5 decks to use for a year

mrpants

Juniper, thanks for the link! Starlightexp, beautiful work!

Annabelle

Hmm. Five decks for a whole year, huh?

1. Legacy of the Divine. This one would be a must for me. It's my go-to reading deck. Clear, beautiful, evocative, not-overly-busy -- it just always works.
  2. Crowley Thoth. I'm not usually all that into reading with the Thoth, but it is just so incredibly beautiful. I'd want to take it along purely because I like looking at it.
  3. RWS. Because at some point during the year, I know I'd want to use it -- for a reading, or for study, etc. It's a classic, and I like it and know it well. It's like comfort food -- but as if the plate had no bottom, and there was always something new to discover and enjoy.
  4. Either the Alice tarot or the Tarot of Prague from Baba Studios. Either one of these would give me that pop of beauty and elegance and magic that, at some point during the year, I would crave.
  5. Nothing else comes to mind. I think I'd be all set with just 4.

Morwenna

Wow! I had no idea that my you tube question was making the rounds over here too! I have been pretty busy lately, so I haven't been on any forums or uploading videos.

There are some really interesting and varied responses here and a few decks I haven't heard of too.
I also find it interesting that many people are struggling with that fifth and final choice. I deliberately didn't do the whole 'if your house was on fire' scenario because I know how much anxiety that causes people but it seems it's still a pretty stressful question to answer.

Thank you for all of your responses to this. It's been so much fun hearing everyone's views.
:)

Yes, I answered this question differently from the way I would if my house was on fire! If your "babies" are safe at home, you can be free to take a different group, maybe something you want to spend more time with but never give yourself the chance.

MissChiff

Well I rolled around in bed last night.... I would need to take two more decks... Tarot of the Holy Light... And the Hermetic... Now I feel better... Gave me the colds sweats....😬

LoneSheWolf

I think it's quite fitting that my first ever comment here in the forums is on this post. Starting as I mean to go on!

1. Stella's Tarot (my home deck)
2. Wild Unknown (my tell-it-to-me-straight deck)
3. Mary-El (my healing deck)
4. Shadowscapes (my comfort food deck)
5. Golden Tarot (Kat Black) or Nigel Jackson (both new and need to be played with)

So happy to have found this place :)

Tanga

:)

1) Gendron Tarot (old favourite that was my "The One" deck when I 1st started out)
2) Parallel Worlds Tarot (light, modern with twist, has Thoth labels at the bottom. ;) )
3) Barbieri Tarot (For magick and Ritual. It's one of my designated magick decks)
4) The Tarot of the Night (Dark and self-reflective)
5) Dame Fortune's Wheel (I find the colours calming - so it's a "healing" deck. It's has older/more historical style imagery, so a good one for history study).

(ofcourse - there'd be cheating with the decks I have on my smart phone... :) :)
So - I'd have more than 5 - just only 5 would be physical ones).

Little_Bear

A little stressful of a question still, but a fun question! Thank you for inspiring the discussion Little_Bear and to GlitterNova for bringing it here.

I've yet to post, but it's been rolling around in my head as I try to figure out what decks I would take. Indeed my answer would be different if it were to include decks that I have yet to own, but would really like to have and get to know over the coming year. And my list would also look different if it were to include oracle decks (there are certain oracle decks I couldn't stand to be without). But out of the Tarot decks I have at the moment:

1. Thoth (I'd take both my large and small copy as a bundle, but if I really could only take one, then it would be the large)
2. Shadowscapes
3. The Wild Unknown
4. Morgan-Greer
5. Paulina

ETA: I had to edit my list after realizing I wouldn't want to leave behind the Morgan-Greer! & again after deciding I'd rather take Paulina than Dreaming Way... tough choices. But I do like how this question doesn't concern forever, only a period of time.

That's a really nice mix of choices there. You've got two classic systems (Thoth and RWS) and then a couple of lovely softer decks and then a new classic in the WU. I love that you switched out two decks after thinking on it some more. I gave people the option of a year only because I know how anxiety inducing trying to pick five decks for life can be! :)

lalalibra

That's a really nice mix of choices there. You've got two classic systems (Thoth and RWS) and then a couple of lovely softer decks and then a new classic in the WU. I love that you switched out two decks after thinking on it some more. I gave people the option of a year only because I know how anxiety inducing trying to pick five decks for life can be! :)

Thank you! :) Although I am not so sure if I'm as big of a fan of my indecisive nature! ;) I've come this close to switching something out again.

The Wild Unknown indeed has become quite iconic in that respect... I would have to take the Thoth because it's my main deck, the one I work the closest with and the one I do the most earnest study with. But I'm not the kind to stay away from my other decks for long. The Morgan-Greer I chose over the Smith-Waite because it's so colorful and I need that 70s vibe somewhere in my Tarot life.

At first, my impulse was that the Paulina and the Shadowscapes were too similar to take both, but while they're both soft in their style of art, they have their differences in character, and I think they tend to get grouped together because there's a similar appeal; people who like one usually like the other, and both decks have a lot of tiny details to explore. But the Shadowscapes is, to me, more dramatic, ethereal; whereas the Paulina is also whimsical, but quirky, with a sense of humor. I think I would be more inclined to reach for the Paulina if I were looking to brighten the mood... although the colors in the Paulina aren't very bright, but the sort of mood it gives off to me is like thunderstorms & rainbows, overcast skies over fields densely populated with flowers...

But my heart is ACHING over the thought of not having put Tarot of the Hidden Realm on the list... lol! I may have to tack that on in secret as my 6th deck, you know, just have that smuggled in somewhere hidden along my other things. How dearly I love all my cards! But the Tarot of the Hidden Realm really brings something unique too, and I wouldn't want to leave it behind.