Deck of 1000 Spreads—New Spreadcrafting Tool

ctrymaus

If I had done one end only, I may have gone the none permanent route. Seeing as I have used both ends, I have use permanent marker. They were positions I would not hesitate in using so felt confident to go ahead.

Still have one blue card left if some other flash of inspiration hits.

Ah, okay! I was just looking around at washi tape...

CountryMouse

schmedrake

Wow, Shadowdancer! It sounds like you're going for extra credit!

If you feel like sharing the position names, please do. I'm keeping a list of things in case we ever do a completer deck. :)

So glad it's given you so much enthusiasm. If you go to the deck's web page, you'll find a few more (brilliant) ways to use the deck, thanks to Lee and a couple of others. :)

shadowdancer

Sure I don't mind sharing :)

Character card additions:
Supporters / Antagonists

Topic additions:
Motive or motivation / Change

Outcome additions:
Alternative ending / Next step following completion

Timing additions:
Signposts for timing of action / Fire or Ice (signifying whether to be proactive or whether to delay etc)

Influence additions:
Strength of energy on issue (whether influence is passive, aggressive, minor, major etc) / Strength of energy on outcome (May indicate if the outcome is more cemented or if it is somewhat precarious etc)

I used the question/clarifier spread cards just now to look at my day and my initial workings with this book and deck. I realised my explanation of using a card to ask a question probably confused the heck out of everyone, so have explained it more below by way of an example.

Question card: Temperance
"How will I find a natural state of balance with this system within my current reading regime?"

I thought about this, and it will be a case of taking those bits that feel right and natural and blending them into my current systems. It should fit quite nicely.

Clarifyer: Wheel of Fortune
"What may cause me to throw a wheel, and perhaps be derailed from using these cards or any of the suggestions?"

I think it will be a seasonal thing (the deck used was the Wheel of Year), and I may go through states of hibernation where it is not used, and then a few months later feel totally energised and really dive in. This reminds me that I do sometimes feel the effects of SADS, and this may be the case with the deck. I have to also remember, if it feels difficult, I am just at the stage on the wheel where I am climbing upwards and not quite there yet. Given time and perseverance I can sit pretty at the top and feel relaxed and confident.

Lee

So, the question card can be used to highlight the issue of the reading, if for example, the client didn't have a specific question, or did not know what to focus on with ther reading.

However, it could also be used to open the reading with a question within the question (if that makes sense.....)
Example: Someone asking about a relationship, and why they haven't got a boyfriend as they want to get married, and were always single or in short term relationships. The question card was the 7 of cups, so it could be saying "What is it you are looking for in your ideal partner?" and the clarifier, being the 6 of wands could be "If you find the right person, what would be the sense of achievement for you?"
I am sure I can come up with something a bit clearer by way of explanation, but the potential to use the first drawn tarot card to pose the question for the remainder of the reading is most definitely there. This takes it beyond seeing the tarot card being the gist of the overall theme. So instead of saying to the client she had some choices or options she could consider (very generic) a very pertinent question was
Great idea! I'm going to try that.

schmedrake

Those are great suggestions, Shadowdancer! *placing them in my file*

shadowdancer

I have finished off the final blank card, as they are titles I often use for daily readings.
One end is 'expect', the other end is 'reflect'

Tierney, just a thought here (and it is just a thought), if you were to have another add on pack in the future (which I have fingers crossed for), would there be any mileage in another section for character or personality traits?

Sometimes a key way forward is to be aware of traits they are showing or to perhaps show a trait that would be beneficial to consider adopting.
Some I have used in the past have included:
Personal area for development
Greatest strength
Trait to adopt if change is to happen
Attribute you have that may be stifling or undermining an issue

I am sure some of these are already possible within the cards you already have, but it just struck me as an area that could have its own section in a way. It is not just a straight forward person card, but from personal current experiences, I know my personality traits have come to the fore and had an effect on the situation developments. And my partner has been very good at making me realise they help or hinder. (At the moment, hinder :) ) I know what I should be doing, what the advice is, what the influences are etc. But it is often possible to go about it the wrong way due to how we come across. Hope this makes sense anyways. And it is only a thought here - not a request or anything. I can see myself using a 'trait to consider' card or two next to any of the orange cards. It may refer to me (if the orange card was the you card) or may highlight the trait of another that once highlighted, can be approached in a proactive way.

In the meantime, I know I am going to have a bunch of fun with this deck :)

schmedrake

That's interesting, Shadow. I have to think some of those things through. One of my main priorities would be to get an astrological spread in the next deck, for example. And there are a few other ideas along those sort of "specialty" lines. Then I want to accommodate the idea of Choice #2 and Choice #2. And then some of your other suggestions and a list I've been keeping...the deck is getting large...haha. But those are good ideas and I'm going to keep writing down what people suggest. Then if this ever happens, I'll sit down with everything and see what's what.

This initial deck was "easy" in that I really just wanted to cover the kind of positions you find in most classic spreads, with a few extra things to throw in. Not that that was easy...I did a lot of poking around and consolidation, but I had parameters. But any completer deck would have looser parameters. Now, if you consider that something like "trait to adopt before change can happen" can be covered by "Advice" or "What I Can Change" or some other "surrogate"....those are the things I'd be noodling over to see what would make a final cut. My thought with using surrogate cards is that it's easy to remember that the "What I Can Change" card is really intended to be "What I Need to Do Before Change Happens" if you only have to do that with one or two cards, you know? Without some sort of surrogate logic, the options are literally endless.

In the initial workshop I did for this deck, I had people lay out a spread, except one of the positions in the spread did not have a corresponding spread card. It was "What's About to Develop". And I told them they had to choose from the purple cards. I thought it was so clear they'd choose the Immediate Future card. I mean, right? But some chose Future Life, some chose What to Use in the Future, some chose Future. So that told me that people kind of have their own filing system when it comes to these surrogate cards. And thinking of the spread cards in these more abstract ways really extends what you can do with just this first pack, you know?

So anyway, that's a long way of saying I'm writing it all down and probably won't make all the right choices in the end...haha. But that a lot of what is "missing" can be found in surrogate cards, and I've even written some of those key words on them (like in Heart of the Situation, I made sure to use "root" in the description, since that card is sometimes referred to as such.)

schmedrake

And I also want to say, I'm really appreciating the input. This is something that really hasn't been done or thought through before and I don't have all the answers.

I'd love a day when every tarot deck owner also owned the Deck of 1000 Spreads...like it was "just the way things are done", you know? I know that's an ambitious dream and it will take time to see if this really catches on. But if it does, I want to be at peace in knowing that it was something that, despite flaws here and there, was really designed smartly.

Kathy123

Got my copy this week!

Looking forward to jumping into the book and cards this weekend!!

shadowdancer

I have used the deck twice now, with readings at AT. If you want to see the spreads and how they related to the questions, pop over to the readings exchange.

So far, I have liked working with it. I realised using a card to pose the question is not something that will always be relevant. But a useful tool to have in the box just in case.

The card size seems good. The two decks used were both trimmed, but they were not dwarfed in anyway by the spread position cards.

Anyone else working with them yet?

Davina