Fairytale Tarot (MRP) -- Ten of Swords

Master_Margarita

This card is beautifully exemplified by the Hans Christian Anderson story, "The Constant Tin Soldier," which can be found here. This card to me signifies a combination of tragedy with a kind of bittersweet sense of resolution.

There is one very interesting element to the original story, however, that is neither listed in the companion book summary of the tale or depicted in the card (this detail is at the link I have posted for the story). The reason that the constant tin soldier falls in love with the paper doll in the first place is his misperception of a common trait. She is a ballerina en pointe with one leg lifted up so he can't see it from where he stands. He was miscast out of lead and is missing one leg. He believes she lacks a leg and they have that in common! Of such misunderstandings is infatuation made.

Of course, in the beautiful sad ending of the tale they end as a tin heart and ashes of paper.

Although the stories aren't related, the combination of this card and this story puts my in mind of the Bulat Okudzhava song, "Soldat Bumazhnij" ("Paper Soldier"), translation and video of the author singing it here:

He'd bravely go through fire and smoke,
he'd die for you. No vapour.
But he was just a laughing-stock,
a soldier made of paper.

:heart: M_M~