Exploring your Artist's path - SPREAD

M-Press

Simone said:
we are all the creators of our own paths, the artists of life (makes me think of actors instead of painters though :D).

he...! he...!
you totally get me...
and you make me spill facts before time!
the significator card-is an extra one, and has a stage on it!!!
;)

Wisp Wings

M-Press said:

------------------------------------------
1. THE NOW
Where are you now, while looking at your path ahead with the eyes of an Artist.

2. THE SELF-PORTRAIT
What is your self-image of an Artist. What is your relationship with this identity.

3. THE SOURCE
What is the source of your creativity. Why you need to create. (internal)

4. THE MUSE
What inspires you. What gets you going. (external)

5. THE BLOCK
What blocks your creativity.

6. THE BLOCK AT WORK
What do you do instead of creating when having a block. What do you spend your time on.

7. THE PRICE
What you need to give up in order to pursue your Artist's path.

8. THE MONEY
Your view on making money and creativity.

9. NEXT STEP
What you need to do next, to make sure you walk where you choose...
------------------------------------------

As soon as I started reading this spread, I envisioned it as this. I am making some addition thoughts for changes with what others suggestions that I have read and considered too.

First item, due to your intent and how there is so many outlets for us as artist, I suggest naming it "Exploring Your Artistic Path". This would allow people to think in more varied ways of creativity, rather than just thinking paint and canvas. The world is our canvas and the lifes we touch, inspire become our gallery regardless of the medium we choose to use. Some are with healing, acting, writing, dance, with clay, and with paint.

I agree with "The Driving Force". What is the driving force of your creativity? That feeds the spring of your need to create?

Lastly, is what I referred to from the beginning, what I envisioned. I immediately saw even knowing as I read this spread applies to all artistic endeavors, I saw an Artist Palete.

*********3 ** 5******
******2********6****
**********4*********
****1*********7*****
******S*************
********9**8*******

I hope this lay-out shows as I mean for it to. Picture an artist palete. Where the "S" is would be the thumb support. If you do use a Significator card, allow it to be here, I personally don't see the need for it due to the other questions, but if you do use it, "What reflections of self has support my pursuits thus far?" would be a good use for this. Other-wise leave the "S" area blank. Follow the slanted oval palette shape with the lay-out. I place the Muse in the center. Reason being is this is where the action of the muse is first mingled with your creative juices and the medium. It is where inspiration and the practical meet and must blend. Creavity really flows here with making different hues, hues held by the Muse. :)

I can't wait to use your spread! Thank you for making it.

EminemsAngelBaby

Wow what a great spread. I saw it this morning and it's been with me all day. I can't wait to do it for myself. Looks like you're getting lots of good feedback:). I just had a couple of suggestions for questions/positions. I'd place them as 7 and 8 making it an 11 card spread altogether:

7. Focus During a block where can I place my focus to move through it with the work?

8. Potential What unique messsage do I as an individual desire to communicate through my _____( chosen medium)?

Can't see any reason why you're spread wouldn't work for all kinds of artists. I'm a dancer and these kinds of questions are right where I'm at. Thanks so much for posting your spread!!

Edited to add I'm with your friend. I like "The Driving Force"

M-Press

Ouaou!
thanks all for this GREAT feedback! (it feels just like the GOOD days at school!)

WISP WINGS-
You have found some buttons here... ;)
I have a feeling your language is so much better than mine... and if you say that "artistic" is less "canvas and paint" then I have to take it... I was also thinking to make it "Exploring your creative path"... but I really want to use the "Artist" word, since my deck (and especially book to come) will focus on that... Will sleep on it..

regarding the Artist Palette-it's amazing, becasue this is what i was calling the spread till recently...!
But, that remained a different spread, and I moved on to this one. The Artist's palette spread has some extra cards with colors, and it would be great, only I don't think that budget wise i can add them to the deck now, but I already have plans to solve this a bit later, and then the artist's palette spread (based on the chakras) will be there...
But knowing it just comes up, gives me a great feeling... It's one of those moments that you know that all is out there...waiting..

I also really appreciated how you spoke of the Muse. This is of course a whole other subject... and I have many questions on how the "driving force" and the "muse" are linked... For me for example, the drive is from inside but I need other's people company, to get it out... But someone else just gets inspired by looking at a beautiful landscape...

and maybe I should talk about FLOW too...
but then I really wanted then to keep this one simple, medium level of complexity, and to throw the rest in the book....
Ahhhh ah!

Your use of language btw, was definitely an inspiration!
Thanks!

M-Press

EminemsAngelBaby said:

7. Focus During a block where can I place my focus to move through it with the work?

8. Potential What unique messsage do I as an individual desire to communicate through my _____( chosen medium)?

EminemsAngelBaby, thanks for the ideas!
You sure have me thinking here...

I was trying to keep this spread as short as pissible, so it won't feel a chore to do it. Personally I love spreads up to 5 cards... But...

I will sleep on your number 7 (focus), maybe I should replace it with the "Block at work"?
OR, the focus should the the WORK itself, and in this case better to know what we do instead??
I think that too many cards on the blocks, awake negativity... better to talk about money!!!! ;)

Now, your number 8 (potential), is something I feel like calling "my unique offering"? Is that what you mean?
(I wonder what a 10 of swords would mean there...)
I DON"T KNOW WHY, but i feel as if this question, inspite how important and valuable it is, it can not be answered by a card.
i don't know why I say this, but one of thethings when designing the spread was, "what kind of an answer can I get..."

maybe I'm wrong, but you SURE have me thinking here, so I will...Thanks so much for this!

btw: What is my block at work (what I do when i don't create?--
ACE OF SWORDS!!!!

well...Now it ALL makes sense!!! ;)

edited to add: maybe the FOCUS, is actually the last card? the next step? Hm...

EminemsAngelBaby

Hi M-Press,
Ace of Swords hmmm? Your spread got me to thinking as well:).

I like The Block At Work. I think it's an interesting and useful thing to have in the spread.

By Focus I was looking for something the Artist could do in the moment(while they are painting, writing, acting, dancing.....) to help them work through the block and come out on the side. For example sometimes in dance you can get to far into your head when learning new choreography and "overthink" the moves. Too much of this, be it caused by a high pressure situation, performance anxiety, etc. can block you right there in the moment. A simple technique to unblock yourself is to allow the breath to fall deep down into the body which centers and grounds you. The movement than originates from the body, not the head, and happens natually and relaxed......you have moved beyond the block. I thought the cards may be able to offer advice specific to the individual to allow the artist to remain "in the moment" and at work.

Potential I think may be related to Driving Force. I know for myself there is a definite raw power that just comes out and makes me want to move. I've often been curious about what is at the root of this force and the deeper meaning it speaks of. What it is that I have to say?

At any rate these are the things I was thinking about as I pondered your spread today. I'm quite new to tarot so they may not be things answerable by the cards. I don't have much experience.

Thanks again for sharing the spread. It's wonderful:). By the way, have you ever heard of or read the book The Artists Way by Julia Cameron? I think you'd really enjoy it. I can totally see your spread being included in it if Julia ever got into Tarot:).

M-Press

EAB, it is NO accident that you are a dancer!!!!! ;) ;)

what makes me focus, or better brings me back to flow with my medium (visual arts), is actually...dancing!!!!

I still have to see how the cards can help bring this out though, not sure...

and, The Artist's way-sure! by by bed table!
In my book, it is a similar approach, but thru the Tarot! This is one of my fave topics (creativity), and I feel privileged to be able and spend so much time on it and make something new with it...

and I better go dance a song or two now...you know, infront of the mirror kind of thing, nothing grand...just to keep me flowing...
:)
thanks!!!!!!!

DeLani

I just did this spread this morning and wow - awesome.
Yet another suggestion, is to let each reader set the cards out in whatever way they wish, thereby opening them up to more creativity!
Thanks for this awesome spread.

Wisp Wings

I meant to get back to this thread yesterday, but here I am. :)

This is in reply to M-Press in regards to my take on her spread.

First, I would definitely keep at least the root word of "ART" in the title. I feel the word "Artistic" links all forms of creativity and largely is really used as another word meaning creativity. You, as the author of a Tarot deck are wanting something that for your buyers will be bridging this spread to your deck. If they buy your deck, learn the spread and keep it as part of their routinely used spreads, they will even years from now remember that this spread came with this deck. (By the way, thank you for your compliment on *inspiration*. I deeply see/hear art in visual as well as audio. We all do, and this is where both music and words, the words we use are made visual in our minds.)

I feel you would want to keep both "Exploring" and "Path" in the title as well, as they have a natural link. The mind on hearing these two words in a phrase thinks on seeking out the unknown, like plotting out uncharted territories. "Exploring" is current and on-going, its active. So it is delving. "Path" is where this exploring will lead, it is the journey. Personally, I would be keeping "Exploring" ( the active) and "Path" ( the designation) in the title. So "Exploring Your Artistic Path" sums this up perfectly. By the way associated phrases will bridge too in the mind, so "Artistic Expression", for one will even unconsciously come to mind. I think you'd be surprised what subconsciously with the person's direct art form, their own field terminology will be lurking.

Often it is hard to pinpoint exactly whether the Source at a given time is a Driving Force (intermal) or coming from a Muse. They oft coincide nearly simultaneously.

In regards to "flow", this is why I used:

" 'The Driving Force'. What is the driving force of your creativity? That which feeds the spring of your need to create?"
[The mind here thinks of a well-spring, that is bubbling forth and flowing. The drive is there. It, itself is constantly present, but we have to tap into it. We know the flow at times can be a small stream trickling out and at other times it gushes forth. We at times believe it has dried up. Its there!]

I here in quoting that added in the word "which". It should have been there in the other post, reading as, " 'The Driving Force'. What is the driving force of your creativity? That which feeds the spring of your need to create?" Also in the past post... "What reflections of self has support my pursuits thus far?" That needed to be "What reflections of self has supported my pursuits thus far?" (LOL, I don't proof self well. I hope all understand my mistakes as to what was meant.)

Lastly, because of how strongly this spread is going to connect to the Higher Self, I would include in the instructions to have both parties regardless if its the first or last spread of a reading, to ask that they both breathe deeply 3 or 4 times and then to let go, being totally relaxed, before starting this spread. It will only help to make it all the more powerful of a reading.

These are all just suggestions. Again it is a great spread and shows your use of artistic creativity!

M-Press

Thank you all for all the incredible suggestions and feedback! I really didn't expect that, and it shows me that this spread DOES connect, and I do manage to get my "message" through, and this feels great...as it it was worth all the time spent...

Thank you DeLani for trying it out-the only way to experience anything with Tarot, is hands-on!
I like the idea of doing your own shape, but I feel that when you have it in a book, written down, you better be specific... the creatives will do their thing anyway... (somehow, for me, I just do it in a line!-not too creative, but....fits the space infront of the computer!!!

Wisp Wings-
Thanks for taking the time to be so detailed in your feedback. You definitely cleared some of my doubts!
Now I also feel I have to insert in the "Higher-self" as well...it's so true...
When i speak of Flow, I'm refering to this term in the psychology of creativity, when you are so into creative activity, that time seems to not exist, and one feels "taken". It can happen when washing dishes too, by the way...And I just loved your poetic description of it, as the stream...

Anyway, all really interesting stuff, and all your feedback has just built my confidence... I don't see myself as a reader, but more as the artist, and I want my offering to be that of an Artist. I feel I have just awaken a new "profession", and it is so interesting to see how that will unfold.

Just for the record, I want to show how I see the difference between Driving Force and Muse.
My cards for:
"Driving Force": 4 of Pentacles
"Muse": 5 of Rods.

the 4 of Pentacles, shows me my need for attachment to my work, how I create out of security, and my difficulty in letting go. The release of my deck, in the wide public, is a major thing then. And by sharing let's say the spread with you, I'm "practicing". I'm learning to work on that attachment.

the 5 of Rods, as a Muse, shows me that I'm not the kind of person who creates alone, locked up in the studio, for weeeks. I need the PEOPLE to interact with, to communicate, and to share with-these are the things that get me "going".

This spread and the sharing of it, has been such an unexpected gift, with plenty of "FATE" in it.
Thank you...thank you...