cards are represented on this one, I am always disapointed by this deck when I hold it in my hands because of the cheapish quality of the cards. At least the app cannot disapoint you in this regard !
Thank you! I will stick with the app :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

lantana

I'm on the fence about this deck since the day I clapped eyes on it for the first time. Some cards are amazing, others puzzling, others seem really "off" to me. As collaborative deck, it's a fascinating effort, but how does it hold together as a deck? How do the tarot and the astronomy go together?

I'm a hobby stargazer (wouldn't dare to call myself anything more than that...) and this deck pulls me strongly - but I'm afraid it's just nice to look at. I like to use the decks I have, for reading, meditation, affirmation, all kind of nice things.

So, what can you tell me about this deck? Those who bought it - do you use it? has it become a fix star on your celestial cupola? or was it a short sweet quickly forgotten firework?

(I'm on the fence about three decks right now: Idiosyncradeck, Neopren's Wicked Pack and this one, the Cosmos...)

Hoo boy, this deck. The first thing I can say about it is that it is very much NOT a tarot deck. It's more like an oracle with a tarot-like system, and I honestly wish they didn't try to shoehorn mentions of the RWS system into it.

The second thing is that I feel like it really does require some study and getting used to. It captures the stars and the mythos behind the constellations perfectly, but it also captures that cold and vast feeling of space as well. It feels hard to approach sometimes.

I do think this deck can be used quite well for meditation and affirmation, and the booklet is very helpful in explaining the lore and how it might apply to everyday life. Still, I might say go for the Idiosyncradeck right now since it's in a limited run, and maybe look at the Arcana of Astrology oracle to see if that deck would fit your needs better.

Nemia

Dear Lantana, thank you very very much! Just the kind of answer I was hoping for! I have a clearer feeling for the deck now. And thank you for the recommendation! *off to check it out happily*

baconwaffles

Hello all! Has anyone here played with the Tarot Esoterico? My birtyday is coming up and I would like to get a deck. I am considering that one, also Crow's Magic. There are a few others floating around my mind like the Corte Dei Tarocchi by Il Meneghello, or Robledo's Marseille, but those last two would be a bit harder to get to.

Crow's Magic looks vividly interesting, and with Tarot Esoterico I have been eyeing that decks for some time, a year or so. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Michellehihi

Hello all! Has anyone here played with the Tarot Esoterico? My birtyday is coming up and I would like to get a deck. I am considering that one, also Crow's Magic. There are a few others floating around my mind like the Corte Dei Tarocchi by Il Meneghello, or Robledo's Marseille, but those last two would be a bit harder to get to.

Crow's Magic looks vividly interesting, and with Tarot Esoterico I have been eyeing that decks for some time, a year or so. Any thoughts?

The Corte Dei Tarocchi is the most beautiful of all those you have named. It is small, the cards have a unique vertical rectangle shape, the art is beautiful. I have one and every time I read with it I am in awe.

Lee

The Corte Dei Tarocchi is the most beautiful of all those you have named. It is small, the cards have a unique vertical rectangle shape, the art is beautiful. I have one and every time I read with it I am in awe.
I agree, Corte Dei Tarocchi is a real treasure. Be aware, though, the cards aren't laminated and the corners are sharp, so shuffling is a different experience.

Rose Lalonde

A third vote for the lovely Corte dei Tarocchi. I got mine from Alidastore years ago and have never been sorry. Lee's right about shuffling; it's a quite thick matte card stock, like nothing else I have. I think it suits the deck, but it wouldn't bend to riffle shuffle. (I use a mini shuffle deck regardless of which deck I read with, so it's made no difference to me.)

(ETA -- I see Alidastore is selling a 2nd edition of 400 copies. My comments were based on the 1st ed. I don't know that they changed anything -- photo looks the same -- but just mentioning...)

Belinda2

I'm strongly considering pre-ordering this deck from Amazon. I've always been fascinated by the veiled (and not-so-veiled) archness and malice in the Wonderland story, finding it "cute" only on its very thinly laid surface. This deck seems to capture the mood perfectly.

There apparently was an original version. Do any of you who own it have anything to say about it either way?

http://www.usgamesinc.com/The-Wonderland-Tarot-in-a-Tin/

I don't but now I who like Alice in Wonderland because of you I am thinking about getting this tarot. but I do wish they would reprint the standard size

Morwenna

I got the first edition when it came out, loved it for probably about 5 years, mad a bag for it, etc and ultimately I ended up gifting it to a close friend. I absolutely loved it at the time, and I think it does have a fantastic sense of humor. The artwork very much echoes the John Tenniel illustrations, which is what sucked me in, but in the end, it's a RWS knock off.

Being a "RWS knockoff" doesn't bother me a bit. In fact I love seeing RWS transliterated into other realms. I've had it since its early days. I haven't used it in a few years, but that's due more than anything else to the embarrassment of riches I've accumulated since.

I do want the tinned version. At the rate I'm going, I'll eventually have all my faves in that format as well as the standard.

baconwaffles

A third vote for the lovely Corte dei Tarocchi. I got mine from Alidastore years ago and have never been sorry. Lee's right about shuffling; it's a quite thick matte card stock, like nothing else I have. I think it suits the deck, but it wouldn't bend to riffle shuffle. (I use a mini shuffle deck regardless of which deck I read with, so it's made no difference to me.)

(ETA -- I see Alidastore is selling a 2nd edition of 400 copies. My comments were based on the 1st ed. I don't know that they changed anything -- photo looks the same -- but just mentioning...)

I agree, Corte Dei Tarocchi is a real treasure. Be aware, though, the cards aren't laminated and the corners are sharp, so shuffling is a different experience.

Thank you for your opinions and I agree it does look beautiful I just fear its wearability because of the different card stock. The deck is now being carried by a shop near me so we'll see what I end up with this coming month...
There is also something weird about the Tarot Esoterico that intrigues me, and Robledo's deck I find breathtaking but so hard to get a hold of where I am.