Tarot and Psychology

GryffinSong

<surprised> What, get them to do the reading? What are you there for? Why not just give them a deck and have done with it? I'm genuinely surprised.

I often start a reading in just this way. It's the beginning of a conversation, and getting their impressions gets them involved in the reading, and often gets their own intuition and knowing kicked into high gear. I start with their first impressions, we talk about them, and then I give them my take, or additions. It becomes a conversation, and in my opinion, is much more deeply satisfying than sitting back and having someone else tell me what's what (or vice versa).

But I'm not paid for it, and I prefer an active, engaged querant to an audience where I'm to simply tell them about their life.

Different approaches, different styles, different people.

nisaba

, and I prefer an active, engaged querant to an audience where I'm to simply tell them about their life.
So do I. But I use my skills, not theirs, and the dialogue commences on that basis.

Barleywine

I often start a reading in just this way. It's the beginning of a conversation, and getting their impressions gets them involved in the reading, and often gets their own intuition and knowing kicked into high gear. I start with their first impressions, we talk about them, and then I give them my take, or additions. It becomes a conversation, and in my opinion, is much more deeply satisfying than sitting back and having someone else tell me what's what (or vice versa).

But I'm not paid for it, and I prefer an active, engaged querant to an audience where I'm to simply tell them about their life.

Different approaches, different styles, different people.

I'm one who uses a Significator for the querent, so part of the fun is engaging them in the selection of the "right" card for that purpose. I also engage them during the reading to help steer it in the most revelatory direction as it develops, especially if there is any ambiguity present. I have no compulsion to give them a "Memorex moment" (you know, where their ears are pinned back by the gales of wisdom blasting from my lips). It is, as has often been said here, their reading, not mine.

Minotauro

<surprised> What, get them to do the reading? What are you there for? Why not just give them a deck and have done with it? I'm genuinely surprised.

XD haha not always but if Im drawing a blanck with a card I just asked what do they think the people in the card are doing, it is ussualy enlightening most of the times they see things that are aprently completly unrelated to the image XD and then I tell them what that card means and interpret it with the rest of the spread. but if they suddently wanted to read for themselves that'd be ok for I have only read for friends, and some of them are scared so when it happens it takes the bad hu-hu out of it , and they feel excited and make sthe reading much more fun for them and aplicable to theuir lives =P

maybe Im wrong in doing it but ... I dont know ._.

I feel weird just talking and telling them what everything means etc...

it is just much more fun n.n and sometimes what they say really does have a lot to do with the reading

The crowned one

Rorschach ink blots really is not in use much anymore. They are very structured, given in a specific order and orientation. Response times are noted and usually every word you say recorded and later analyzed.

I love this quote by Anastasi :"The only thing the inkblots do reveal is the secret world of the examiner who interprets them. These doctors are probably saying more about themselves than about the subjects."

Lets remember it looks for abnormalities in personality of individuals, not solutions or paths, nor does it divine the future. Nothing like tarot at all.

Mi-Shell

I am an RN and Jungian analyst via training and education, but work as a shaman/ healer with a diverse client base.
When helpful I use Tarot and Oracle cards with clients/ patients.

Minotauro

If indeed one was to use Tarot spreads in clinical work, this one is one of the the worst examples possible and more dangerous than helpful to self or a potential client!

hjahah yes someone on that thread alrey said it actually :p

euripides

hjahah yes someone on that thread alrey said it actually :p

Yes... psychology isn't about "what's my disorder. how do I fix it". It's far more complex than that.

Also, regarding the comments about getting the querent to just read for themselves - remember this is about using Tarot as a psychological assessment and therapy tool, NOT about 'doing a reading'. So I'd suggest there are a myriad of ways to approach it. Bear in mind that many of us don't use Tarot as a divinatory tool - I for one don't feel that the cards are going to give my any special insight into a person all by themselves. It's about what we can discover together through the archetypal images.