Interesting TdM Mold

firemaiden

I am amazed looking at the mould, then looking at the cards, how much more detail is in the mould, and then I notice the cards bear traces of the fine detail too, it is covered over by the application of colour.

Major Tom

firemaiden said:
it is covered over by the application of colour.

That's the nature of colouring with a stencil in the manufacturing process. It amazes me that none of them thought about printing the woodblock on top of the stencilled colour.

If you've not done a stencil - I'd urge you to give it a go. You need a stencilling bruch with short stiff hair. ;)

Debra

Robert, I'm going to kidnap you and your computer and install you in our cellar as my main form of entertainment. (Promise or threat? You be the judge. ;) )

Any idea of the date of these "molds"? Can we find out more about them?

Dammit, where is our Woodblock Guy, OnePotato?

Le Marseillais

Kidnaping Offer Of Service

Debra wrote:

Robert, I'm going to kidnap you and your computer and install you in our cellar as my main form of entertainment. (Promise or threat? You be the judge. )

Any idea of the date of these "molds"? Can we find out more about them?

Dammit, where is our Woodblock Guy, OnePotato?

My comments:

Ha ! Ha! Ha! Robert you are living dangerously and you know what ? I today informs you that Debra is duly authorised to use MY Cellar in Marseille France as to keep you chained to my computer desk.

I will coock for both of you (my ex formal job) and will feed you with my Bio home made Marmelade (even if you are diabetic yes yes).

This "detention" period could be extended up to 15 days.
In a secret place of Marseille countryside...
Or may be in Chateau d'If in the cell of Comte de Monté Christo who is fee at this time. I can book it at Debra option. ;)

About this bloody molds, I have no more to say than what I wrote before on this thread: 18th century.

But for sure this mould is very interesting stuff and I will buy a copy of it via BNF Paris ASAP.

Woodblocks are definitly the roots of engraver intentions and an in deep examination is always valuable.

Cheers to all

Yves The Marseille Man

firemaiden

Thanks Le Marseillais, it is so fun to have you here. I once went to Marseille to sing an audition at the opera -- what a BEAUTIFUL city.

Since we are talking about card making, moulds and stencils, I thought I would post here, just for fun, a link to a website which has some beautiful engravings from Diderot's Encyclopedia showing how cards were made in the 18th century, it shows a work room in every stage of making the cards, and there is even an image of a stencil. Very interesting images!!

http://www.historicgames.com/gamemakers/cardmaking.html

OnePotato

Debra said:
.....Any idea of the date of these "molds"? Can we find out more about them?

......Dammit, where is our Woodblock Guy, OnePotato?

I don't know what you had in mind, but it looks like a pretty straightforward block, to me. (Technically speaking.)
I'm afraid I know more about woodblock "use" than historical analysis.
Robert has already said all of the interesting stuff...

I'd be curious to see if it is cut into the endgrain of the wood, or carved in a plank.

Obviously, it would be most interesting to see some actual cards that were printed from this block, but perhaps they are all gone. Though it looks like it's still in decent shape, probably quite a few prints were pulled. This calls to mind the Conver blocks, which have been flogged way, way past their prime, by quite a few hundreds of prints.

Debra

Yes. I was wondering if you could get a sense of the amount of use and/or age of the blocks. They look very "clean" to me.

thinbuddha

Excellent thread!

Excellent thread!

tmgrl2

Fascinating thread, le pendu!

I am going to print out pages 1 to 8...just to study it offline...it's easier, I believe to look at details....

then...maybe more.

The Noblet is so stunning!

terri

P.S. I forgot to return my printer settings to "color" so it will be interesting to just look at them in black,white and gray....