Seven of Swords

caridwen

What do you think it means when the impression you give someone is the RWS Seven of Swords?

Any insight on this would be appreciated:)

Fulgour

Rational Self-Interest

I tried "adopting" this as "my" card for awhile,
to try and gain as much positive insights as
might be there. 7 & Swords go well together,
but Pamela Colman Smith may've been trying
to depict a "stock character" from the stage,
and it's hard to get past that crazy costume.

I finally decided, he's earned those 5 Swords,
and has left 2 behind as a kind of investment.

Apollonia

The basic meaning I fall back on with the Seven of Swords is "doing the unexpected." But sometimes I see the character as the swordmaker, who didn't get paid for all 7 swords, so he sneaks into the camp and takes back the 5 he didn't get paid for. Sometimes I view it that he is going to play what he thinks is an innocent and humorous practical joke on his friends--but what if they have a sudden battle to deal with, and no weapons? So the joke goes horribly wrong, with unintended grave results that could have been avoided with some clear thinking, impulse control, and being able to project the consequences of his actions. Sometimes I see it as the ability to pick up one's marbles and go home. Depends on the circumstances and the other cards.

poivre

I always feel that this card shows someone withholding information for
control in a relationship of some kind.
Mind games for the time being.
Not explaining what they are thinking.
Using strategy to get what they want.

Cascade

a risk taker

But a calculating risk taker, with concealed thoughts. Someone who doesn't give the full story. He leaves two swords.

He looks cocky because he's gotten away with something. In spite of the animated conversation going on at the end of the camp, he's managed to sneak in and grab 5 of the 7 swords, and get away with them. By the blades, no less. Like capturing the flag in a war game.

Or maybe he's a person who enjoys revenge. Those were the swords taken from the defeated in the 5? Vengeful, with his own set of ethics. The other two swords weren't theirs so he left them?

Thirteen

Sneaky or honest?

Coatl said:
sometimes I see the character as the swordmaker, who didn't get paid for all 7 swords, so he sneaks into the camp and takes back the 5 he didn't get paid for.
I like this interpetation. It's a very fresh take on the card and I think it really emphasizes the essense of it. This is a card about being sneaky--either someone being sneaky to you, or you trying to be sneaky in order to get certain desired results. The problem is, sneakiness on the other person's part is going to cause you problems. And sneakiness on YOUR part...well, it's not going to feel right.

That doesn't mean it isn't right. Sometimes you have to go through the back door as our Swordmaker here. He deserved to be paid, he wasn't, and well, how else can he make his point? Sometimes, this card actually urges the querent to be sneaky rather than straightforward and honest, because being honest isn't going to work.

Other times...it warns you, as Coatl says, that someone is sneaking around you and it's all going to end badly...so watch out!

Fulgour

Tooth-fairy

Weired but... maybe he's a kind of Good Sword Fairy,
and like how Santa never leaves you the whole bag~
he's stood a pair of Swords for the campers to find...
and so happily scampers off to delight other kiddies?

After all :) Life is Good!

firemaiden

In addition to the idea of going behind someone's back, sneakiness, etc, there is also the notion of "cunning", of using intelligence to get what you want, being creative, and "going around" a problem, instead of trying to bash through it.

Cascade

Honesty doesn't pay

So this card is not actually a "thief" card? It's more about manipulation for a cause you think is just? It must be mental nanipulation is necessary because of the swords. I once had this card come up in a reading I interpreted as plagarism. Never thought sneaky could be good. So to catch a thief, you sometimes have to think like a thief. New depth, Thanks Thirteen

Ace

I have always seen it as a Thief card, but not necessarily of swords or property. The Robin Wood deck thief always looked like Vincent from Beauty and the Beast (and NOT Ron Perlman either!) so I saw it as a Thief of Hearts. Manipulative is a way of putting it. I like this!
Ace