15th century Stuttgart tarot???

catlin

Hi there,
Yesterday I came across the mentioning of a Stuttgart tarot deck dating from the 15th century. I was born not too far away from Stuttgart but I never heard of this deck.

Any ideas, suggestions, information about this deck?

catlin

Already tried a search on the web but got out nothing about this one.

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Catlin,

catlin said:
Hi there,
Yesterday I came across the mentioning of a Stuttgart tarot deck dating from the 15th century. I was born not too far away from Stuttgart but I never heard of this deck.

Any ideas, suggestions, information about this deck?

What is your source on this? There is a "Stuttgarter Kartenspiel" from around 1430, which is a card deck with non-standard suits. It is complete and very beautiful, but not a tarot deck -

Andy's playing cards writes -
"Dating back to 1430, the Stuttgarter Kartenspiel ("Stuttgart deck") was drawn and painted in south-western Germany. These cards belonged to a particular kind of pattern now referred to as "hunting decks", which had no trumps and adopted peculiar suits. They were used in central European areas of German culture, since the first half of the 15th century."
http://a_pollett.tripod.com/cards.htm

All of the images used to be in the Playing card museum at trionfi.com, but I can't find them now. Kaplan talks about them on page 59 of volume I of the Encyclopedia.

I don't know anything else that could be taken (mistakenly or otherwise) as a 15th century Stuttgart tarot deck.

Ross

Adam McLean

It could also be the Hofämterspiel made in 1450
which I believe is in the Württembergisches Landesmuseum in Stuttgart.

http://l-pollett.tripod.com/cards23.htm

A facsimile of this was published a few years ago.

Dwaas

The cards of the Stuttgarter Kartenspiel are breathtaking! I really feel touched by the gentle and beautiful art. Thanks for letting us know about these wonderful playing cards. Just finding out about these kind of pearls really makes my day.
Blessings

catlin

Hi guys,
you are just amazing! Thanks a lot! I cannot recall where I found the mentioning of the Stuttgart tarot but I really think that is one of the Hofämter or jagdspiele.