Listening to Literal Readings of the Pictures

laurab

I just wanted to pipe in to speak to the importance of listening to what you're being told. And possibly proof why you can't always read for yourself.

Friday I misplaced my cellphone so i just decided to draw some cards to figure out where it could have gone.

I drew cards like the Heirophant (in my mythic deck the Heirophant is in a cave) Strength (Also in a cave) The Devil.

I also drew a bunch of King and Queen cards (thrones, seats)

I drew cards that depicted bodies of water.

And, of course I drew the Fool.

I was certain the thing was gone for good because there was just no possible way I could have left it at work, I was CERTAIN!

Yeah, so it was at work...

1. Under the desk (in a dark cave like cubby)

2. Where I sit (my throne)

3. The building sits along the river (body of water).

4. It apparently fell out of my bag when I wasn't paying attention (Fool)

I thought all of it was nonsense at the time I was drawing cards and I spent the weekend fretting about it.

I guess part of me has a hard time reading the cards on a literal and mundane level a lot of times too. My tendency is to think that every card has a huge figurative meaning EVERY time. So instead of just trusting that the court cards I drew only meant to point me to my SEAT, I thought I had to look at the person in the card to find the missing object.

trixiebee

From your first few card descriptions, I thought you were going to tell us you left it in the bathroom. Throne, water, etc. ;)

Sushi

LOL If I recall correctly someone else on here misplaced their keys and pulled the 4 of coins, which resembles someone sitting on the pot. They apparently found them in the bathroom next to the toilet.

Sophie

Oh this happens to me all the time! I misplaced a bracelet once - it was the week-end and I turned over the flat. I drew the Magician, the 8 of Pentacles and the Ace of Swords. I concluded I had left it at work, even though I was sure I had it on on Friday night.

It was on my desk (Magician's desk) at work (8 of Pents), and I'd slipped it round my pen-holder (Ace of Swords).

Another time, I'd lost an earring - I drew a Baroque Bohemian Cat Page of Cups. I couldn't figure it out until I saw he was looking down. I looked down in two or three places - and sure enough, it was on the floor.

Funny thing, tarot!

Umbrae

laurab said:
I just wanted to pipe in to speak to the importance of listening to what you're being told. And possibly proof why you can't always read for yourself.
I think we can read for ourselves.

The problem is we over think things. We think we KNOW what the cards are telling us because our personal bias tells us that we KNOW.

Just takes practice listening...

GREAT story laurab. Good stuff.