8 yr old daughter wants a deck

prettypiscesmom

Forgot to add...

Taamar.... I agree about shadowscapes....not sensual at all & honestly it doesn't bother me as far as just a topless female or male. we have a lot of art books in our house that she has looked at & there is nudity.... However, I know she will want to show her friends and such... so I figured it best to have no nudity & nothing too dark...

Roseanne... I love that magical forest deck....

Moonbow

My daughter started with the Moon Garden:

Tarot of a Moon Garden

It follows the RWS system and has lots of symbolism so although it is the ideal children's deck for when she is young, and its also one to grow into once she starts to get into the symbolism more.

Kenshin Gordon

The Prediction Tarot would be another choice, very tranquil and healing imagery.

Moonchild1721

I second both the Whimsical Tarot and the Hanson-Roberts. I have both, and my 10 year old cousin makes a bee line for those when she comes over!
Samantha

jackdaw*

Another good point for the Hanson-Roberts is its smaller size for smaller hands. With that in mind, a pocket sized deck (like the Pocket Universal) might be a good way to go.

If she likes your Sweet Twilight, maybe the Fey would be an option as well?

AnneLien

Hanson Roberts Tarot
Whimsical Tarot
Faerie Tarot
Inner Child Cards Tarot

Orenda

The Mythic Tarot is an interesting first deck, and has a workbook which she can use to colour each card offered as an outline -- connecting her with the cards in an interesting way!

Deck to view here,
Workbook review on OpenLibrary site found here,
AND
Review thread on workbook in our forums found here ;)

witchychris

My 9 year old daughter really likes her Tarot of a Moon Garden. Had I been choosing for her I would probably have chosen a more obviously child friendly deck such as Magical Forest, or Gummy Bears but we looked through the catalogues with her and she was really drawn to the Tarot of a Moon Garden.
That said my 7 year old son loves his Gummy Bears tarot and my wife's Magical Forest.

Amanda

prettypiscesmom said:
ETA: Amanda.... how cute are those fantasy ones??? Might have to get those as well... can't beat the price.... She is a competition dancer... what a fun thing to take while traveling...

I just got them today and they are well-worth the price (probably a little more actually). They're actually pretty sturdy cards, they're the size of playing cards, and you get 53 of them. There is a "wild" type of card in there to ask yes/no questions, and there is quite a few cute little games outlined in the instructions... and I like the "fortune-telling layout" so much, I might have to give it a try with one of my own decks. :D

Oh and it has 4 suits like playing cards too- diamonds, clubs, spades and hearts. It has a little more substance than I thought it would. :thumbsup: But it's totally cute... I think it'll be a nice little introduction for my daughter. :)

prettypiscesmom

Amanda.... Thank you for the follow up : ) I just ordered some for her, although they will be put up (before she sees them) until later...

And, we have made a decision.......... drumroll please..........

We are going with the "Whimsical Tarot"....

I sat her down with me to look at images on the computer.... She completely and totally "lit up" when she saw the whimsical deck... It was such a beautiful moment. "Mom!!! There's puss in boots, I love him! Mom, it's the three men in the tub!!"

We are avid readers in this house.... and I read all those stories to her, She, in turn reads them to her 6yo little sister...

it was touching to see her make such a connection.... That being said, she has made a wish list (before she even has the whimsical deck) of the other decks she wants... lol

again... Thanks to all for the suggestions.... there are quite a few I'd like to add to MY collection....

love and light...