Golden Tarot

lunakasha

Lee said:
I have a question about the Death card...

On Kat's site, the card has a skull at the top of the card, with long bones emanating from it like a spider's legs, or bat wings.

On facade.com, the card is missing the skeleton figure at the top, but instead, there is a hooded skeleton standing on the right side of the card, looking down at the woman.

What's on the printed card?

Thanks --
Lee

Hi Lee!

On the printed card, it is the skull at the top, with spider legs (or bat wings) coming down underneath it.....

So.....when are you getting yours, hmmmmm????
No pressure of course ;)

:) Luna

Emily

I too keep seeing this deck and its only a matter of time before I go ahead and buy it lol - I've waited to see if the novelty of having a deck that is a Rider Waite clone but couldn't be more different in the artwork would wear off but it hasn't. Also its not the kind of deck I usually go for but each time I see it, it grows on me more and I know I could read with it - its a comfortable deck to look at.

Methinks maybe forget about the choccie egg at Easter and treat myself to this deck instead. :D

lunakasha

Emily said:
I too keep seeing this deck and its only a matter of time before I go ahead and buy it lol - I've waited to see if the novelty of having a deck that is a Rider Waite clone but couldn't be more different in the artwork would wear off but it hasn't. Also its not the kind of deck I usually go for but each time I see it, it grows on me more and I know I could read with it - its a comfortable deck to look at.

Methinks maybe forget about the choccie egg at Easter and treat myself to this deck instead. :D

LOL Emily!

It will last a lot longer...and won't end up on your thighs! :D

:) Luna

Emily

Hi Lunakasha,

You know Easter's not that far away - I bet if I ordered it now it would be here just in time. :D - Well might be a little early but oh well lol

Lee

lunakasha said:
Hi Lee!
On the printed card, it is the skull at the top, with spider legs (or bat wings) coming down underneath it.....
So.....when are you getting yours, hmmmmm????
No pressure of course ;)
Thanks, Luna! Soon... :)

-- Lee

retrokat

death alternatives...

Hi Lee!

I did two versions of the Death card, and opinion amongst my friends & family was divided so I left it to the publishers to choose - they went with my preferred, which is the bat-wingy one in the sky. I wasn't so keen on the Grim Reapery one, but it was (slightly) more RWS, and this is one card that looks structurally so different from RWS I guess I was thinking maybe there should be some element of RWS in there? But USGS chose to go with the other one, so I'm happy.

The Death card is one that my personal feelings about the meaning of the card didn't really tie in with the RWS original. I wanted something more peaceful, more positive. When I first saw the "Death Of Mary" pic that forms the central part of my design, I knew that was what I was after. An accepting, lived-a-good-life-and-ready-to-go kind of death, not an indiscriminate and violent death, which is the feeling I've always got from the RWS Death card.

My reasons are probably very personal, and like all my cards, I'm a little surprised when my little personal tangents away from RWS are in a direction that also means something to others. I hope that works for this card, as I accept that it one of the least RWS cards in the deck and I don't want to affect the readability of the deck.

darwinia

Finally

It's finally here and I get to pick it up tomorrow. I screamed when she phoned me to tell me it was in. Wow, I started this thread in 2002, a lifetime ago, and when everyone started talking about receiving the deck I resolved to wait for several more weeks because delivery takes longer here.

I spent years when I was a kid withdrawn and lost in history books and medieval art. I suppose we carry the person we used to be all our lives, and this little girl lost in history is very happy indeed at the studying and challenge to intellect this deck inspires.

What a great thing to create and see come to fruition Kat. We need artists and people of action in the world.

Thanks! Best to you always and in all endeavours.

Savoyali

*gets in line for The Gushing*

Oh Kat, they're so beautiful! My TarotGarden package arrived last night and I've been waxing lyrical about them all day to anyone who will listen :laugh:

The Queen Of Wands just blows my mind; she is not my soul or personality card or attributable to me in any other way, but I have a feeling that she is what I aspire to be, so I've been looking out for her in every new deck I've come across in my comparatively short history of Tarotphilia. The one in the Golden Tarot is simply amazing, such red, so energetic and...well, wands-y I guess.

Also, I could just kiss you for putting a man on the Nine Of Swords, and a second person in the Five Of Cups, I think it's brilliant. And the collage work is just...wow. You flipped the guy in the Seven Of Wands' body and messed with his arms, and removed a brooch :laugh:

The full references are such a treat. I spent ages today going through them, first checking out pictures in the online gallery and having way too much fun figuring out what you'd done to/with them, then writing out a list of the paintings that are a mere 20 minute tube ride away from me (so expect to find me wandering the Alte Pinakothek soon with my list clutched to me, oohing and aahing over minute details in Bouts paintings until they call the men in the white sneakers to take me away :laugh: ). Excuse me, I think my geek is showing.

Now if I can get myself to give them a shuffle (*gasp* think what it could do to the gilt edges!)... Once I've figured out a way to shuffle them reeeeeaaaally carefully, I expect they'll be great to read with. Everytime I look at them my mind just goes "Whoosh! Look, perfect past lives deck!" :D

Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful works of art with us, Kat!

P.S.: See that? Three :laugh:s in a single post! The Glee is just running rampant in this house right now!

retrokat

I'm so jealous!

Oh Savoyali,

You get to visit some of the real paintings - you lucky person! I've been thinking I should start up a Golden Tarot Tour section on my website, listing cities and which paintings are there. Locals such as yourself could send in their stories, photos etc so we could put together a detailed itinerary for the Tour.

Perhaps one day I can even do the Tour myself! I've only seen a handful of my sources in real life myself so far (mostly in London) - Can't wait to go to Italy especially. So many paintings in one country...

Also, I'm hoping to start work on my next deck some time soon, so a trip to Europe would be great for my research. My partner & I are thinking we could also make a "Making Of..." film on digital video, sort of a travelogue, showing all the elements in their original contexts.

Maybe in a few years, if sales of Golden go well enough to pay for a few months in Europe... (dream, dream...)

ScarabFlight

Yay! I'm glad I didn't have to wait for two years! I had enough trouble waiting the two weeks! lol I finally got my copy and it's gorgeous!! I know what you mean about shuffling Savoyali, I may need to get another deck that I can keep pretty because I can tell I'm probably going to use this one alot. :) This is the first deck that has spoken to me and that I have really felt connected with.

I was so excited and impressed with this deck that mere hours after bringing it home I went out and found another one for my sister-in-law. It's probably a good idea that I don't have too many friends into tarot because I would probably feel the need to buy it for everyone!! (Sorry Kat, if I were rich...)

I just want to thank Kat for such a beautiful and inspiring deck! So thank you soooooooooo (10 o's should be enough;) ) much for all of your hard work and the resulting wonderful deck. The only problem is that my old decks, well, they just don't seem as exciting anymore. lol

Enough gushing for now.

P.S. Kat, I loved your Golden Tarot and your *fork-you* sites! :D