Green tinted Thoth deck

Essence of Winter

I saw one of these for sale for £12 and after some deliberation decided to buy it. It's published by Samuel Weisser and the box looks very similar to my current production large Green (but not green tinted) US Games edition.

The green tint does makes the titles easier to read but I don't think that it impinges on the images at all. They are not as bold as my US Games editions but the softer colouring is very nice. It certainly doesn't look sickly or nauseating to me.

I really like the fact that the backs of the cards have the full image with no border. This deck has the unicursal hexagramme and one Magician.

The one major difference with my US Games large Thoth other than the obvious green tinge is the booklet: the one in my Weisser edition is much nicer as it has information from Book Theta explaining the symbolism of each card.

I can't speak for other Green tinted Thoth editions but I would wholeheartedly recommend the Samuel Weisser edition. It is fantastic.

Le Fanu

A lovely member here recently sent me a Thoth Greenie (is that what you're referring to?) I already have two but there is something about the saturation of this one that has hooked me (this one is in a white U.S Games tuckbox).

I absolutely love it and keep going back to reading with it. The borders are greenish but the images themselves look richly saturated and yet also like old fashioned book illustrations. Like 1950s Lithographs or something. I love reading with it. Somebody has written astrological sigils in the borders in pencil, so - in a sense - it has been defaced - and so I feel less guilty about using such a beautiful vintage edition. It has already been technically "spoilt." In all other ways it is in excellent condition.

Abrac

Long live the greenie! :D

Essence of Winter

A lovely member here recently sent me a Thoth Greenie (is that what you're referring to?) I already have two but there is something about the saturation of this one that has hooked me (this one is in a white U.S Games tuckbox).

I absolutely love it and keep going back to reading with it. The borders are greenish but the images themselves look richly saturated and yet also like old fashioned book illustrations. Like 1950s Lithographs or something. I love reading with it. Somebody has written astrological sigils in the borders in pencil, so - in a sense - it has been defaced - and so I feel less guilty about using such a beautiful vintage edition. It has already been technically "spoilt." In all other ways it is in excellent condition.

Yes, that's the one I am referring to. There is plenty of saturation but not as much as with the current US Games editions. If anything, I find it easier to make out the details.

gregory

Is it as green as the one I once sent you a card from to complete another greenie you had from a member here that was short an ace disks ?? THAT card was a greenie and then some. :bugeyed: You said it stuck out like a sore thumb. I live in hope of getting another greenie as green - that copy was missing Tower when I got it. I keep buying them in hope - and nothing has even come close.

Le Fanu

Nowhere near as green. Nor as green as the one which I got from Lillie - the one she said was the greenest greenie she had ever seen.

This is in a different league. Just sort of gently green and not in a way that greatly influences the colouring of the actual card -only the borders. But it isn't Weiser. I thought all the greenies were U.S Games and sort of 1980s-ish

foolMoon

I have a pack of this greenie Thoth Deck myself, and use it sometimes. The colour is faded, and is keep fading, so it looks very vintage.

If I recall correctly, in the past this particular deck is advised to be avoided by many Tarot forum members due to its flat colour of the images on each cards giving difficulties in seeing detailed images of the cards.

I also have the blue boxed AGMuller version, which has more vibrant, sharper and higher contrast of the colour, and use it as the main deck.

Still I like this greenie deck, because it seems the stock is heavier, faded flat coloured images and the border-less back can be cool sometimes.

gregory

There has been much discussion here about the BOXES these things come in. It may be an early USG in a Weiser box - and also there is considerable evidence that some newer decks have been put in old boxes by unwitting (or even very naughty, deceitful) sellers. Many people actually don't realise the significance of the box...

Essence of Winter - what EXACTLY is the box like ?

Emily

My greenie Thoth is the one deck I would never get rid of, even if it did take a while to grow on me, I like how even the fonts are done with green ink. Usually I like vibrant decks but this version of the Thoth has a feeling all of its own. :)

Laura Borealis

I adore mine (another deck with a gregory-contributed card). It's one of the softer greenies.

My original greenie was more green, if I remember right, but it's probably in a police evidence locker so I will never be able to compare.