Tarot Books Index - Discussion and Books to Add

rwcarter

This is the discussion thread for the Tarot Books Index at the top of the Tarot Books & Media forum.

This thread should be used to discuss the following topics:
  • errors in the index (typos, incorrect author or publisher, wrong data, etc.)
  • changes or additions to the category/categories listed for a book
  • changes or additions to the deck illustration list
  • additional ISBN info

Any comments outside of the above may be removed from this thread by the moderator(s). Questions about a particular book or about a particular category of book should be asked in other threads.

The first pass at the index was based on the books in my own personal library. I already had most of the information already cataloged, but managed to gather the rest of it in a very short period of time, so I'm sure I missed things and/or made mistakes.

I know the following potential problems exist:
  • where two ISBNs were listed, I only recorded the first one
  • sometimes the ISBN listed on the back of a book is different than what's listed inside the book (I discovered that by chance ~ 2/3 of the way through and wasn't going to start all over again)
  • some books share the same ISBN as the set which they're a part of, while some books have separate ISBNs; because of the bullet above, I may have the ISBN of the set listed for a book that should have a separate ISBN
  • I know I wasn't consistent in listing Publisher or Category
  • in order for me to include the deck as being used for illustrating a book, that deck had to be used at the very least for all the Majors or all the Minors
  • I thumbed through all the books to determine whether they included reversed meanings, discussed symbology (in general or that used in the book), included spreads and included sample readings so it's quite likely that I missed some of that info or typo'd it when I entered the data into my spreadsheet

This thread should also be used to provide information on books to add to the index. When posting with info on a new book to add to the index, please include the following info:
  • Title
  • Author(s)
  • Publisher
  • ISBN(s)
  • Category/Categories
  • Publication Date
  • Deck(s) Used for Illustration
  • Whether Reversals are discussed in the book
  • Whether Symbology is discussed in the book
  • Whether the book includes Spreads
  • Whether the book includes Sample Readings

I will add the new books into the index in the appropriate places on a regular basis. While I started the index and will do the upkeep on it, this is an AT community resource, and as such it's up to the members of AT to make sure that the index is as correct and comprehensive as it can be. So start looking through your own personal libraries and provide info on books that aren't already included. Even if a book is included and you have a different version of it (based on ISBN), please provide that info because it might be useful to some purchasing a used book.

Rodney

rwcarter

I've started the Index thread here and included the books I labeled as Advanced. Over and above whether or not you agree with my choice of category, I'm looking for feedback on whether folks like the layout of the information. I've listed the info as follows:

Title
AuthorLast, AuthorFirst (and AdditionalAuthorName(s))
Publisher, PublicationDate
ISBN

Before I invest a lot of time formatting the data, I want to make sure the format is useful.

Thanks,
Rodney

rwcarter

Well, the first iteration of the Tarot Books & Media Forum Index is up. It's now a sticky Note at the top of the forum, and it's as populated as it's going to be until other folks start providing data to add to it.

And since I'm pretty literally :bugeyed: right about now, I hope folks will understand if it takes me a few days to make any changes or additions. (The baby is born and I need time to recover. :))

Rodney

rwcarter

Hi Scion,

I'm sure I missed many books since this first iteration is based solely on books in my own collection. But thanks for the lead.

Rodney

philebus

I'd like to suggest a few from my own collection:

The Game of Tarot
by Michael Dummett and Sylvia Mann
Duckworth
ISBN 0 7156 10147
Games & Reference

A History of the Games Played With The Tarot Pack (2 volumes)
by Michael Dummett and John McLeod
Edwin Mellen Press
Volume One ISBN 0 7734 6447 6
Volume Two ISBN 0 7734 6449 2
Games & Reference

The Penguin Book of Card Games
By David Parlett
Penguin
ISBN-10: 0141037873 ISBN-13: 978-0141037875
Games

A Wicked Pack of Cards
By Ronald Decker, Thierry Depaulis & Michael Dummett
St Martin’s Press
ISBN 0 312 16294 4
Reference

A History of the Occult Tarot 1870-1970
By Ronald Decker and Michael Dummett
Duckworth
ISBN 0 7156 3122 5
Reference

rwcarter

philebus,

Thanks for those additions! I'll get them added in the next couple of days.

Rodney

rwcarter

philebus,

Sorry for the delay in getting your submissions added, but that's been done now. If you have (or anyone else has) any other submissions, please post here and I'll get them added.

The same holds true for corrections or additions to existing entries to the Index.

Thanks,

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Tarot Books & Media

missycab

I have two books to add. One is a tarot book, in Spanish, and the other one is an old book (also in Spanish) about the history of alchemy (useful for symbolism, and also because the last chapter explains the fool's journey with alchemy).

Interpretar el Tarot
by Laura Tuan (translated by María Angels Pujol i Foyo)
Editorial De Vecchi, Barcelona, Spain
ISBN: 84-315-2402-2
Deck used for illustration: tarocchi italiano (Milano, 1845)
Category: meanings
Symbolism: little explanation
Spreads: yes (16 spreads)
No sample readings.

La Alquimia (original title: Die Königliche Kunst)
by Reinhard Federmann (translated by R. Ibero)
Editorial Bruguera, Barcelona, Spain.
ISBN: 84-02-00672-8
Category: Reference

rwcarter

Thanks missycab!

It'll prob be Thurs of Fri before I have a chance to add them to the index. I wonder if I should put non-English language books in a different color?

rwcarter, co-moderator of Tarot Books & Media