RwS : Strategic Stickers

Fulgour

Ace said:
Why don't you like the VIII and XI? any particular reason? do you use other decks where they are reversed?
Very fair question, and I hope I haven't given the impression that it's because I don't like VIII and XI that I cover them up on my Pamela Colman Smith Tarot decks.

The Golden Dawn fancied 1=0 for their mystical kabbalah magic, and that moved the order of the entire Tarot off by one.

It's long been known that Arty Waite switched these two cards so that Leo would match Strength (big Lion) and Libra would match Justice (lady with Scales and a Sword). It almost makes sense, and really does no harm, but it wasn't ever necessary, and Waite himself was rather smug about his reasons for doing it ~ he said it "would not signify" for him to say (we were too stupid to get it I suppose). Baloney!

Since the first numbered Tarot cards were printed, the order was VIII Justice and XI Strength, and for all of it, Libra is The Queen of Swords and Leo is The King of Wands, and in the proper order of the Zodiac, Waite's switch would give us the autumnal equinox in August. I cover them up to just forget all about it.

Rusty Neon

Fulgour said:
Since the first numbered Tarot cards were printed, the order was VIII Justice and XI Strength

In a recent discussion with you here on the boards, I mentioned that in the Jacques Viéville Tarot deck from the year 1643, Justice is numbered VII (Seven) and Strength is numbered IX (Nine). Therefore, IMHO, I wouldn't get all hung up on the Justice/Strength numbering issue. IMHO, there is no absolute rule that Justice is VIII and Strength is XI.

http://www.tarotpassages.com/vieville.htm

If it's a RWS deck, I would use Strength VIII and Justice XI like it's printed on the cards of that deck.

If it's a Marseilles deck, I would use Strength XI and Justice VIII like it's printed on the cards of that deck.

If it's a Viéville deck, I would use Strength IX and Justice VII like it's printed on the cards of that deck.

Vincent

Fulgour said:
"A picture is worth a thousand words," and we have 78.

If my opinions disagree with yours, continue to reject them.

What might be more interesting is, to say exactly why you have these opinions. Obviously they are not the product of any sort of evidence, otherwise you would have produced it.

I might have the opinion that the moon is made of green cheese, but simply having this opinion does not make it so, especially when there is so much evidence to believe otherwise.

Vincent

Vincent

Fulgour said:
Very fair question, and I hope I haven't given the impression that it's because I don't like VIII and XI that I cover them up on my Pamela Colman Smith Tarot decks.

The Golden Dawn fancied 1=0 for their mystical kabbalah magic, and that moved the order of the entire Tarot off by one.

According to whom?

And why should we accept their attributions rather than the GD system?

Fulgour said:

It's long been known that Arty Waite switched these two cards so that Leo would match Strength (big Lion) and Libra would match Justice (lady with Scales and a Sword). It almost makes sense, and really does no harm, but it wasn't ever necessary, and Waite himself was rather smug about his reasons for doing it ~ he said it "would not signify" for him to say (we were too stupid to get it I suppose). Baloney!

Firstly, it wasn't Waite that made this change, he was following the GD system. Secondly, if you are going to put quote marks around something you suggest Waite said, you really should be accurate. What he actually said was;

"For reasons which satisfy myself, this card has been interchanged with that of Justice, which is usually numbered eight. As the variation carries nothing with it which will signify to the reader, there is no cause for explanation."

Now if you believe that he was thinking that you were "too stupid to get it", nothing more remains to be said. However, most people who have read this book believe he was keeping the oaths he made during his GD initiation, and that this prevented him from revealing why the cards had been changed.

Fulgour said:

Since the first numbered Tarot cards were printed, the order was VIII Justice and XI Strength, and for all of it, Libra is The Queen of Swords and Leo is The King of Wands, and in the proper order of the Zodiac, Waite's switch would give us the autumnal equinox in August. I cover them up to just forget all about it.

This is just not true, but as someone else has corrected you, you can argue the point with them.

What does seem to be more of a problem is that you are insisting that there is only one correct attribution of Hebrew letters to Trumps, that there is only one correct attribution of astrological signs to cards, and, what is more you are foisting this 'correct' system on the Waite deck, which has its own well-documented system, and has no need of your 'corrections'.

If you are talking about Tarot in general, then it might be worth discussing, but if you are talking about Waite's Tarot specifically,(and in this forum, you should be) then there is no argument as to what the attributions are.

Vincent

Little Baron

Back to the original subject - if it works for you, cover up what you like and make the deck truely your own. It wouldn't work for me, but we are all individuals and there's no rules about how we read from our cards or what we choose to achknowledge or ignore from the pcitures. Go for it, if it feels right for you.

Yaboot

Fulgour

viva la marseille

Rusty Neon said:
If it's a RWS deck, I would use Strength VIII and Justice XI like it's printed on the cards of that deck.
Fair enough, and with your kind regards and
Yaboot001's sentiments, we can return this to an Oasis thread
(rather than Polemic) and have a chuckle over my putting
Canadian stickers on Anglo-American cards printed in Belgium.

Little Baron

Thats right Fulgour; you put your stickers wherever you want to put them.

I would like to add that in the main, the boards here are lighthearted, regardless of how intense the debate may be, and for one, whether I agree or disagree with others opinions, whether they have more knowledge or less than I do, I treat them with manners and respect.

Just thought I would highlight that; it's good to remind ourselves occasionally.

Yaboot

Diana

Re: viva la marseille

Fulgour said:
Fair enough, and with your kind regards and
Yaboot001's sentiments, we can return this to an Oasis thread
(rather than Polemic) and have a chuckle over my putting
Canadian stickers on Anglo-American cards printed in Belgium.

French Canadian stickers, or English Canadian stickers? :eek:

Rusty Neon

If a list member makes a post making a statement as a historical fact, it certainly is fair (and in the best interests of everyone) for others to add historical clarifications, for the benefit of the list member and those who may otherwise read the list member's post.

Fulgour

histrionicstickerz

Diana said:
French Canadian stickers, or English Canadian stickers? :eek:
:eek: yang yin over 8 and 11, a star over 0, and sun and moon stickers ove b and j. :eek: